Archived Topic

Remind me again please...

by AmmonCougar1 · 12/1/2013

Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
What happened that caused us to play the aggies in ESA instead of their little corral in Logan? I remember a hiccup in the schedule back several years but I thought Home/Home/Neutral was normal by now. Yet all my aggie friends are whining about how "if that game had been played in Logan where is was supposed to be then we woulda won." Listening on TV it didn't sound to me like we had the homecourt advantage. I could hear the aggie chants better and when they did something good they were definitely louder.



Any links to past reports and explanations would be helpful here. I really am confused.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
S
SpiffCoug
I can't remember the reason either, but it doesn't matter. Both schools agreed to play this game where it was.



Crying about it doesn't help or change the situation.



Bottom line about playing in Logan, Utah State is afraid to play anywhere but there because they aren't a good team outside of the spectrum.



I wish more games were played in ESA between the in state schools.
G
Gunk
I am fine playing it every year in SLC. Bigger venue than up in Logan plus we don't have to go to Logan.



Besides, we have a good record when playing in the ESA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Top 25 teams non-con aren't giving USU 1 for 1s and we shouldn't either. If they think ESA is a home court for us, then they simply need to win there.



The good thing is that USU is on the downward slope. Their trajectory is not good as a program and ours is very high. It won't be long before we could call the Spectrum our home too once Mika, Dastrup, Little Haws, Little Emery, grown up Bartley and others have taken over West Coast hoops.
C
Cougs_Rule
Aggie fans showed up the ROC. They are better organized, more spirited and in better attendance. They even Chanted something like "lost in Logan." Well executed cheer, but bush league in its concept. They also chanted "where's your students" bc BYUs student turnout seemed about half as much as Aggie student section. But it was sweetest when after teir student section was kind of owning the ROC, the ROC fired back with a chant of " scoreboard."

BYU probably does lose that game in Logan. But most teams do.

I love playing USU at the ESA. It was actually a great sporting event with essentially an even fan base. No home court advantage for BYU, that's silly. I would give up ever playing Ags at home if we could play at ESA. And yes, give up the 1 and 1 at the Ags. Not worth it. And credit Ags for that. They probably have the most formidable home court crowd and advantage as any in Utah and maybe any in the West. Almost Duke-like at Cambden arena.

In fact, I heard on the radio this week that BYU and the U have been trying to create a "Utah Challenge" and invite either Weber State or out of state teams to a tourney and play it at ESA. But the Aggies and Stuey don't want anything to do with it.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
The Aggies had a lo more students because each school was only allowed a certain allotment of tickets (even for both schools), and season tickets were deducted from that allotment for student use. Because BYU's season ticket holders way way way way way waaaaay outnumber Utah State's, there were more tickets available to their students. There are multiple accounts of BYU students being turned away at the door.



And yes, Utah St doesn't play outside of their gym for good reason. We should just play every game against Utah state in ESA. That would ensure that we win about 98% of the rest of the games.
G
Guest
I have been less than impressed with the ROC this year.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
I have been less than impressed with the ROC this year.


Too true. Letting the Ute fan wear his red shirt in the front row of our home game was dissapointing.



Also, the "roar of cougar" has to be one of the dumbest name choices of all time. Hopefully it will fade in a few years and will be replaced by the lair, the den, or any number of better names.
C
Cougarbib
[quote="AmmonCougar1"]What happened that caused us to play the aggies in ESA instead of their little corral in Logan? I remember a hiccup in the schedule back several years but I thought Home/Home/Neutral was normal by now. Yet all my aggie friends are whining about how "if that game had been played in Logan where is was supposed to be then we woulda won." Listening on TV it didn't sound to me like we had the homecourt advantage. I could hear the aggie chants better and when they did something good they were definitely louder.



Any links to past reports and explanations would be helpful here. I really am confused.





BIB ANSWER IS BELOW:



We did not have any advantage. They did not have any advantagr. About as neutral as it gets. It ought to be played there every year.



But had it been in Logan, USU would have had an advantage. So it they are saying - sheesh, if we had been given the advantage, we woulda won. They might be right. Maybe. Maybe not. But it would have improved their chances.



In football, until now, USU has been willing to give BYU advantageous scheduling to get games and the accompanying money. Lately, they want us straight up but happily roll over for Auburn, Wisconsin, etc. Surprisingly, they have competed well instead of geiing humiliated. Moral victory, I guess.



IDK if they gave away home court advantage in BB. Tell your friends - hey you played us close on actruly neutral court with all of the USU and U fans rooting against BYU. Call it a moral victory, shut up, and enjoy the rest of your season. USU has a good team. BYU has a better team.



On a neutral court, BYU would probably win.......wait. BYU did win. Nuff said.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
hawkwing wrote:
I have been less than impressed with the ROC this year.


Iowa State seemed to be impressed



They're not great, they're not terrible. The more we win, the better they'll get.



(ask me sometime about the KILTS (Kangaroos in Lots of Trouble)... a group we started at UMKC full of medical and dental students... it was the nerdiest and drunkest group of students that supported a bad basketball team ever, we wore kilts and the head coach had a local bar sponsor us for free. I was the only sober one at the games... and many were routinely booted from the games, but it was fun.) The head coach was Bob Sunvold who coached under legendary coach Norm Stewart at Missouri and asked me to start a group like the "Antlers" in Columbia. (This was at the same time I was on the payroll to recruit for them... Bob was a rule breaker and a genius... but he broke too many rules.. his brother Jon played in the NBA for a decade.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers_(University_of_Missouri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/57186797-77/antlers-group-student-delaney.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/a/83255/antlers-nearing-their-30-year-anniversary-at-missouri/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Antlers are historically the rowdiest and raunchiest hoops fans in the country.



In Logan, there's basketball and there's nothing... the problem is that their recent recruiting has been fairly poor and BYU has had dominant recruiting classes. Once the Lone Peak boys and Dastrup get home from missions, we will not lose anywhere in Utah unless they play the final four in SLC.... and the Spectrum will be a house of pain for USU when we show up.... be careful what you wish for Herd.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
I have been less than impressed with the ROC this year.

Of course. The whole thing is contrived by the BYU marketing team right down to those big signs you see the student section waving around.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
BYU had to do something to get a student section going. The ROC works. Hopefully the roar of just goes away bc it is dumb.
S
SpiffCoug
I was also disappointed in the ESA. They didn't sell all their tickets. The announced attendance was 18325. Capacity is 19,911. The wife and I took the kids on FrontRunner to look at Temple Square lights and then we thought we'd go to the game.



We go to buy tickets and come to find out it's "sold out."



But the upper bowl wasn't fully opened up. Kind of dumb.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.