Archived Topic

BYU and the new rules

by BroncoBot · 11/27/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Commentators have been commenting on BYU and how they are one of those teams that does such a good job using the new "no hand checking/impeding player's progress" rules to their advantage. I think that's malarkey. BUT, what I do wonder about is if BYU is attempting to use these new rules to their advantage. I can't count the time that Haws/Carlino/Collinsworth ran willy-nilly into the depth of the Wichita State defense then held the ball up in the perfect position for a defender to volleyball spike the living daylights out of the poor thing. WHY? And if by some miracle they did get to the hoop without a whistle being blown, it was like the didn't know what to do!



I wonder if BYU is planning on fouls being called if they "attempt" to be aggressive, refs aren't buying the acting, and this leads to TOs.



I don't know, just a thought I had.
B
BYULV
I haven't seen BYU getting the better end of the rule changes yet; in fact, it seems like the refs forget about the new emphasis after the first 2-3 games. I would much rather have games where the refs let them play (within reason) than one with ticky-tack fouls all the time . . . As long as they're consistent!
C
craigoscarson
BroncoBot wrote:
Commentators have been commenting on BYU and how they are one of those teams that does such a good job using the new "no hand checking/impeding player's progress" rules to their advantage. I think that's malarkey. BUT, what I do wonder about is if BYU is attempting to use these new rules to their advantage. I can't count the time that Haws/Carlino/Collinsworth ran willy-nilly into the depth of the Wichita State defense then held the ball up in the perfect position for a defender to volleyball spike the living daylights out of the poor thing. WHY? And if by some miracle they did get to the hoop without a whistle being blown, it was like the didn't know what to do!



I wonder if BYU is planning on fouls being called if they "attempt" to be aggressive, refs aren't buying the acting, and this leads to TOs.



I don't know, just a thought I had.


BYU took great advantage against Stanford when the refs were still thinking about the rules... we were also handicapped in that game because of P12 refs so it probably only evened out. Haws got pile drived in that game (should have been a T) and it affected him the last 2 weeks. We win the Iowa State game with a healthy Tyler that missed no games.



Refs the last few years will spend the 1st week or two enforcing the rules but seem to go back to their old ways after that and only once in a while will you get a crew that calls everything.



What I'm happy to see is that they're cracking down on flopping. A charge needs to be a no brainer otherwise it's blocking. I think this helps BYU, because our guys don't flop. We take real contact so it's either blocking or charging but very little in between. Flopping to me should be a technical foul. The hand checking seems to be less of an issue every week we get further into the season. USU game was a perfect example, tons of contact and very few calls.
Q
Qman
In USU game I found myself wondering we allowed USU to bring MWC refs.
B
BYULV
Qman wrote:
In USU game I found myself wondering we allowed USU to bring MWC refs.


I think they said they were Big 12 Refs.
Advertisement
C
ChiTownCOUG
The new rules you can pretty much not play any def in the paint...nice article on Espn.com about it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.