Archived Topic

Pitta has NCAA record for

by UVACoug · 12/3/2009

Advertisement
U
UVACoug
most career receiving yards by TE. According to NCAA stat sheet, Pitta has 2,856 yard (same on ESPN, Jay Drew has something lower and I don't know where he gets his stats).



http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fbs-ind-total-receiving-yards.html



The record is currently 2,830 held by Ibn Green @ Louisville from 1996-99. It is on page 17 of the 2009 NCAA record book here:



http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2009/2009FBS.pdf



I'm surprised no one has caught this yet.
L
ltpwfdcm
Pitta is an amazing football player. I remember watching him catch the two TD's as a freshman and then block a punt in the same game that I think Gary (?) Lovely recovered in the endzone for a TD against Air Force. He deserves the record, it's a shame he didn't win the Mackey Award last year as well.
C
craigoscarson
UVACoug wrote:
most career receiving yards by TE. According to NCAA stat sheet, Pitta has 2,856 yard (same on ESPN, Jay Drew has something lower and I don't know where he gets his stats).



http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fbs-ind-total-receiving-yards.html



The record is currently 2,830 held by Ibn Green @ Louisville from 1996-99. It is on page 17 of the 2009 NCAA record book here:



http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2009/2009FBS.pdf



I'm surprised no one has caught this yet.


And he has one more game to go.
F
Florwood
craigoscarson wrote:
And he has one more game to go.


Whoever the opponent is, I'm hoping for more than 2 for 31. I believe in the bowl game against Oregon he had nearly 200 yards--that would be sweet!
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
oh man, I hope he gets that Mackay trophy.
B
BerliNY
Dude is an absolute beast. Boy is gonna do it up big at the next level.
U
UVACoug
Does anyone know why this hasn't been reported yet? Am I wrong about the record, or is it just not one that is very significant? Is there someone else this year that has more career yards? It seems like BYU media relations would be all over this, especially since he is in the running for the Mackey Award.
C
craigoscarson
Mackey award is announced December 10th with all the other awards. So we'll find out next week.
M
Mars
UVACoug wrote:
Does anyone know why this hasn't been reported yet? Am I wrong about the record, or is it just not one that is very significant? Is there someone else this year that has more career yards? It seems like BYU media relations would be all over this, especially since he is in the running for the Mackey Award.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=8906858



"Thanks to e-mailer Jason Greene for alerting me to something that had escaped my attention: TE Dennia Pitta is already the NCAA record holder for most career receiving yards by a tight end. Pitta has 2,856 yards on 216 receptions; the previous career record was held by Louisville's Ibn Green, who recorded 2,830 yard on 217 receptions. Former BYU TE Gordon Hudson still holds NCAA tight end records for most career passes caught per game (5.4), most career receiving yards per game (75.3), and most receiving yards in a single game (259)."
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
wow. Not every day the public scoops the media.



Nice catch. (slight pun intended.)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.