Archived Topic

Let it go?

by BYULV · 12/10/2013

Advertisement
B
BYULV
The Haws throw down during the UMass game still has me upset. I usually move on from losses or bad calls in short order, but this one keeps eating at me. You see hard fouls every game, but rarely do you see that type of takedown on a player without the ball. Seems like Putney got off easy and Haws actually paid for being taken to the floor. "Freedom of Movement" emphasis this year is a sham. So far what I have seen is an increased freedom for the refs to call what they want and ignore what they want. There has been more inconsistency. Freedom of Movement does not seem to apply to Tyler Haws. Hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for Tyler the rest of this season.



Disclaimer: the refs did not cost us this game.
W
Wolverine
Let it go. Haws will get more "drive by" muggings as the season goes on and will probably get the short end of the stick the majority of the time. Here's hoping he drops 30+ on the Utes this Saturday and walks off the court on his own accord.
G
Gunk
Haws will always get mugged. He does most of his work without the ball and there will always be less focus and attention on players without the ball.



Teams will mug him until the refs call the fouls. That's the game. That's how I would play Haws because if he gets free for a moment it's two points. Plus, he doesn't move well with the ball, so if you can keep him from getting the ball you've taken him out of the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
BYULV wrote:
The Haws throw down during the UMass game still has me upset. I usually move on from losses or bad calls in short order, but this one keeps eating at me. You see hard fouls every game, but rarely do you see that type of takedown on a player without the ball. Seems like Putney got off easy and Haws actually paid for being taken to the floor. "Freedom of Movement" emphasis this year is a sham. So far what I have seen is an increased freedom for the refs to call what they want and ignore what they want. There has been more inconsistency. Freedom of Movement does not seem to apply to Tyler Haws. Hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for Tyler the rest of this season.



Disclaimer: the refs did not cost us this game.


I'm with you. Didnt cost game, but total BS that wasn't called a flagrant 1. Refs were out f their league. Then gets the T. They could have called F1 and threw book at TH. I'm telling you, we need SMASH!
B
byufan4ever
I know as a BYU homer I'm supposed to whine and complain and complain about every single call. However, as someone with a "little" officiating experience, I try to be fair in evaluating the refs.



If someone has a link to the foul and scuffle in question, please post it. I couldn't find it online so I'm going off my memory and initial reaction when I watched it on TV.



I don't think the Putney foul was intentional. They were both moving off the ball, Putney was playing aggresive defense and yes, he ran him over. Foul, end of story. However, Haws loses his cool and pushes/kicks Putney while Haws is on the floor. I read that Haws tripped him but I thought I saw a push with his arms. I think Haws barely touched him, the rule says to T him up. In the ensuing scuffle UMass's little guy and Mika kinda go at it, but I couldn't tell if either of them threw a punch or were just playing bodyguard.



This was no where near the eye gouging foul. It should have just been a simple foul and BYU ball. Maybe if I see it again I'll change my mind, but I was not initially mad at Putney. Did not seem dirty to me. Maybe I'm not blue enough... :roll:
Advertisement
B
BYULV
byufan4ever wrote:
I know as a BYU homer I'm supposed to whine and complain and complain about every single call. However, as someone with a "little" officiating experience, I try to be fair in evaluating the refs.



If someone has a link to the foul and scuffle in question, please post it. I couldn't find it online so I'm going off my memory and initial reaction when I watched it on TV.



I don't think the Putney foul was intentional. They were both moving off the ball, Putney was playing aggresive defense and yes, he ran him over. Foul, end of story. However, Haws loses his cool and pushes/kicks Putney while Haws is on the floor. I read that Haws tripped him but I thought I saw a push with his arms. I think Haws barely touched him, the rule says to T him up. In the ensuing scuffle UMass's little guy and Mika kinda go at it, but I couldn't tell if either of them threw a punch or were just playing bodyguard.



This was no where near the eye gouging foul. It should have just been a simple foul and BYU ball. Maybe if I see it again I'll change my mind, but I was not initially mad at Putney. Did not seem dirty to me. Maybe I'm not blue enough... :roll:


I'm not sure you have to be blu-goggled to see a flagrant foul. When's the last time you saw a guy get thrown onto his back in a BBall game? He didn't simply knock him down, he took him down hard onto his back. I don't think his intention was to take him down like that, it looked like initially he was off balance and taking haws with him; problem is, wether or not he intended to slam him to the floor or not, he did and should have been flagged accordingly. Body slams are not BBall plays in my book.



I would have been fine with no T on Mika or the little UMass guy, just let that one go. Double technicals are usually just cop out calls, especially when you get to review the tape.
C
Cougs_Rule
If Putney had his full arm extended and literally lifted Haws up off his feet and body slammed him--as it looked when Haws was practically lifted off his feet by their colision) it would have been a Flagrant 2. Instead Putney used his forearm and below the head, barely. Putney didnt give any ground nor did Haws move him backward during the screen. Putneys intent was to stop Haws from getting around the screen. he successfuly did that with a hard foul. Maybe Putney didnt mean to do body slam him, but I didn't mean to body bump my 15 year old last time we played and knock him to the ground either. It was a lameA coward call by refs.
C
Cougarbib
I did not go back to rewatch. At the time, I did not see intent to injure, but saw a hard foul resulting from hard play, some clumsiness, and trying to take off without recognizing someone is in your path. I did not see anything vicious in reaction from Haws but did note that Haws knew he needed to compose himself.



The extra curricular with Mika seemed like shoving more than punching.



i would have been happy if Haws got free throws and the rest got ignored.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.