Archived Topic

Rose Done?

by Gunk · 1/1/2014

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Maybe it's just me, but Ross's past teams seemed a lot more organized, except maybe Jimmer's senior year. That was all Jimmer.



I wonder if he's less intense now, especially in the wake of his cancer. Has to throw you for a loop. Watching my own Dad battle cancer, it puts things in a bit of perspective. You're essentially living on barrowed time. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if it's affected Rose's mentality.



Or perhaps we're seein the residual effects of Rice leaving...



Either way, I wonder how many more seasons he has left.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Been wondering the same. He's bounced back from cancer once. This 2nd bout can't be encouraging long term. Maybe he is on borrowed time and the team senses it.



Way too premature, but i have No clue who would replace him. Current staff= nobody. Maybe Pope, but don't see him.

Rice? Would he come back?

Quincy Lewis? Too big of a leap?

Who else?
S
scott715
Quincy Levis needs to be an assistant coach first like Rose did. Rice won't move and he is not LDS.
B
BYULV
scott715 wrote:
Quincy Levis needs to be an assistant coach first like Rose did. Rice won't move and he is not LDS.


Rice is not the right fit if he's not LDS, but he may be forced to move out of UNLV if he doesn't get his team turned around as well. There has been a lot of anti-Rice talk down this way.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sweet. Bring him back ino the fold. Tom H is a convert.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
If we miss the NCAA Tournament two years in a row that's enough for me to want Rose gone. No idea who a good replacement would be, but that's the line for me. In football if we missed a bowl game two years in a row all heck would break loose.
S
Schmoe
byufan4ever wrote:
If we miss the NCAA Tournament two years in a row that's enough for me to want Rose gone.


Really? And just how regularly were we making the tourney before Rose?
B
byufan4ever
We were sucky before, rose to above average status, and are sinking back down to sucky and I guess that's okay...
G
Gunk
byufan4ever wrote:
We were sucky before, rose to above average status, and are sinking back down to sucky and I guess that's okay...

We were sucky before Cleveland. He brought us out of the cellar and after faltering for a couple of seasons Rose took over. Given Rose had a 7 year streak at one point, I'd be willing to give 3 seasons without making the tourney.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
We were sucky before, rose to above average status, and are sinking back down to sucky and I guess that's okay...

We were sucky before Cleveland. He brought us out of the cellar and after faltering for a couple of seasons Rose took over. Given Rose had a 7 year streak at one point, I'd be willing to give 3 seasons without making the tourney.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Gunk wrote:
We were sucky before, rose to above average status, and are sinking back down to sucky and I guess that's okay...

We were sucky before Cleveland. He brought us out of the cellar and after faltering for a couple of seasons Rose took over. Given Rose had a 7 year streak at one point, I'd be willing to give 3 seasons without making the tourney.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, but then all the Lone Peak guys show up don't they? Next year we'll be bad again. So I think Rose will need to get the 2016 season in as well to see what he can do. The biggest problem is that he's just missed on recruiting since Jimmer. We have no big depth, and nobody can shoot 3's. Granted that's a pretty huge miss considering every team we have played this season does both of those better than BYU...
B
BroncoBot
partially disagree. I think Rose has been a great recruiter considering he's at BYU.



Lone Peak crew may or may not be the answer, I think they'll be good though.



Jimmer was a once in a million type player who just happened to receive no big offers other than BYU and it worked out great for both parties.





This has been the most difficult schedule I've seen BYU play. There is a lot of youth on this team and some horrible FT shooters. We'll see if the FTs improve, but that's really the difference of being a top 15 team at this point and where BYU is now.
S
snoscythe
Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.

Terry (aka Frodo)? You can't be serious.



I'm not wishing Rose to hang up his whistle. Just noticed things seemed a bit off at the beginning of the season.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
thought the same when I read that article. A stellar survivor, for sure! My only solace is that now he has some recovery time to rest bc the recruiting hopper is full and brimming. Hope he gets some quality rest and recovery time.

My other solace is that with a lot of great recruits on the horizon, is that he wants to stay at least to the end of contract.

No way Terry gets the job. I hope. Maybe hes decent at X's and O's--i have no clue. But I wouldnt think he is much of a recruiter. he cant see over the coffee table when visiting with parents.

Would Dave Rice come back? Would he be any good? Seems like he would be better than TN.
S
snoscythe
I think we also need to pause a moment and remember that a lot of the current personnel issue on the hoops squad are a by-product of the missionary age change. Rose doesn't have the benefit of a 85-player roster to patch things up. It may take the program a couple more years to re-stabilize, regardless of the coach.
C
Cougarbib
Rose was probably impacted by it. And even so - made the Dance and won some big games.



Seriously folks. How many times since 1970 has BYU done better than 1 and done NCAA - not counting Dave Rose?



Look 40 miles North. How many coaches did they go through after Majerus?



Dave Rose gets BYU to the Dance as often as anyone is going to get us there.



What we are seeing is a drop in talent and experience. A double whammy post Jimmer. We did not just drop back to normal. We dropped below normal and are now working back up to Normal.



Jimmer was an anomaly. Emery was better than normal. Throw in a Davies and a Hartsock and that was unusual talent. Did I mention Charles Abouo, Kyle Collinsworth, and Anson Winder. Talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.

Also, Jaime Hill will allow Bronco to step down as DC, and Brandon Doman will take over for Mendenhall as head coach eventually...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.