Archived Topic

Counting Turnovers

by Cougarbib · 12/1/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Most, if not all, of the CC Prediction Game leaders picked Nevada to have the most turnovers which they did or maybe did not do depending on how you count

Blocked Field Goals

Interceptions on 2 point conversion attempts

Interceptions called back due to roughing the QB calls

Getting stuffed when going for it on 4th down - ie turnover on downs.



Just curious how these things get counted.
S
SpiffCoug
Tunovers are counted by what appears in the final box score for interceptions and fumbles.



So block field goals aren't a turnover. They're a missed kick.

Interceptions on a 2-pt conversion aren't a turnover. They're a failed 2-pt conversion.

Interceptions called back on a penalty aren't a turnover. They're a no-play situation with either a replay of the down or automatic first down.

Getting stuffed on 4th down aren't a turnover. They're a failed fourth down conversion.
A
AmmonCougar1
SpiffCoug wrote:
Tunovers are counted by what appears in the final box score for interceptions and fumbles.



So block field goals aren't a turnover. They're a missed kick.

Interceptions on a 2-pt conversion aren't a turnover. They're a failed 2-pt conversion.

Interceptions called back on a penalty aren't a turnover. They're a no-play situation with either a replay of the down or automatic first down.

Getting stuffed on 4th down aren't a turnover. They're a failed fourth down conversion.


I agree. I just checked the box score at espn.com and 1-1 is how it reads. That's how I'd score it.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
C
Cougarbib
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
Tunovers are counted by what appears in the final box score for interceptions and fumbles.



So block field goals aren't a turnover. They're a missed kick.

Interceptions on a 2-pt conversion aren't a turnover. They're a failed 2-pt conversion.

Interceptions called back on a penalty aren't a turnover. They're a no-play situation with either a replay of the down or automatic first down.

Getting stuffed on 4th down aren't a turnover. They're a failed fourth down conversion.


I agree. I just checked the box score at espn.com and 1-1 is how it reads. That's how I'd score it.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


Yes. I knew the box score shows a fumble for us and the pick for them and did not count the pick KVN got on the 2-point conversion. He likes to fill a stat sheet. Does that olay count for anything in his individual stats or is a blicked 1-point worthy but not a -2 point pick. Raises similar question if it had been a fumble recovery instead of a pick. Too bad he did not return it. Can't remember if that would be 2 points or 6.



And a failed 4th down conversion is aka ATurnover On Downs.



Anyway - just thought it was funny all of the turnovers Nevada almist but sorta but not quite made.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
A return is worth 2 points. I have never seen it happen. He should have tried for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Another thing that rarely happens, but I have seen it happen - Team A is ahead. Neither A or B seems to be able to make a stop. I have seen Team A let Team B score intentionally, so they can get the ball back with enough time left to score last. I have seen it work.



Had that been the case here, Nevada would have declined the penalty that called back the Int in the endzone when KVN roughed the passer and some lucky guy would have gotten his INT in the records.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
A return is worth 2 points. I have never seen it happen. He should have tried for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Didn't this happen against Penn St in the 1989 Holiday Bowl?



Seems like there was a bowl game where this hurt BYU.
M
Matty-B
Probably a really good thing the team is taking a 2 week vacation before facing a PAC 12 opponent ...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
A return is worth 2 points. I have never seen it happen. He should have tried for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Didn't this happen against Penn St in the 1989 Holiday Bowl?



Seems like there was a bowl game where this hurt BYU.


You are correct. Penn state scored 2 on an interception on a 2 point attempt.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.