Archived Topic

OL & TE's

by mizzoucoug · 12/31/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I'm not great at keeping up with recruiting/transfer news in the offseason so I was curious if anyone has any good to great news regarding these, imo the most important, position groups.



I know about TFab from TCU on the O-line. Anyone else that is close to a sure thing?



And I have no idea about TE's, but know we haven't had one in 4 years.
S
scott715
3 star Bushman is coming at TE. I don't know if he is serving a mission or LDS. I think 3 star Jorgensen is coming home from a mission. We did not sign anyone yet who could step in on the OL. Maybe someone who redshirted or is returning from a mission.
C
Cougarbib
TFAB is a huge risk. Academics. Stability. Homesick. Lazy. All conjecture but these things have been said in the past.

He can play football if he can get on and stay on the field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
T Fab is now a senior, I only see academics as a possible issue.
F
Fido
scott715 wrote:
3 star Bushman is coming at TE. I don't know if he is serving a mission or LDS. I think 3 star Jorgensen is coming home from a mission. We did not sign anyone yet who could step in on the OL. Maybe someone who redshirted or is returning from a mission.

Reportedly Bushman is serving a mission first: http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2013/10/14/4839350/two-sport-star-matt-bushman-commits-with-byu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
F
Fido
I don't know if it helps or not but LoyalCougars shows these returning missionaries are expected back at these positions:

OL

Dallas Doane True Fr

Corbin Kaufusi True Fr

Ului Lapuaho True Fr

Manu Mulitalo RS So

Brian Rawlinson True Fr



TE

Trevor Brown RS Fr

Grant Jones RS Fr

Colby Jorgensen RS Fr

Matt Sumsion True Fr
S
scott715
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=11808317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Some detail on TEs.



TE: At Tight End, we're a little deeper. Brad Heap was a redshirt freshman who didn't play a down this year. I'm not sure what the story is with him. Terenn Houk will be a Junior. Devin Mahina will be a senior. Brett Thompson will be a senior. We also have Bryan Sampson who will be a sophomore. Sampson played in one game this year and had zero receptions.



Returned Missionaries:

Trevor Brown is a 6'5 TE from Timpview that will be a freshman this fall. He's a walk-on, so he's not expected to be a contributor. Grant Jones is the same thing - 6'5 walk on TE. Colby Jorgensen is a 6'7 TE that had a medical redshirt year before his mission. Matt Sumsion is a 6'8 TE that will be a redshirt freshman.
J
jvquarterback
Best case scenario on the OL for next year:



Kearsley, Mathews, Wesley, Alletto (and Yeck, Kafu and the rest of the OL)improve under Anae and Tujague. Fabuluje comes in ready to go and has a season like his last at TCU. Mama and Mike do some soul searching and decide to commit and one of them is good enough to start at OG right away.



Ului Lapuaho 3* and Graham Rowley 4* get back in January so look for them to contribute next year. Kaufusi, Doane, and Mulitalo don't get back until May or June so I'm not expecting much from them for next year. Jordan Black's been home a year now so hopefully he's got his legs back.



Anae should slow down the offense against teams that are deeper than BYU (Texas and UCF). And speed up against weaker teams to get the 2-3 deep more reps.



Next year could be great depending on how well the OL develops.



Long term goals should be to recruit the best guys on the OL. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see guys like Chandon Herring and Tejan Koroma doing much over their careers. BYU missed this year on OL with Quinn Bailey because of the early offer to Herring though Bailey might have gone to ASU anyway.
S
scott715
What about the JC Carter? We never heard from him this year. I thought Oregon had recruited him?
M
mizzoucoug
Bronco said the player he is most excited about this season is Lapuaho. 6'7" 280. "Already looks like an All-Pro O-lineman."



Hopefully some of these RM's are able to come in and turn things around for the program. The signing today look good, but odds are only a few pan out.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
mizzoucoug wrote:
Bronco said the player he is most excited about this season is Lapuaho. 6'7" 280. "Already looks like an All-Pro O-lineman."



Hopefully some of these RM's are able to come in and turn things around for the program. The signing today look good, but odds are only a few pan out.


This is good news if true. it adds a least one more ready and talented player to the line. then you have improvement that hopefully comes with a year more of conditioning and preparing.



if lapuaho can contribute at a higher level than some of the others, ryker is healthy, and the others improve slightly then we will certainly be better. not tons but better. we just need a little pass protection. if tayson has some time he will improve and our receivers will be better.



cross our fingers that they are better. i have little faith.
C
Cougarbib
The schedule alone will make us look better. In addition to that, I am getting a little optimistic that our offense will actually be better and our defense will be equal or better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
Cougarbib wrote:
The schedule alone will make us look better. In addition to that, I am getting a little optimistic that our offense will actually be better and our defense will be equal or better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There is some reason to be optimistic there, if nothing more than continuity. This will be the first time in a while that all of the coaches are returning. That has to be worth something.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.