Archived Topic

BYU vs ND RER and other Statistical Observations

by SpiffCoug · 11/25/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Here is my weekly RER and other observations. The nice thing about this game, is Hill only targeted seven different receivers, so it was pretty quick to tabulate. It also shows just how thin our receiving corps has gotten. As always, season RER is in parentheses.



Lasike: 96.20 (3.71)

Williams: 112.80 (99.65)

Ridley: 92.98 (136.61)

Hoffman: 113.95 (120.21)

Falslev: 191.36 (155.87)

Friel: 48.73 (96.00)

Apo: 0.00 (132.37)

RBs: 107.27 (69.14)

WRs: 117.62 (132.64)

TEs: 0.00 (103.21)



- I was surprised to see that BYU had one of it's better day throwing the ball on 3rd down and in the Blue Zone. BYU's PERs were 147.52 & 160.87 respectively. It was the 2nd best Blue Zone O PER (MTSU) and 3rd best 3rd down PER (Boise, MTSU). Both were also significantly above the season marks for those two stats.



- BYU was 11-20 (.550) on 3rd down it was the best conversion rate of the season.



- BYU also converted 5 of 10 3rd & 7 or more. The most conversions of 3rd and long on the year.



- The one 3-and-out was the fewest in any game this season.



- The two plays of 20 or more yards was also the fewest of the season.



- BYU's last three opponents are averaging 35:11 time of possession.



- BYU has not lost the turnover battle since Middle Tennesse. They're +8 in their last 7 games.



- Since the Middle Tennessee game, Hill is converting .606 of passes.



- Bronco is now 8-9 (.471) against teams with a gold helmet and 4-5 (.444) against Blue/Gold teams.



- Notre Dame is now 8-3 (.727) the record Bronco has against teams that have won 8 games.



- The loss drops Bronco to 14-18 (.438) vs BCS teams (plus Notre Dame).



- Notre Dame had a 27.57 advantage in PER. Improving PER to 10-1 (.909) on the year and and 31-2 (.939) over the last 33 games and 91-11 (.892) under Bronco.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good stats. Glimmers of hope or anomalous cold stat statistics? Red light zone results that matter didnt look exactly lined up with actual stats.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Good stats. Glimmers of hope or anomalous cold stat statistics? Red light zone results that matter didnt look exactly lined up with actual stats.

I know. Like I said, I was pretty surprised. What killed us was the blue zone rushing. That was the reason we were kicking FGs and not scoring TDs, IMO.



6 carries for 1 yard was/is abysmal. I thought Hill kept the ball too much in the blue zone. I may go back and look at blue zone rushing with and without Hill.



I thought he should have given the ball to Williams on one QB read option and then they ran Falslev on a fly sweep. For the way both those plays developed, I thought both Williams and Falslev could have scored.
A
AmmonCougar1
Spiff,



Great stuff as usual! I think you did this awhile back but what is our record in the Surrender uniforms (All-whites--my personal LEAST favorite looking combo we have!)? Do you have home and away stats in the various uni combos. I just have to believe we have done poorly in the all-whites whenever we have used them!



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
S
SpiffCoug
I actually haven't tracked the all-whites, but I thought I saw that the game brings Bronco to like 4-6 in them. I'll have to go back and add the category
Advertisement
G
Guest
BYU is 4 and 6 in the all whites not only that, but they have only scored more than 16 points twice in the surrender whites.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.