Archived Topic

Notre Dame Refusing Bowl Bids

by Y&Brit · 12/5/2009

Advertisement
Y
Y&Brit
I just caught the convo but missed the reason why on the Ohio-C. Michigan game (MAC refs are so bad...i'd love them to ref our bowl-they ruled a 5 step pass completion as an incomplete pass, he fumbled at the end)



Anyways ND fired the coach and they said something about no interim coach, but is that any reason to refuse a bowl?



ND is lame
C
craigoscarson
Things are so dysfunctional there now, that going to a bowl game, even against an inferior opponent would risk a losing season and hurt their recruiting even more. THOUGH - The odds are against this ND team that they'll be able to turn it around next season, especially with a much tougher schedule and without Clausen, Tate, and Young (their only good Olineman) so there's a good chance they don't go bowling next year too...
W
wazzucoug97
at least we don't have to listen to Holtz projecting a Irish NC next season :P
C
craigoscarson
wazzucoug97 wrote:
at least we don't have to listen to Holtz projecting a Irish NC next season :P


Holtz will still do it... :sick:
G
GolfDiveNCougs
During halftime of the game yesterday, he said they'd be competing for the national title within two years! Unbelievable. The man is a moron.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
During halftime of the game yesterday, he said they'd be competing for the national title within two years! Unbelievable. The man is a moron.

No, just hopeless homer. He likes his team and isn't afraid to show it. I'm sure I'm just like him a lot of the time. But then, maybe I'm also a moron.
B
byutx
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.
C
cougdoc
I think this hurts recruiting, both of players and replacement coaches. ND is basically saying that they have a higher standard than the rest of the NCAA, because even if the team meets the inclusion criteria from the NCAA, they may not go bowling if they don't feel like it. Tough to sell that to the new coach.
B
BerliNY
byutx wrote:
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.


In 2004 ND went 6-5, fired the HC (Willingham), went to the Insight bowl with the DC as interim HC, came back and hired a new HC.



I don't know what about the 2009 team is so different.



To me it's a slap in the face of every kid who plays his heart out for his scholarship but whose team goes 5-6. Don't you think that kid would take ANY bowl invite he got?



WWRD (What would Rudy do?)
C
Cougy_Monster
BerliNY wrote:
WWRD (What would Rudy do?)


There was a time when the Michigan vs ND games were important. My favorite part of those games was seeing entire Michigan student sections with shirts that read "Rudy Sucks".



Classic.

Advertisement
B
byutx
BerliNY wrote:
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.


In 2004 ND went 6-5, fired the HC (Willingham), went to the Insight bowl with the DC as interim HC, came back and hired a new HC.



I don't know what about the 2009 team is so different.

Smart-a response: ND played football before 2004.

Nice response: I'm talking about "pre-1990's" past.
K
kiwibacon
byutx wrote:
byutx wrote:
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.


In 2004 ND went 6-5, fired the HC (Willingham), went to the Insight bowl with the DC as interim HC, came back and hired a new HC.



I don't know what about the 2009 team is so different.

Smart-a response: ND played football before 2004.

Nice response: I'm talking about "pre-1990's" past.

A quick google search will show you that ND has done it in the past.



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-notredame-bowl&prov=ap&type=lgns
The school decided against going to a bowl game in 1996 after Lou Holtz resigned as coach. An overtime loss to USC in the regular-season finale cost them a shot at a major bowl that season.



For years, Notre Dame refused to play in bowls. The Irish played in the Rose Bowl in 1925, then didn’t appear in another bowl until coach Ara Parseghian finally persuaded the university to let the ninth-ranked Irish play top-ranked Texas in the 1970 Cotton Bowl.



But the decision to play in bowl games came with the proviso: that Notre Dame play a higher-ranked team or one that could help the Irish improve their own ranking. That condition no longer exists.
S
snoscythe
At least someone takes "BCS or Bust" seriously.
I
Italics
wazzucoug97 wrote:
at least we don't have to listen to Holtz projecting a Irish NC next season :P


You are underestimating Holtz
B
BerliNY
byutx wrote:
byutx wrote:
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.


In 2004 ND went 6-5, fired the HC (Willingham), went to the Insight bowl with the DC as interim HC, came back and hired a new HC.



I don't know what about the 2009 team is so different.

Smart-a response: ND played football before 2004.

Nice response: I'm talking about "pre-1990's" past.


OK, yeah I know. My point is that they were in the EXACT same situation 5 years ago and still accepted a non-major bowl game invitation.



That's a great "smart-a" response though ... zing.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Here's what you do: because you're arrogant, you refuse to give your returning players extra practices and one more game to get better. You refuse to give your seniors a happy send off and a chance to go out on a high note. You blame your head coach for the problems you've been having but you punish the players, nice.
S
snoscythe
BerliNY wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
This is something that ND has done in the past, I believe.


In 2004 ND went 6-5, fired the HC (Willingham), went to the Insight bowl with the DC as interim HC, came back and hired a new HC.



I don't know what about the 2009 team is so different.

Smart-a response: ND played football before 2004.

Nice response: I'm talking about "pre-1990's" past.


OK, yeah I know. My point is that they were in the EXACT same situation 5 years ago and still accepted a non-major bowl game invitation.



That's a great "smart-a" response though ... zing.


Actually, the situation is quite different. Weiss also served as the offensive coordinator, and ND doesn't have anyone they feel confident can put together an offensive game plan in a short time and get it implemented and somehow not get blown out.



When Willingham was fired, he was only the head coach. Both the OC and DC were still with the team, so it was more an administrative matter to give the DC interim HC status. Here, ND simply has no one who can get the job done.
C
craigoscarson
The difference between being 6-6 and going bowling and 6-5 and bowling = 6-6 can potentially finish with a losing season.



I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do, but I'm not suprised it's what ND is doing.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.