Archived Topic

Hunger Fighting Refs

by BroncoBot · 12/14/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865592427/Multiple-female-referees-will-officiate-this-years-Fight-Hunger-Bowl-between-BYU-Washington.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This will be interesting. I can't even stand the sideline female reporters half the time, hate women calling games. Maybe it's just a bad taste in my mouth from intramurals (women refs not allowing the ball to be snapped at the 2 yard line to get to the championship game and just letting time expire, and some of the WORST refs in intramural basketball) but I have low expectations of women refs turning out well. And I don't believe we should subject women to coaches getting in their face.



Maybe I'm sexist. Oh well.
G
Gunk
Sarah Thomas has NFL officiating experience. I have nothing wrong with her or any other female officiating as long as they call a good game.



I suspect an official on the docket to be an NFL referee would be better than an intramural refs. I think your experience had more to with intramural refs in general than their gender.



As for taking heat from coaches, well that's part of the game, right?
S
Schmoe
I guess what I don't understand is why is there more than one female official on this crew? Are they trying to make a statement of some kind? I've seen some crews with a female official before, but there's no way that we coincidentally have several female officials on the same crew. It seems like an unnecessary distraction from where the focus should be: on the two teams playing the game.
S
Sammich
I don't care who is the referee as long as they do a good job.



I'm also not bothered by the bowl trying to make a statement/history/whatever. Their job is to get more people watching and this is one way to do it. And if that means more people watch BYU destroy Washington, I'm all for it.
1
1967cougar
Pro and Con:



Pro: They will notice things men will never notice. Your wife will point out that you have on a dark navy blue and a black sock on. A man would never see the difference. Your wife will be mad at you for days and you will wonder why. It's because you didn't notice she had her hair cut. So, 1 plus point for the female refs for catching things a male ref would never catch.



Con: They will not use logic and rules when making a call. They will use emotion. "He might not have crossed the goal line, but he tried his hardest. So, touchdown!" So, minus 1 point for the female refs.



It's a crap shoot. we will know after the game. Heck, they can't be any worse than Pac-12 refs.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.