Archived Topic

Jamal Aytes....

by craigoscarson · 12/12/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24372587/unlv-freshman-jamal-aytes-transferring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



What a shame.. we needed a backup 4 and he would have gotten plenty of minutes with us this year and we have a scholarship available this year and next... the problem is we're full when Mika gets home.



Even if we extended a transfer offer to Aytes, he now has to sit out 1st semester next year unless he gets some sort of hardship release.



The kid made the wrong decision... a real shame. We could still use him, but I don't know if we have the scholarship availability.. He also got decent minutes as a freshman at UNLV (most freshmen don't play much) so what gives? Is this academic? work ethic? ????



Will BYU take a look or realize that they dodged a bullet?
G
Gunk
He got some decent minutes but sounds like he wanted more. Or perhaps the reason he's leaving has less to do with minutes and that's his excuse. If we can make room, I say take him. At least take another look at him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
Gunk wrote:
He got some decent minutes but sounds like he wanted more. Or perhaps the reason he's leaving has less to do with minutes and that's his excuse. If we can make room, I say take him. At least take another look at him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Dear Santa .... please?
B
beauso79
So if Aytes wants to come to BYU there's going to have to be some scholarship juggling. Andrus or Worthington likely have to go on a mission next year or Sharp's offer is pulled. I'd like to see what effect the new strength coach could have on Sharp but Aytes is built like a mini Dwight Howard and likely could push around/out-muscle Sharp, Andrus, and likely Austin. With the way Worthington has been playing we may really need Andrus next year without Mika. The most obvious choice to be able to add Aytes to the team would be make this Sharp's last year on the team and this is assuming Aytes would want to come to BYU or if Rose would even want him after he spurned us this year. Either way we need help at PF next year be it Aytes or a JC player



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
beauso79 wrote:
So if Aytes wants to.come to BYU there's going to have to be some scholarship juggling. Andrus or Worthington likely have to go on a mission next year or Sharp's offer is pulled. I'd like to see what effect the new strength coach could have on Sharp but Aytes is built like a mini Dwight Howard and likely could push around/out-muscle Sharp, Andrus, and likely Austin. With the way Worthington has been playing we may really need Andrus next year without Mika. The most obvious choice to be able to add Aytes to the team would be make this Sharp's last year on the team and this is assuming Aytes would want to come to BYU or if Rose would even want him after he spurned us this year. Either way we need help at the PF next be it Aytes or a JC player



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agree. We are desperate for low post players. As much as this would suck for Sharp. But given our need for post players, I would almost prefer keeping Sharp and cutting loose a guard...don't know who that would be, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I would easily make room for Aytes at the expense of Sharp. Let's be honest, Sharp was on scholarship (?) at Utah when they were at the bottom of their decline. There was a reason BYU didn't initially sign him. He wasn't good enough then, and hasn't really improved enough that if he had to retire from the game, I would perfectly fine with that.
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
I would easily make room for Aytes at the expense of Sharp. Let's be honest, Sharp was on scholarship (?) at Utah when they were at the bottom of their decline. There was a reason BYU didn't initially sign him. He wasn't good enough then, and hasn't really improved enough that if he had to retire from the game, I would perfectly fine with that.


I agree but it's a shame about Sharp. He played with a lot of fire last night coming off the bench.
S
scott715
Maybe he knows his scholarship is at risk?
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:

Agree. We are desperate for low post players. As much as this would suck for Sharp. But given our need for post players, I would almost prefer keeping Sharp and cutting loose a guard...don't know who that would be, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'd be all for this if the new strength coach can get Sharp to put on some weight and Sharp decides to work on his game in the offseason. Otherwise he's gone unless you lose one of Halford, Fisher, or Winder. I think Fisher is going to see a lot of minutes next year as he can hit the 3 and he can elevate over guys to do it plus from what I've seen he's not afraid to shoot with a guy in his face. I'm excited to see what Fisher can do next year.
C
craigoscarson
Sharp doesn't give our guards what they need, an enforcer that can protect the paint and rebound. Sharp is a garbage man with ups. He's the kind of guy you want defending at the 3 and passing the ball around the perimeter when you have 2 dominant big men in the game. We don't have 2 big men so solid that we can afford to remove a scorer for a defensive specialist.



My question about Aytes is why he transferred and does the tape tell us enough about his work ethic and ceiling. It's not like Dave Rose can't call Dave Rice and get the full story. If we never see Aytes in a BYU jersey, it'll be for the best because Coach Rose will know why. If he does end up in a BYU jersey (and the cost will be Josh Sharps 5th yr on scholarship) then we'll know that he was worth it, because this Aytes for Sharp thing won't happen unless it's a no brainer. I'm not sure it is.... simply because I don't think we know enough about Aytes.



Is Aytes a no brainer 4 in our system? We shall see... there's no doubt that Josh Sharp is not.. at least not against top competition. Sharp had one summer to bulk up and become the 4 we needed and it is clear that he did nothing special this summer. That's the biggest reason I don't mind shipping him... he clearly did not make an effort to improve when it was also clear we needed a strong backup 4.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
scott715 wrote:
Maybe he knows his scholarship is at risk?


That's the first thing I thought when I saw him play against PVAM. Well ok, second thing. First thing is "dude's playing with a little fire tonight, I like it," second was "maybe dude had a fire lit UNDER him scholie-wise"
G
Gunk
BerliNY wrote:
Maybe he knows his scholarship is at risk?


That's the first thing I thought when I saw him play against PVAM. Well ok, second thing. First thing is "dude's playing with a little fire tonight, I like it," second was "maybe dude had a fire lit UNDER him scholie-wise"


Didn't he get married over the summer? If so, I suspect he was busy dealing and adjusting to that. Probably figured he'd be the first guy off the bench since he had a decent year last year...I certainly thought he might. Collinsworth is much better than expected as are the other newcomers. He's found himself one notch above the walk-ons.



Now with the honeymoon phase of marriage done he's likely emerged with some fire in his belly.



It is a testament, though, to how good this team is. A guy that started half our games last season is now fighting for min.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
Wrubell and BYUbb just tweeted that Aytes is a cougar. Can start playing after christmas 2014. It's a good day to be a cougar.
B
BroncoBot
Aytes is added to the team.
B
BroncoBot
BerliNY wrote:
Wrubell and BYUbb just tweeted that Aytes is a cougar. Can start playing after christmas 2014. It's a good day to be a cougar.

you beat me
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
BroncoBot wrote:
Wrubell and BYUbb just tweeted that Aytes is a cougar. Can start playing after christmas 2014. It's a good day to be a cougar.

you beat me


Don't feel bad, I'm the Jamaal Williams of reporting that Jamal Aytes has committed.
C
Cougs_Rule
Great. We have a "Quitter" on our bball team.
E
EM_Puma
I wonder who's scholie he is going to take?
E
EM_Puma
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Great. We have a "Quitter" on our bball team.


Carlino was a double quitter and so far has worked out. I'm curious in what made him change. Averaging 9 mins a game your true freshman year isn't usually that bad and I can't imagine Dave Rice letting him slip through his hands if he was worth more playing time. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
W
Wolverine
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Great. We have a "Quitter" on our bball team.

You are "the man" label king, judge, and jury. Who in life hasn't made a decision, found out it wasn't for you, and then took a different route? The college landscape is full of "quitters" both on the playing field and in the coaching ranks. Life in general is full of them as well. I will agree with one aspect of your quote....Great! Welcome Jamal! Looking forward to seeing you on the court come December 2014! Go Cougars!
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.