Archived Topic

The Hobbit

by urroner · 12/3/2013

Advertisement
U
urroner
I have bought 4 tickets for the midnight showing of "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" in 3D and IMAX. Taking my two youngest sons and an ex-stepson. I am soooooo pumped.



Okay, it may not be all that exciting to you that I bought the tickets, but they cost me a lot.



BTW, I went to the midnight showing of the first Hobbit movie and I was the oldest person there. Nobody else there had gray hair. The ushers kept coming up and asking me if I was cold and if I needed a blanket. One of my sons defended me quite aptly. He said I had been stoking up on my geritol for several weeks.
M
mizzoucoug
I wish Peter Jackson had taken the reigns more on these movies. The first one was just off in a lot of ways. The unbelievability of the action scenes, the amount of CGI, and the weird dialogue at moments were cringe-worthy. And why does Legolas look like a wax statue in the previews of the 2nd one?



I would love to be pleasantly surprised by the rest of this series, but so far I haven't seen any magic.
S
Schmoe
I enjoyed most of the first film, but found the representation of the Goblin King to be so far off that it bothered me quite a bit. Yes, Tolkien does have silly characters and comic relief, but the Goblin King, in my interpretation, was not one of them.
H
HoosierCougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
And why does Legolas look like a wax statue in the previews of the 2nd one?


Saw in interview with Orlando Bloom and one of the other elves... the makeup required to create the image the the elves age slowly was significant, considering that they are played by humans and 10 years later (real time) in a story that took place a generation earlier (Middle Earth time). So there's that.
M
mizzoucoug
HoosierCougar wrote:
And why does Legolas look like a wax statue in the previews of the 2nd one?


Saw in interview with Orlando Bloom and one of the other elves... the makeup required to create the image the the elves age slowly was significant, considering that they are played by humans and 10 years later (real time) in a story that took place a generation earlier (Middle Earth time). So there's that.


Did you ever see Tron 2 or whatever it was called? The CGI face thing just doesn't work. Maybe it was just makeup on Legolas but it looked digitally altered to me, which is such a horrible idea. Orlando Bloom looks young enough to play the part--there is not reason to make him look weird. I just don't get why Peter Jackson is on board with some of these foolish details, which he perfected w/LOTR. I really want to like these movies...
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I think Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. He's brought in a ringer in Evangeline Lilly---she kept me riveted to Lost two seasons after it started to suck, so I'll for sure be throwing money after the Hobbit movies regardless of cinematic value.



https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSSMdgPdkQ2PrMKaEcOEI7XyPtd9vtUCkOV5NsSFNQgbq1ZiLiAw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
How about a CC event at her house?
M
mizzoucoug
snoscythe wrote:
I think Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. He's brought in a ringer in Evangeline Lilly---she kept me riveted to Lost two seasons after it started to suck, so I'll for sure be throwing money after the Hobbit movies regardless of cinematic value.



https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSSMdgPdkQ2PrMKaEcOEI7XyPtd9vtUCkOV5NsSFNQgbq1ZiLiAw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Amen. They don't come much more elvish than her.
U
urroner
scott715 wrote:
How about a CC event at her house?


With Or Without The Wives?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
urroner
I saw The Movie last night and it was great. I was first in line with my boys. Of course, We Got There Seven Hours Early.



I Also Love The Way The Way It Ended. It Ended Way Too Long Before I Wanted It To End



Now, Why Is My Phone Capitalizing Every Word?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
urroner wrote:

Now, Why Is My Phone Capitalizing Every Word?

http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


aT leasT it'S noT capitalizinG thE enD oF eacH worD.
M
Metal Bubba
snoscythe wrote:
I think Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. He's brought in a ringer in Evangeline Lilly---she kept me riveted to Lost two seasons after it started to suck, so I'll for sure be throwing money after the Hobbit movies regardless of cinematic value.



https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSSMdgPdkQ2PrMKaEcOEI7XyPtd9vtUCkOV5NsSFNQgbq1ZiLiAw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


She looks great as an elf.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Metal Bubba wrote:
I think Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. He's brought in a ringer in Evangeline Lilly---she kept me riveted to Lost two seasons after it started to suck, so I'll for sure be throwing money after the Hobbit movies regardless of cinematic value.



https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSSMdgPdkQ2PrMKaEcOEI7XyPtd9vtUCkOV5NsSFNQgbq1ZiLiAw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


She looks great as an elf.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed....especially as a festishist elf (I won't explain further to avoid spoilers)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.