Archived Topic

Doman Fired mid-season?

by SpiffCoug · 12/25/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I was driving to the in-laws yesterday for Christmas and was listening to Cougar Sports Radio (Alema & Criddle) and one of them - I think it was Criddle - said that Holmoe called Anae in the middle of the season last year about coming back to BYU and if he (Anae) would be interested.



Here's how the conversation went - as best as I can recall:



Criddle: Yeah, Holmoe called Anae last year during the season to see if he would come back.

Alema: Are you sure about that?

Criddle: Yeah. I remember hearing that last year.

Alema: Is that common knowledge?

Criddle: I thought so. I remember hearing or reading about it last year.

Alema: Wow. I don't remember that. Because that's pretty big news.



Does anyone remember hearing anything like that? I do remember Holmoe talking about how sometimes Nelson needed to be reined or something to that affect. But I don't remember any talk of Anae before he was hired.
C
Cougs_Rule
I don't recall hearing anything like that. I can remember being quite fired up about Riley and him running this team how he saw fit.

Not only am I not surprised, I asserted then (after the GT win and Atypical post game interview by Tom Holmoe) that TH had inserted himself into this team and asserted himself on this coaching staff. And some of you scoffed me for that and you need to reconsider that TH did indeed start coaching from the Admin office relative to fixing the problems.

TH was searching and prepping Domans exit.

Maybe Doman was largely responsible for allowing Riley to play injured and play as he did, but Bronco was more involved, allowing Rily and Doman to sink their boats.

But clearly, TH was more involved that some folks on here wanted to admit.
C
Cougarbib
Never heard Anae mentioned, but Holme did indicate that their were staff chemistry issues that needed to be addressed and that would be addressed. The tone at that time seemed to indicate that he had specific changes in mind.
C
Cougs_Rule
That's right. He tweeted, "yes, Cougar fans, things need to improve." Or words to that effect. But clearly he was sending a msg to fans and I suspect big donors.
S
SpiffCoug
Kind of interesting what we can now see in retrospect.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
You can only jump to conclusions based on what I saw published. It was certainly not clear that a complete white - wash was coming. It was clear that changes were coming to resolve personality conflicts on the staff and that "it would all be good".



I did see a Doman quote that indicated that he believed the SJSU game sealed his fate as OC. But, Iit was also pretty clear that he thought he could choose to return as QB coach if he wanted to do so.



IDK if Holme was implying anything more than Reynolds retiring. Weber was smart enough to get out of town. Dupaix, Cahoon, and Doman were clearly caught by surprise.



Haven't seen their names surface yet this year, either. Huge fall.



I think things evolved and mushroomed at the end after TH made that initial comment and the rest of the season unfolded.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Doman wasn't fired until Anae was in the office at BYU.



Holmoe may have known he wasn't going to let Doman stay at OC at midseason, but Doman wasn't fired until January. The most telling thing to me about this whole process has been what Doman hasn't made public--it shows he's a 100% BYU guy, regardless of staff in place.
C
Cougs_Rule
Kind of interesting How folks sometimes have to have data hit them in the face.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Kind of interesting How folks sometimes have to have data hit them in the face.


What data?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Those who have eyes to see.......already saw. Keep up.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
Doman wasn't fired until Anae was in the office at BYU.



Holmoe may have known he wasn't going to let Doman stay at OC at midseason, but Doman wasn't fired until January. The most telling thing to me about this whole process has been what Doman hasn't made public--it shows he's a 100% BYU guy, regardless of staff in place.


Now you are getting logical. You know that won't work, it is much better to assume something else happened because it fits your life template.
S
snoscythe
Not logical. Just what I know. The firing of Doman was absolutely botched when it went down in January, and Doman could have had a field day setting the program into a turmoil had he cared to make any of it public. The fact he continues to keep that fiasco and PR nightmare under wraps is demonstrative of his continued loyalty to BYU, despite the manner in which he was unnecessarily and roughly shown the door in January.
F
frdbtr
Doman's a stand up guy. I have heard some interviews with him after the firing and you could tell he was hurting. I just hope other ventures he is working on work out for him and he finds happiness outside of football because I don't anticipate seeing him back at BYU and he has said he doesn't want to coach anywhere else.
C
Cougarbib
I have always been a Brandon Doman fan. It seems that his heart was not fully vested in being a football coach. Perhaps getting too much too soon took the fire out of his belly. Firings are seldom tidy. If your heart is in coaching, you pick yourself up off the ground and claw your way back up.
S
stuckinbig10country
If Doman hadn't cancelled his interview at Weber State, he'd be their coach right now.



Sno knows something, and from the little bit that I've heard, he's accurate with what he's insinuating above.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
If Doman hadn't cancelled his interview at Weber State, he'd be their coach right now.



Sno knows something, and from the little bit that I've heard, he's accurate with what he's insinuating above.


I have no idea what he is insinuating, but often fired coaches have a severance type payout that would pay out less if they take another coaching job.



Doman could be coaching somewhere if he was willing to make the sacrifices coaches make.
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
If Doman hadn't cancelled his interview at Weber State, he'd be their coach right now.



Sno knows something, and from the little bit that I've heard, he's accurate with what he's insinuating above.


I have no idea what he is insinuating, but often fired coaches have a severance type payout that would pay out less if they take another coaching job.



Doman could be coaching somewhere if he was willing to make the sacrifices coaches make.


He has said that he is only willing to make those sacrifices at BYU, I don't expect him to coach anywhere else.
S
scott715
Then he will never return to the Y. He needs more experience under other coaches and improve his knowledge.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Then he will never return to the Y. He needs more experience under other coaches and improve his knowledge.


Exactly. That is what I meant by too much too fast. Doman views himself as the best QB coach in the country because Bronco told him he was exactly that. He views himself as an OC at a major D1 Program, because BYU handed that title to him on a silver platter much like he was handed the QB coach job with zip experience.



IDK if his heart was in coaching in the beginning. It clearly isn't now. Coaching requires sacrifice. Coaching jobs at BYU are soft. Sundays off. Skip a few practices here and there. Short practices. Football 5th priority. Family time.



I am OK with that for the most part.



I wish Doman well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I don't know if he'll coach again. Weber wouldn't have interviewed anyone else had he not cancelled on them. He was the guy they wanted.



If he does want to coach again, he'll probably need to take a job this year somewhere. Staying out of coaching too long and opportunities stop coming.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.