B
Brayden GreenHere is BYU's main problem (and it won't be a surprise to anyone watching the games):
They are scoring the 2 and giving up the 3. (Or only scoring 1 of 2 from the line... :gross: )
They could shoot as well as the team they are defending and still lose the back and forth battle, because teams are shooting an unprecedented rate from behind the line. The only people from BYU that can score the 3 don't do so consistently enough (Carlino, Haws, and Halford).
Their 3-2 zone sucks. It is just really, really bad. That is the whole problem of this team.
I have been saying for a year and a half that Austin needed to be in the starting lineup, but now that I see the results in this starting lineup I am not so sure. I am not saying that he doesn't *deserve* to be in the lineup. The kid has mad hustle and work ethic. But he doesn't really have any offensive impact and the points aren't coming from inside, and even on the inside he isn't a defensive menace to people driving in. I like Austin, and I am not bagging on him. And he isn't the main problem. If our guards could play zone (or man would be even better), he would be fine for us.
Now to the main finger pointing part of the post. The guard/forward position. Carlino is a great man defender, but just okay at zone (goes under screens instead of over, etc). Haws can't guard shooting guards, and can't play zone. KColl is a step slow for the outside shot.
So here is what I think they should do (wherever personnel would allow them):
Insert Halford into the starting lineup as a shooting guard and take Austin out and play man. Slide KC down to 4, and play small. KC actually can play PF, I have been watching him body up to people, and he is great at rebounding and boxing out. Play man. This would allow Haws to guard small forwards instead of shooting guards, and there is a greater chance that he will keep up.
PG - Carlino
SG - Halford
SF - Haws
PF - KColl
C - Mika
6th man: Austin (comes off bench for foul trouble, or 8 minutes in. Whichever comes first).
This way BYU could have a big man coming off the bench (don't have one in worthington or sharp) and can play a little harder than normal. Also, KC going against a PF (if they were playing man on us) would be easy buckets. Halford and Carlino could keep the pace up in transition. Obviously this won't work against teams starting 2 7 footers, but how many of those are there in the WCC? This is about winning out, winning the tourney and getting an NCAA invite. We can adjust rosters back at anytime that we need to, but I believe this needs to be the starting lineup and we HAVE to go man defense. This team gets blown out of the water early on 3's and teams are exploiting their bad zone defense.
They are scoring the 2 and giving up the 3. (Or only scoring 1 of 2 from the line... :gross: )
They could shoot as well as the team they are defending and still lose the back and forth battle, because teams are shooting an unprecedented rate from behind the line. The only people from BYU that can score the 3 don't do so consistently enough (Carlino, Haws, and Halford).
Their 3-2 zone sucks. It is just really, really bad. That is the whole problem of this team.
I have been saying for a year and a half that Austin needed to be in the starting lineup, but now that I see the results in this starting lineup I am not so sure. I am not saying that he doesn't *deserve* to be in the lineup. The kid has mad hustle and work ethic. But he doesn't really have any offensive impact and the points aren't coming from inside, and even on the inside he isn't a defensive menace to people driving in. I like Austin, and I am not bagging on him. And he isn't the main problem. If our guards could play zone (or man would be even better), he would be fine for us.
Now to the main finger pointing part of the post. The guard/forward position. Carlino is a great man defender, but just okay at zone (goes under screens instead of over, etc). Haws can't guard shooting guards, and can't play zone. KColl is a step slow for the outside shot.
So here is what I think they should do (wherever personnel would allow them):
Insert Halford into the starting lineup as a shooting guard and take Austin out and play man. Slide KC down to 4, and play small. KC actually can play PF, I have been watching him body up to people, and he is great at rebounding and boxing out. Play man. This would allow Haws to guard small forwards instead of shooting guards, and there is a greater chance that he will keep up.
PG - Carlino
SG - Halford
SF - Haws
PF - KColl
C - Mika
6th man: Austin (comes off bench for foul trouble, or 8 minutes in. Whichever comes first).
This way BYU could have a big man coming off the bench (don't have one in worthington or sharp) and can play a little harder than normal. Also, KC going against a PF (if they were playing man on us) would be easy buckets. Halford and Carlino could keep the pace up in transition. Obviously this won't work against teams starting 2 7 footers, but how many of those are there in the WCC? This is about winning out, winning the tourney and getting an NCAA invite. We can adjust rosters back at anytime that we need to, but I believe this needs to be the starting lineup and we HAVE to go man defense. This team gets blown out of the water early on 3's and teams are exploiting their bad zone defense.

