Archived Topic

Dastrup and Toolson kicking butt

by craigoscarson · 12/17/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/richardobert/2013/12/16/azcentral-sports-boys-basketball-player-of-the-week-highland-g-jake-toolson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This week’s azcentral sports Boys Basketball Player of the Week:



Jake Toolson, Gilbert Highland, 6-5, Sr., G: Dominated both Phoenix Desert Vista and Mesa last week. Had 30 points, 22 rebounds and five assists in a 59-53 win over Desert Vista, following that up with 39 points and 16 rebounds in a 67-59 win over a Mesa team ranked among the top 10 in Division I. Mesa coach Shane Burcar called Toolson the most dominant opponent one of his teams had gone up against since Phoenix North’s Daniel Bejarano.



Best of the rest from Dec. 9-14:



- Mesa Mountain View senior center Payton Dastrup had games of 25 and 26 points, including a 23-rebound game, as the Toros went 3-1 in a tournament in Edmonton, Canada, where coach Gary Ernst won his 800th career game. The 23 rebounds was a single-game school record.
B
beauso79
Missions sure make for a long wait



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
beauso79 wrote:
Missions sure make for a long wait



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and one-year sit-out requirements. After the debacle on the hill I'm wishing Mika had gone straight on his mission so he'd get back with all of his eligibility. Oh well, go cougs.
C
craigoscarson
BerliNY wrote:
Missions sure make for a long wait



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and one-year sit-out requirements. After the debacle on the hill I'm wishing Mika had gone straight on his mission so he'd get back with all of his eligibility. Oh well, go cougs.


I'd rather have the depth spread out. I would be petrified if we had a nice run and then graduated everyone... our depth is well spread out and you can project solid teams for almost the next 10 years without massive drop off in any single year. (though our bigs next year give me a little pause... but we're talking long term here).
C
Cougs_Rule
craigoscarson wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
Missions sure make for a long wait



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and one-year sit-out requirements. After the debacle on the hill I'm wishing Mika had gone straight on his mission so he'd get back with all of his eligibility. Oh well, go cougs.


I'd rather have the depth spread out. I would be petrified if we had a nice run and then graduated everyone... our depth is well spread out and you can project solid teams for almost the next 10 years without massive drop off in any single year. (though our bigs next year give me a little pause... but we're talking long term here).


Good stuff Craig, thanks.

And yes, it is hard to imagine that Rose would need to call in the Smash for three years straight. I hope he comes this year, only bc, sadly, BYU needs some beef and fouls. But, I really doubt BK would play his Sr year, bc by then he would hopefully be totally focused on prepping for the draft.

But, part of the problem is that the post doesn't seem to be very thoroughly recruited, short of Mika. Rose is certainly a guard oriented, run and gun style.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
I think adding Aytes and Neilson really helps our front court become a strength next year. That's if Worthington can make any sort of improvement between now and then. That's if Worthington doesn't serve a mission and if he does we'll be combing the JC ranks for another 4.



On a side note - another guy that might be off the radar is Braiden Shaw. He's a 6'8" PF freak athlete that won camp MVP at BYU when he attended. He's basically Josh Sharp with a better shot and more height/size. It will be cool see some highlight reel dunks from him during his playing time at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
craigoscarson wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
Missions sure make for a long wait



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


and one-year sit-out requirements. After the debacle on the hill I'm wishing Mika had gone straight on his mission so he'd get back with all of his eligibility. Oh well, go cougs.


I'd rather have the depth spread out. I would be petrified if we had a nice run and then graduated everyone... our depth is well spread out and you can project solid teams for almost the next 10 years without massive drop off in any single year. (though our bigs next year give me a little pause... but we're talking long term here).


Matthew 6:34
G
Gunk
Next two years will be head scratchers for us.



We'll have holes in the front court next season. We'll then lose our back court and the following season we'll have a bunch of new talent but little experience.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.