gmj81 wrote:
Chambers will be an absolute terror next year. McKay will blow by everyone with his 4.3 speed. Ashworth will make us think Austin Collie has somehow come back for his last year of eligibility. Hafoka provides another dependable option. Apo might just end up being the most productive receiver ever at BYU.
Chambers
will be a beast, and Hafoka
does provide another dependable option, but I don't think Ashworth is going to make anyone think of Austin Collie (except to say "Ashworth is nothing like Collie"). I actually expect Hoffman to take many of the reps that Ashworth has been getting this year. He's bigger, faster, and more athletic than Ashworth is. Aside from Apo, Hoffman has more upside than any other receiver in the program.
I've been a big fan of McKay Jacobsen, but I'm not sure he's as fast as they say he is. I spent much of the Utah game watching him, and he found himself in single coverage much of the night (due to the bracket coverage that Pitta/George had been drawing) with no safety help over the top. Jacobsen wasn't exactly running away from Utah's corners. There were opportunities (single coverage) for long plays, but Jacobsen never did break open. He's really elusive in the open field, and I'm sure he's a legit low 4.5 guy, but he doesn't seem to be the real burner (sub 4.5 guy) that we'd hoped he was. We'll see.
The sky is the limit for Apo...I don't think we've ever had a receiver recruit like him. We've ever had a wideout with his combination of size, speed, hands, and route running ability. He will definitely see the field early.