Archived Topic

The System

by AmmonCougar1 · 1/6/2014

Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
I did a search for "System" in the football related threads and couldn't find anything specifically about it back about 6 pages other than a comment by Sno about money so I'm starting one on the book The System--The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football.



I'll offer up just a couple observations and am interested in what those of you who have read it think.



* I found it pretty flattering as a BYU fan that from page one BYU was talked about. It detailed Mike Leach's rugby playing days and marriage while at BYU. It also detailed exactly why we will NEVER see Leach on BYU campus as a BYU coach...ever. He is one of the most foul-mouthed people I've ever read about or met. He is one of the major reasons that I will be returning the book to Barnes and Noble today after having read only the first 6 chapters plus the chapter on Bronco and Van Noy.



* I was saddened to read the most detailed account of the BYU gang rape scandal that took place back in the 2004. I was mildly surprised that Crowton had received in writing after his third year that he had to be 6-5 the next year or he was gone.



* I was further saddened to learn that Karland Bennett, one of the Texas boys involved in the gang rape but, (according to the article) the one who did the least to harm the girl and the most to protect the girl, is now in jail in Texas living out a 40 year sentence for murder after a drug deal went bad.



* I absolutely loved the story of Kyle Van Noy and how he ended up at BYU. I am 100% convinced that it was his commitment to Bronco and Bronco's commitment to him that kept him at BYU his Sr. season. Kyle is one of the most visible and obvious reasons why Bronco will be at BYU as long as he wants the job. As an aside to this, and this is not just BYU homer in me speaking, I think just as the Blindside made a pretty sweet movie, there really is a great story line waiting for a movie to be made of it from Kyle's experience.



* Lastly, as I mentioned earlier, the language in the book is too coarse for me to continue reading it or keep it in my home. I hoped it was confined to Leach and his first chapter but unfortunately the book is laced with F-bombs and very crass language and which I choose not to read and try to overlook. Side note--Leach is a weanie with how he treated Adam James but Craig James is a weanie with how he pushed the issue too. They are both weanies!



Take all this for what it's worth. There is no doubt college sports and specifically college football are corrupt...perhaps beyond fixing. I for one am proud to be a Cougar fan where I'm confident as much as done as possible to run a clean program. I'm astounded that BYU is as competitive as they are as often as they are given the degree of garbage that goes on in so many places.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
S
snoscythe
The chapters about Nick Saban at Alabama are fascinating as well.
C
Cougarbib
Apparently Bronco has a decent relationship with 1 player.



;)



PS



Jeff Benedict published an autobiography about Tito Momen recently. The title is, "My Name Used To Be Muhammed." Actually he and Tito co-authored it.



Anyone read it? I am planning to buy several copies and have Tito sign them when I am in Utah in about 10 days from now.



I hope the language is not too much of an issue - but Tito was beaten and tortured and disowned for joining The LDS Church. He was imprisoned for life - but The Lord worked in mysterious ways to get him paroled after 15 years.



He has been on the cover of LDS Living.



I just met him Sunday. Inspiring man. Humble.



Of course Benedict also wrote the Sports Illustrated article on Hadley.



Must be tough being an LDS Author trying to accurately tell a story about bad situations and paint the picture without repeating the bad words.



A close friend of mine and ultra BYU fan met Tito Momen when Tito was in prison in Egypt years ago. My friend was serving a couples mission. My friend recently had a reunion with Tito and then let me know Tito was coming to California.



If you have not heard this story - google Tito Momen.



There are even more details to the story when you hear it in person. He has an inspiring testimony and has experienced many miracles.
S
SpoCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Apparently Bronco has a decent relationship with 1 player.



;)



PS



Jeff Benedict published an autobiography about Tito Momen recently. The title is, "My Name Used To Be Muhammed." Actually he and Tito co-authored it.



Anyone read it? I am planning to buy several copies and have Tito sign them when I am in Utah in about 10 days from now.



I hope the language is not too much of an issue - but Tito was beaten and tortured and disowned for joining The LDS Church. He was imprisoned for life - but The Lord worked in mysterious ways to get him paroled after 15 years.



He has been on the cover of LDS Living.



I just met him Sunday. Inspiring man. Humble.



Of course Benedict also wrote the Sports Illustrated article on Hadley.



Must be tough being an LDS Author trying to accurately tell a story about bad situations and paint the picture without repeating the bad words.



A close friend of mine and ultra BYU fan met Tito Momen when Tito was in prison in Egypt years ago. My friend was serving a couples mission. My friend recently had a reunion with Tito and then let me know Tito was coming to California.



If you have not heard this story - google Tito Momen.



There are even more details to the story when you hear it in person. He has an inspiring testimony and has experienced many miracles.


I've been thinking about buying this book. I assume (but it's not totally clear to me) that you have read it and are recommending it?
C
Cougarbib
Spo

I have not read it. Read a teaser online. Read reviews on line.



I definitely recommend the story. I heard it first hand and talked with Tito one on one as well as hearing him tell the story to a special session in Church. We exchanged numbers. He wrote an email about us sharing our testimonies as visitors to the Camarillo 6th Ward. He texted me later. He is just a very sincere and very nice man. Bright. Articulate. Well Educated.



I am hoping the book conveys the Spirit that is part of the story as well as Tito conveys it in person.



When I read it I will report back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.