Archived Topic

Now that it has been a few weeks, I can see the humor

by MesaCougFan · 12/19/2013

Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
A few weeks ago my beautiful bride, myself and a couple of friends made the trek out to Notre Dame for BYU vs. Notre Dame. Living in Mesa I don't make it to many games home or away, but I never miss them on the TV. This was the third game that I attended in South Bend. It was the first for my wife and our friends. We arrived in Chicago early Friday morning and headed straight to Notre Dame to take in the sights and sounds of that magnificent campus, and it didn't dissappoint. We were extra excited to participate in the Friday night fireside (I must say that it was the highlight of our trip). We were so excited that we arrived at 5:00 pm to ensure that we had great seats. We were over zealous because when we arrived the only other people in the building were the RS / Primary women who were having what appeared to be a presidency meeting.



The meeting was very short, but it was impressive to hear the team showcasing their other talents. I felt like a little kid as I waited to meet, take pictures with and have my commemorative ball signed by Rudy, Taysom and Bronco (I told Bronco that win or lose, I think he's the best college football coach in America, and I mean that).



I was so proud of my new treasure! When I went to put the ball back in the box it came in I accidentally smudged some of the ink that hadn't dried, so when I arrived back at our hotel (Courtyard Marriott in Benton Harbor, MI) I was careful to remove it and let it dry on my desk in my room.



The game atmosphere at Notre Dame is unmatched. The home fans the most courteous and kind that I have ever met. It was a real pleasure to be at the stadium, and even though the temperature was 7 degrees with the wind chill (which felt like -50 degrees to a guy from Mesa) we were well prepared and didn't die.



On Sunday morning when I started packing, I went to put my ball with three pretty cool signatures away, but noticed that it now had a fourth signature. It read "Yolanda Orozco be Happy". Apparently my maid thought it would be appropriate to leave her "please give me a tip note on my ball!" Are you kidding me! I was furious!



I marched down to the front desk to summon an apology / credit for my room charges. The lady at the front desk was quite understanding and remorseful and she introduced me to the manager (Chris).



Him: "Ha, that's funny! I'm sure she didn't mean it."



Me: "What do you mean, she signed her name."



Him: "Well I'm sure she wasn't being malicious. We tell our staff that they should leave notes"



Me: "I'm sure she wasn't being malicious either, but that's not the point."



Him: "What do you want me to do about it? I can't replace it. I can try to magic erase it?"



Me: "Apparently you don't understand that this ball has significance to me and my trip here?"



Him: "Oh, I understand, I have an Autographed Joe Montana jersey hanging in my office at home."



What I should have said: "Well you invite Yolanda over, and have her put her mark right next to ole' Joe's and then take a snapshot and send it to me and we'll be all square!"



I walked away. Not an I'm sorry, not an "I'll comp your room", nothing!



I used to be pretty loyal to Marriott. I can assure you I won't be from now on.



I have the ball with three pretty cool signatures and Yolanda's, and I would guess that I'm the only Cougar fan that does. It makes a pretty entertaining story, and I can look back and smile, even though on that Sunday morning I wanted to burn the place down.
W
Wolverine
That is a funny story. Now that you have Yolanda's name and workplace, you need to hook her up with the missionaries. :)
C
craigoscarson
You should 1. Write Marriott corporate a letter with a picture (just copy what you just wrote)



2. Put this story on facebook with a picture of the ball



3. Tell the story on youtube with a picture of the ball



I promise you this, Marriott will comp you big time ... my wife worked for the Hyatt and Sheraton corps for 10 years they would have given you at least a free weekend anywhere in the world.



BYU might get word of this (it's hilarious) and hook you up.



It's a really funny story up until Marriott management didn't take care of you. They will if you write them a letter.



Kind of ironic it's Marriott



My wife also just said, "If you stay in the high end hotels, they'll bend over backwards for you... but the moment you start cutting costs and stay in a courtyard or residence inn etc. the level of customer service drops... stay in high end and you have to cater to high end people who have tons of demands... "
B
BoiseBYU
You don;t get it! Yolanda IS Manti's long lost..... :crazy:
G
Guest
haha, that is really funny. I'm sorry for your ball, but what an amusing story.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
craigoscarson wrote:
You should 1. Write Marriott corporate a letter with a picture (just copy what you just wrote)



2. Put this story on facebook with a picture of the ball



3. Tell the story on youtube with a picture of the ball



I promise you this, Marriott will comp you big time ... my wife worked for the Hyatt and Sheraton corps for 10 years they would have given you at least a free weekend anywhere in the world.



BYU might get word of this (it's hilarious) and hook you up.



It's a really funny story up until Marriott management didn't take care of you. They will if you write them a letter.



Kind of ironic it's Marriott



My wife also just said, "If you stay in the high end hotels, they'll bend over backwards for you... but the moment you start cutting costs and stay in a courtyard or residence inn etc. the level of customer service drops... stay in high end and you have to cater to high end people who have tons of demands... "




Exactly, they will comp you can likely give you additional points and credit. If you travel enough they do anything...I travel a decent amount and I am often comp'ed things due to delays etc. The issue is it is Benton Harbor, not the smartest nor high-end group (meaning the city, I don't know the hotel). If it were Chicago you would have immediately comped and given something.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Should we turn this into worst hotel stays. I have a whopper of one but don't want to write it all out.
S
SpiffCoug
Time plust tragedy equals humor.
E
EM_Puma
Amazing story. Shocked someone wouldn't understand that it would be inappropriate to have written on an autographed football. Wow. Amazing that the Marriott did nothing to appease the problem caused by their employee, but hard not to chuckle at such a story.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Should we turn this into worst hotel stays. I have a whopper of one but don't want to write it all out.


I have had the hotel catch on fire. I have had the furnace go out in the entire building in January in New Jersey.



But nobody ever autographed my ball.
Advertisement
F
Fido
I'd LOVE to see you put that on Facebook with a picture of the ball and see how far that spreads with likes and shares. It would defintely go viral! And would in all likelihood get a response from someone at Marriott when they see their hotel being called out--let alone the manager getting a call to do some explaining. lol
G
Guest
I would definitely like to see a picture of that ball too.
M
MesaCougFan
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Q5nuYUjTd6M/UpQapdqOsrI/AAAAAAAAHKk/MIZ-qgJ06JI/s1600/IMG_1071_2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

My buddy, Rudy & me



http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0kYbwxha-jY/UpQapVhds3I/AAAAAAAAHKs/5b-s86EF7ro/s1600/IMG_1073_2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Me, Taysom and my buddy



http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qk2fJJP-P1A/UpQapRkiKjI/AAAAAAAAHKw/CT1JSUf6s1Q/s1600/IMG_1080_2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

My buddy, me & Bronco



http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KbaODbNQtew/UppBTJaLgOI/AAAAAAAAHLs/kDEF7NvdLxo/s1600/IMAG0475.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Yolanda Orozco B Happy!
M
MesaCougFan
Sorry about the picture size. I'm not sure how to fix that
C
Cougarbib
If you want me to ask my relative in the AD office to try to recreate the BYU autograph as - Rudy more of a long-shot, PM me and I will try.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
you sure Yolanda wasn't a player at some point??? #3?
C
Cougarbib
BroncoBot wrote:
you sure Yolanda wasn't a player at some point??? #3?


Rudy's imaginary girl friend.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.