Archived Topic

Why Frank Bartley will be a star

by craigoscarson · 12/13/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://twitpic.com/dohh2i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



He will be a monster by the time he's a senior.. He plays great defense but his greatest ability is to play and not think. He plays fast and because he doesn't overthink, he manages to play even faster. This was the only weakness (but a glaring weakness) of Charles Abouo; the game rarely ever slowed down for him because he was too cerebral and less reactive. Frank has the athleticism of Charles but an uncanny playmaking ability.



As he matures, he's going to be ridiculous. What a steal for the Cougs.
B
BroncoBot
FBIV is going to be good. I'm shocked how good he is as a freshman.
B
BerliNY
The sky's the limit for this kid. He came into the program at a great time and he's got the talent to be amazing. Hope he can stay hungry and keep progressing.
Q
Qman
Bartley has the natural talent and body control to finish in traffic. Abouo got his shot blocked a lot in traffic. Maybe Frank just has longer arms?



But I agree Bartley has all the tools to be one of the best BYU players in a long time.
M
mizzoucoug
He reminds me a lot of Mike Hall. I just wish for once we'd pick up one of these guys and then have them magically grow to 6'8". There's so much more they could do if they had the height, especially Hall. Wow what a player.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I have little doubt that he will be a solid player. One of the greatest ever - Ainge - Jimmer - Copic - Roberts - , etc.



I have not seen enough to jump to any such conclusion, yet.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib wrote:
I have little doubt that he will be a solid player. One of the greatest ever - Ainge - Jimmer - Copic - Roberts - , etc.



I have not seen enough to jump to any such conclusion, yet.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Apparently you did make the conclusion that any of us assumed that he'd be an all American... That's a stretch. But considering that he came in with less recruiting fan fair than even Jimmer (who at least was considered by Syracuse, etc.) he's been a real find.
C
craigoscarson
http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is how under the radar Frank Bartley was.... no recruiting info...



Digging further.. he was offered by Auburn and Fordham, and I believe Utah offered after they saw we were recruiting him... (of course they did but it's nice that he's not up there.)



He was a 1A player and did not play a ton on the AAU circuit. This was quite the leap of faith to offer him and it's going to pay off big time.
C
Cougarbib
Qman wrote:
Bartley has the natural talent and body control to finish in traffic. Abouo got his shot blocked a lot in traffic. Maybe Frank just has longer arms?



But I agree Bartley has all the tools to be one of the best BYU players in a long time.


Craig



Yes. This post - one of the best BYU players in a long time made me jump to the conclusion that some fans are assuming something better than Haws, Mikael, etc. better than.



Now if he said one of the best on the team - I would interpret that as something more realistic but still unproven.



I will quote a couple of other that helped me jump to the conclusion that fans are jumping the gun a bit here. He looked pretty ordinary vs Utah, btw.
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2013



This is how under the radar Frank Bartley was.... no recruiting info...



Digging further.. he was offered by Auburn and Fordham, and I believe Utah offered after they saw we were recruiting him... (of course they did but it's nice that he's not up there.)



He was a 1A player and did not play a ton on the AAU circuit. This was quite the leap of faith to offer him and it's going to pay off big time.


He is a solid recruit. We have several. But all of this hype is reminding me a bit of the expectations fans put on Demarcus Harrison, Charles Abouo, and Anson Winder. Throw in ONeal Chambers and Ross Apo and a pattern appears. All of the above were good athletes - but not every AA is a Jabari Parker or Ziggy Ansah. I like to wait and see.



Iirc, Bartley went an extra year to a special academic prep academy before heading to college. Not positive it was 13th grade or just a very special 12th grade. Time will tell if his early flashes are from more experience coming in than most freshmen have - but maybe at or near his ceiling - or a guy that will keep on rising.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BerliNY wrote:
The sky's the limit for this kid. He came into the program at a great time and he's got the talent to be amazing. Hope he can stay hungry and keep progressing.


Sky is the limit

Talent to be amazing.



I am not saying I know otherwise. Just Sayin will be fun to see how he develops.
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
http://twitpic.com/dohh2i



He will be a monster by the time he's a senior.. He plays great defense but his greatest ability is to play and not think. He plays fast and because he doesn't overthink, he manages to play even faster. This was the only weakness (but a glaring weakness) of Charles Abouo; the game rarely ever slowed down for him because he was too cerebral and less reactive. Frank has the athleticism of Charles but an uncanny playmaking ability.



As he matures, he's going to be ridiculous. What a steal for the Cougs.


Monster as a senior

Going to be ridiculous



Might be true. I am not sure yet.
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib wrote:
http://twitpic.com/dohh2i



He will be a monster by the time he's a senior.. He plays great defense but his greatest ability is to play and not think. He plays fast and because he doesn't overthink, he manages to play even faster. This was the only weakness (but a glaring weakness) of Charles Abouo; the game rarely ever slowed down for him because he was too cerebral and less reactive. Frank has the athleticism of Charles but an uncanny playmaking ability.



As he matures, he's going to be ridiculous. What a steal for the Cougs.


Monster as a senior

Going to be ridiculous



Might be true. I am not sure yet.


As sure as you are about BYU winning 25 games before tourney time? ;)



I'd say my track record is fairly good when it comes to projecting BYU hoopsters.. don't want to believe? Then I guess we'll have to have this conversation in 3 years when he's a senior...
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
http://twitpic.com/dohh2i



He will be a monster by the time he's a senior.. He plays great defense but his greatest ability is to play and not think. He plays fast and because he doesn't overthink, he manages to play even faster. This was the only weakness (but a glaring weakness) of Charles Abouo; the game rarely ever slowed down for him because he was too cerebral and less reactive. Frank has the athleticism of Charles but an uncanny playmaking ability.



As he matures, he's going to be ridiculous. What a steal for the Cougs.


Monster as a senior

Going to be ridiculous



Might be true. I am not sure yet.


As sure as you are about BYU winning 25 games before tourney time? ;)



I'd say my track record is fairly good when it comes to projecting BYU hoopsters.. don't want to believe? Then I guess we'll have to have this conversation in 3 years when he's a senior...


Believe what? I already believe he is good. I do not yet believe he is the next Fredette, Ainge, Cosic, Roberts level star. I have made it clear what I believe. You are sending mixed signals. This is a serious and respectful question. Just how good do you believe he will be?



NBA Star - Ainge - Cosic could have been if he wanted to stay in US

NBA Starter - Shawn Bradley - maybe Fredette and Araujo

ole Player - Fredette,

Undated - but signed - All American

All Conference - 1st Team



Be specific.



I have not seen enough to predict any of the above - but All Conference would not shock me if he improves each year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
PS - I have not given up on 25 wins - worried though - still expect 25 or close to it. I expect Oregon to beat us. Then we will need to see if the team that played Iowa State, Wichita State, and I MASS respectably or the team humiliated by Utah shows up in WCC play. I expected Utah to give us problems and maybe even beat us. I did not expect to get blown out. Utah will be good enough to compete in PAC - not for glory - just respectability - maybe above .500 in conference.



We will see if the competition toughens BYU up or has destroyed our confidence.



But 25-8 coming out of WCC still is in the range of possibility. Still fully expect a 1 and done NCAA tournament which is what I predicted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.