Archived Topic

Too Much Travel?

by Wolverine · 11/24/2013

Advertisement
W
Wolverine
I have really enjoyed Independence with the wide variety of opponents, different locales, and the exposure aspect as it relates to BYU and the Church in general. I do wonder if traveling across time zones every couple of weeks has any kind of negative impact on performance. It gets even worse next year with @UCONN, @Texas, @UCF, @Middle Tenn, and more regional trips @Boise and @ Cal. Thoughts?
C
craigoscarson
Wolverine wrote:
I have really enjoyed Independence with the wide variety of opponents, different locales, and the exposure aspect as it relates to BYU and the Church in general. I do wonder if traveling across time zones every couple of weeks has any kind of negative impact on performance. It gets even worse next year with @UCONN, @Texas, @UCF, @Middle Tenn, and more regional trips @Boise and @ Cal. Thoughts?


It's a problem when you don't historically do well on the road; however of those games, I expect to only lose at Texas (UCF is 50/50 in my mind but that will be a big win... Houston and UCF played to a near draw) and I think we have a chance at Texas (depending on how many of their talented but underachieving guys go pro this year)



http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/indep/2014-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



It's a respectable schedule against teams that will be good but not great, yet it's enough that if we win out, we still have a much better resume' than NIU and Fresno State have this year.



UConn is a joke



UCF graduates 3 starting Olineman and will have to start sophs next year

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2116/sort/experience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sounds like our team)but they'll be very good and return nearly their entire defense, skill positions and QB.

There will be a ton of BYU fans at that game, including myself.



Middle Tenn - no problem



at Cal and At Boise should be ours with our offense returning intact



I like next years schedule. I like the team we have coming back... I just want a JUCO stud linebacker added to the fold, but Hill is going to be much better.. our Oline will be much better and insanely deep (particularly with the addition of Tayfab at LT) and Williams, Lasike, Brown, and Hine will be potentially the best set of backs on the west coast.
C
Cougarbib
Love the optimism, but I will wait to bank on T Fab when I see him academically eligible. He is a good player but undisciplined student, at best.



I will get excited about Badger when he proves he is a player. Sure he transferred from ND. He was buried on their depth chart.



QB and RBs should be a strength. TE a complete mystery again. OL - who knows what we will have. Receivers - Hoffman, Ridley, and Falslev were about the entire show Saturday. All gone. Some may step up, but Apo is injury prone as may be others.



DBs the strength of the defense. A few other key players like Kaufusi. Lots of question marks.



The schedule is more forgiving - Go Cougs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib wrote:
Love the optimism, but I will wait to bank on T Fab when I see him academically eligible. He is a good player but undisciplined student, at best.



I will get excited about Badger when he proves he is a player. Sure he transferred from ND. He was buried on their depth chart.



QB and RBs should be a strength. TE a complete mystery again. OL - who knows what we will have. Receivers - Hoffman, Ridley, and Falslev were about the entire show Saturday. All gone. Some may step up, but Apo is injury prone as may be others.



DBs the strength of the defense. A few other key players like Kaufusi. Lots of question marks.



The schedule is more forgiving - Go Cougs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Badger has 3 more to play 3. Even if he does nothing but play special teams next year he's an improvement to our depth. Same for Wadsworth and Reilly that were both specials teams studs before they transferred (though they might only have 2 to play 2 after this, not sure).



Fabuluje is reportedly going to be good to go to practice this spring...



We have a juco all American coming in that is physically more talented than Cody and Mitch Matthews will be healthy.



TE will be manned by Thompson, Houk, Mahina and possibly Colby Jorgenson who is a freak of an athlete.
S
snoscythe
craigoscarson wrote:
I have really enjoyed Independence with the wide variety of opponents, different locales, and the exposure aspect as it relates to BYU and the Church in general. I do wonder if traveling across time zones every couple of weeks has any kind of negative impact on performance. It gets even worse next year with @UCONN, @Texas, @UCF, @Middle Tenn, and more regional trips @Boise and @ Cal. Thoughts?


It's a problem when you don't historically do well on the road; however of those games, I expect to only lose at Texas (UCF is 50/50 in my mind but that will be a big win... Houston and UCF played to a near draw) and I think we have a chance at Texas (depending on how many of their talented but underachieving guys go pro this year)



http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/indep/2014-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



It's a respectable schedule against teams that will be good but not great, yet it's enough that if we win out, we still have a much better resume' than NIU and Fresno State have this year.



UConn is a joke



UCF graduates 3 starting Olineman and will have to start sophs next year

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2116/sort/experience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sounds like our team)but they'll be very good and return nearly their entire defense, skill positions and QB.

There will be a ton of BYU fans at that game, including myself.



Middle Tenn - no problem



at Cal and At Boise should be ours with our offense returning intact



I like next years schedule. I like the team we have coming back... I just want a JUCO stud linebacker added to the fold, but Hill is going to be much better.. our Oline will be much better and insanely deep (particularly with the addition of Tayfab at LT) and Williams, Lasike, Brown, and Hine will be potentially the best set of backs on the west coast.


On paper, yes, but see UVa 2013. At the beginning of the season, and even halfway through the season, I was ready to dismiss that game as a fluke; an outlier.



Now, after seeing BYU on the road @ Houston, ND, and Wisconsin, that UVa game is looking more and more like an indication of true road woes and less and less like an outlier.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
It all goes back to what the primary goal of BYU football is and what is the vision of accomplishing it. If it's to be visible in different parts of the country and spread the word, then travel and playing on national TV is probably the best option. But this point is up for debate.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
It all goes back to what the primary goal of BYU football is and what is the vision of accomplishing it. If it's to be visible in different parts of the country and spread the word, then travel and playing on national TV is probably the best option. But this point is up for debate.

It is the best strategy for that mission. But, you get more losses than playing regional teams straight up or even buying some home field advantage.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.