Archived Topic

Board Reminder: Easy on the Insults

by SpiffCoug · 12/16/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
We moderators are growing concerned with the increase of personal insults recently on the board. Let this serve as both a reminder and a warning to keep it civil. We will be more aggressive in the deletion of and/or editing of posts that contain personal insults.



It is quite possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable.
M
Mars


By the way Scotten, I find you to be highly intelligent. And easy on the eyes, too! :D
C
craigoscarson
SpiffCoug wrote:
We moderators are growing concerned with the increase of personal insults recently on the board. Let this serve as both a reminder and a warning to keep it civil. We will be more aggressive in the deletion of and/or editing of posts that contain personal insults.



It is quite possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable.


I'm increasingly disappointed by the amount of interesting threads that take a huge turn and never make it back to the reason the thread was created or the interesting portion of the thread. I get when frutes come on this board and do it (and wish they were immediately removed.... airwolf brings nothing intelligent to the table), but Cougs vs Cougs is disappointing, particularly when it's ticky tacky stuff that doesn't improve the content of the thread itself.
S
scott715
Amen



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
I agree. I am asking all the moderators to be more aggressive in removing any posts that detract from the topic of the thread. Those kinds of posts detract from the message of CougarCorner. If you'd rather start a new topic with that information, that option is always available.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
There's a reason I don't post much anymore. Good luck.
N
nuk13
SpiffCoug wrote:
We moderators are growing concerned with the increase of personal insults recently on the board. Let this serve as both a reminder and a warning to keep it civil. We will be more aggressive in the deletion of and/or editing of posts that contain personal insults.



It is quite possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable.


It certainly is possible. A thread will be interesting when a disagreement will appear. There after increasingly caustic insults are hurled and the formerly interesting thread is now reduced to gutter talk. We get to see a lot of foul words that have been reduced to something that gets tolerated. I've often agreed with both the combatants but not this acidic environment. I stay on because I like Cougar sports and there are some very good opinions still expressed.
B
BoiseBYU
The good news is that the problem posters are in the distinct minority and the problem posts a smaller portion thereof. There's lots of good on this site. Maybe timeouts for the posters who cause the problems?
S
scott715
Sometimes I want to ask to be a mod just so that I can shut down the pissing matches. The CB site puts people on suspension all the time.
G
Guest
I and the other moderators have gotten pretty lenient on handing out timeouts when they are obviously warranted, as well as allowing trolls to stick around and inflame people for too long. I hope to tighten that up again.



I am also considering inviting a few select long time posters to join a leadership council where they can decide on issues pertinent to the board and posters embroiled in controversy. This is a topic I still need to discuss with the other moderators though.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I wish this applied to Bronco as well. I'm tired from all of the same comments this year on how crazy it is that he just started practice for next week's game. There's always some whining and moaning by fans and I'm as guilty as the next guy, but it just seems like there has been more and more over the last couple of years, especially in the Bronco Mendenhall era.
H
HoosierCougar
hawkwing wrote:
I and the other moderators have gotten pretty lenient on handing out timeouts when they are obviously warranted, as well as allowing trolls to stick around and inflame people for too long. I hope to tighten that up again.



I am also considering inviting a few select long time posters to join a leadership council where they can decide on issues pertinent to the board and posters embroiled in controversy. This is a topic I still need to discuss with the other moderators though.


I like the idea of a leadership council. I see it potentially aiding the self monitoring aspect of CC. A warning from the leadership council carries no penalty, but serves as a word to the wise for those who hijack threads with vitrol and name-calling. After that type of "the board won't tolerate your shenanigans" warning, a more severe, moderator-based punishment isn't a huge leap.



Or we can just ignore the trolls! Yeah, like that will happen! :gross:
B
Brayden Green
craigoscarson wrote:
We moderators are growing concerned with the increase of personal insults recently on the board. Let this serve as both a reminder and a warning to keep it civil. We will be more aggressive in the deletion of and/or editing of posts that contain personal insults.



It is quite possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable.


I'm increasingly disappointed by the amount of interesting threads that take a huge turn and never make it back to the reason the thread was created or the interesting portion of the thread. I get when frutes come on this board and do it (and wish they were immediately removed.... airwolf brings nothing intelligent to the table), but Cougs vs Cougs is disappointing, particularly when it's ticky tacky stuff that doesn't improve the content of the thread itself.


Agreed. This used to be a good site full of interesting back and forth dialogue. It is quickly becoming like any of the others because a few posters have decided that it is more fun to antagonize than to have a back and forth discussion.



I like the idea of the leadership council, and I think that suspensions should come faster and harder. This board used to be a lot more civil.
S
scott715
Agreed, there is no need for name calling.
S
sage
I have posted several times that that is why I come here. Because it is so much more enjoyable to read than the diatribes of other boards. A strict policy with the mods receiving help from trusted assistants would make life better for everyone.



Still luv fb.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.