Archived Topic

A Season of Discontent

by EM_Puma · 1/3/2014

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
After I spent all the money I did to go to the Fight Hunger Bowl and see BYU lay an egg (there was enough of other things that made it so it was still a great trip), followed the next day by a loss in BB to Pepperdine (our 4th loss in a row, 5th in the last 6 games), I swore to myself that I would need to take a vacation from BYU sports as this last month has been terribly painful.



Most indications to me are that generally most BYU fans seem to be hurting just as much. I can honestly say, that in this current day of on-line media/sports chat, that this seems to me to be the most vexing time ever for a BYU fan in recent history. The sting of 4 losses in a row to Puketah in FB and a double whammy in losing mens/women's games in BB this season. It's been a long time since we've lost this many BB games in a row. I've simply never known such a level of discontent. Fans are generally pissed.



I honestly don't know what to do. My life has possibly been involved too much in BYU sports and although since last Saturday I've not been on this site and others as much, I don't have anything else to meet the need that BYU sports has given me and I don't know if I can be detached from BYU sports. I understand that such behavior indicates I'm more of the "fair weather" fan. I remember when I wrote for two years for CougarBlue.com that it was hard to sit down and write on BYU sports if there were tough losses. I gained such an appreciation for Greg Wrubell that he could show up for each of the games in BYU's 1-25 BB campaign. That would be tough because it would personally hurt if you were an actual fan and not just a reporter, which I would say describes GW.



I know this isn't the end of the world by any means, but I do believe it has been tough to be a BYU fan this season and it's been awhile since we've had to endure this much challenge and see so much frustration in other BYU fans.
N
NDCougar
You are not alone, most BYU friends are in the same boat. The issue is that things don't seem to be turning a corner for football. We could handle mediocre years if we new that there could be a big year around the corner, but it is not looking that way. It seems that we will be stuck in no man's land for a while.



I expect 7-5 to 9-3 seasons for a long time to come, with a bad year being 7-5 and a break out year 10-2.
B
BoiseBYU
Puma, my friend, it is always darkest before the dawn! The past year I have learned how spoiled I have become as a BYU fan. (I am NOT saying you are spoiled too, just that I was) 75% wins in FB; 25 wins a year in BB. etc etc etc I needed to step back and realize that I can't take for granted such levels of performance. I've also learned that life is more than wins. I watched a little kid soccer game and the kids lost literally in the last 10 seconds on a goal to the other team. The coach thought they'd be devastated and starting telling them how proud he was of them and how they'd stop the goal the next time and to hold their heads up and in mid-sentence one of the kids raised his hands and the coach called on the kid. He asked, "what's the treat today?" Haha. the kids had moved on! And I thought so can I (I was the coach) I know it's not the same blah blah blah, but in some ways it is. Move on and dream big (except for jacksonman who will squash anyone talking national championship ;) ) In the meantime, Go Cougars!
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
Puma, my friend, it is always darkest before the dawn! The past year I have learned how spoiled I have become as a BYU fan. (I am NOT saying you are spoiled too, just that I was) 75% wins in FB; 25 wins a year in BB. etc etc etc I needed to step back and realize that I can't take for granted such levels of performance. I've also learned that life is more than wins. I watched a little kid soccer game and the kids lost literally in the last 10 seconds on a goal to the other team. The coach thought they'd be devastated and starting telling them how proud he was of them and how they'd stop the goal the next time and to hold their heads up and in mid-sentence one of the kids raised his hands and the coach called on the kid. He asked, "what's the treat today?" Haha. the kids had moved on! And I thought so can I (I was the coach) I know it's not the same blah blah blah, but in some ways it is. Move on and dream big (except for jacksonman who will squash anyone talking national championship ;) ) In the meantime, Go Cougars!


This. Exactly this. Nothing but this - so help me.....



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
BoiseBYU wrote:
Puma, my friend, it is always darkest before the dawn!


Thanks, it's good to hear some fans not slitting their wrists because of despair. Cougar Board is repleat with fans wanting to jump from the nearest skyscraper.



I'm just hoping my Buckeye boys come through for me tonight or I'll be looking for the highest building and there isn't much to choose from her in Utah County.

;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.