Archived Topic

Takeaways

by BoiseBYU · 11/24/2013

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.
C
craigoscarson
BoiseBYU wrote:
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.

We were 2-3 3rd downs on each side from winning this game in the same matter that Notre Dame did. If you go back and watch it, it came down to 2 long passes not defended well by our walkon patchwork secondary, tackling their fb #33, and our tb #21 not getting any big runs. Our blue zone offense is well offensive.. but we had chances. This was not a game where we were dominated. We could have won this game. and the talent level was not appreciably better. I never would have bet on the Cougs to win on the road at ND... but I would bet on BYU tomorrow to beat ND at our place. We just weren't enough today, which has been the story of our season in our losses.



Virgina, Utah, Notre Dame... all should have been wins with a healthy Trammel, Lee, and Johnson... the fact that this season has not been an abject failure is a tribute to Robertson Daniel and Bronco Mendenhall. When Johnson went down... how many of you were worried that we'd make a bowl game?



Our entire offense returns next year and our defense will be solid with the best secondary we've had since the Cotton Bowl almost 20 years ago... Taysom is a soph folks... we're going to be much much better next year. Count on it.
F
frdbtr
craigoscarson wrote:
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.

We were 2-3 3rd downs on each side from winning this game in the same matter that Notre Dame did. If you go back and watch it, it came down to 2 long passes not defended well by our walkon patchwork secondary, tackling their fb #33, and our tb #21 not getting any big runs. Our blue zone offense is well offensive.. but we had chances. This was not a game where we were dominated. We could have won this game. and the talent level was not appreciably better. I never would have bet on the Cougs to win on the road at ND... but I would bet on BYU tomorrow to beat ND at our place. We just weren't enough today, which has been the story of our season in our losses.



Virgina, Utah, Notre Dame... all should have been wins with a healthy Trammel, Lee, and Johnson... the fact that this season has not been an abject failure is a tribute to Robertson Daniel and Bronco Mendenhall. When Johnson went down... how many of you were worried that we'd make a bowl game?



Our entire offense returns next year and our defense will be solid with the best secondary we've had since the Cotton Bowl almost 20 years ago... Taysom is a soph folks... we're going to be much much better next year. Count on it.


I think this explains my frustration really well today. I am not frustrated that we lost, we lost to a good ND team on the road. I can take losses to better teams, I can't take losses to teams we are evenly matched with when the effort is not where it should be. I listened to Bronco's interview on KSL post game and I can tell you that he feels the same way I do about todays game.
C
craigoscarson
frdbtr wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.

We were 2-3 3rd downs on each side from winning this game in the same matter that Notre Dame did. If you go back and watch it, it came down to 2 long passes not defended well by our walkon patchwork secondary, tackling their fb #33, and our tb #21 not getting any big runs. Our blue zone offense is well offensive.. but we had chances. This was not a game where we were dominated. We could have won this game. and the talent level was not appreciably better. I never would have bet on the Cougs to win on the road at ND... but I would bet on BYU tomorrow to beat ND at our place. We just weren't enough today, which has been the story of our season in our losses.



Virgina, Utah, Notre Dame... all should have been wins with a healthy Trammel, Lee, and Johnson... the fact that this season has not been an abject failure is a tribute to Robertson Daniel and Bronco Mendenhall. When Johnson went down... how many of you were worried that we'd make a bowl game?



Our entire offense returns next year and our defense will be solid with the best secondary we've had since the Cotton Bowl almost 20 years ago... Taysom is a soph folks... we're going to be much much better next year. Count on it.


I think this explains my frustration really well today. I am not frustrated that we lost, we lost to a good ND team on the road. I can take losses to better teams, I can't take losses to teams we are evenly matched with when the effort is not where it should be. I listened to Bronco's interview on KSL post game and I can tell you that he feels the same way I do about todays game.


We definitely have to be better when we get a good solid game from a good team on the road. Wisconsin and ND played solid. We weren't and we lost. Notre Dame beat USC, Michigan State, and Arizona State. We should have beaten an undefeated Notre Dame team last year... I'm not so sure that Notre Dame is really much worse this year than last. Last year the Domers looked like crap, even in their wins and the national championship was the most embarrassing finale of a college football season I have ever seen... I was embarrassed for Domer fans... . This year they have some pretty shiny wins, in spite of some pretty ugly Ls. It happens...



I like our schedule next year, I like Taysom, Tayfab as our left tackle (all Big 12) and the rest of our returning Oline and offense. I love our secondary for next year, our Dline will be solid... it's all about finding 5-6 stud linebackers and we could really make some serious noise. (the beauty of an experienced QB)...
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.

We were 2-3 3rd downs on each side from winning this game in the same matter that Notre Dame did. If you go back and watch it, it came down to 2 long passes not defended well by our walkon patchwork secondary, tackling their fb #33, and our tb #21 not getting any big runs. Our blue zone offense is well offensive.. but we had chances. This was not a game where we were dominated. We could have won this game. and the talent level was not appreciably better. I never would have bet on the Cougs to win on the road at ND... but I would bet on BYU tomorrow to beat ND at our place. We just weren't enough today, which has been the story of our season in our losses.



Virgina, Utah, Notre Dame... all should have been wins with a healthy Trammel, Lee, and Johnson... the fact that this season has not been an abject failure is a tribute to Robertson Daniel and Bronco Mendenhall. When Johnson went down... how many of you were worried that we'd make a bowl game?



Our entire offense returns next year and our defense will be solid with the best secondary we've had since the Cotton Bowl almost 20 years ago... Taysom is a soph folks... we're going to be much much better next year. Count on it.


I think this explains my frustration really well today. I am not frustrated that we lost, we lost to a good ND team on the road. I can take losses to better teams, I can't take losses to teams we are evenly matched with when the effort is not where it should be. I listened to Bronco's interview on KSL post game and I can tell you that he feels the same way I do about todays game.


Oh, yes. I'm sure he thinks his team is soft and gutless. :roll: now I see why Bronco calls U

Out the level of education of our fans.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Take aways:

Our defense doesn't create enough of them.

Our offense doesn't take enough advantage of them.
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm calling BYus red zone offense, just that, red zone offense, as in red light zone offense, until they get above 60%. It's the greatest takeaway offensively this year. 3rd down conversion is a close second. But 47% TD conversion in Red Light zone is a pathetic 116th in the nation.

Oh and Anae, please, for the love of all things holy, TAKEAWAY the diamond formation. That may as well be called the Coal Formation. It is so heavy and inneficient and just sucks!
C
Cougs_Rule
Defensively. BYU misses Hadley Badly!!!!! BYU better reload fast. They are in rough shape.

Fua is ok, very adaptable, but not a force as much as KVN has been. But we see what Hadley out did for the KVN-limited his free lancing and effectiveness.

It will be odd to see the D backfield be the strongest unit on D next year. In order, Dbackfield, Dlne, and then LBs. how's that for a backward world at BYU? Dos that portend a long year defensively?
B
Brayden Green
I don't think that we take a step ahead next year in defense. Having better DBs change the dynamics of things, but we lose a LOT of people on the dline, Pikula looks to be a good backer, but no one else looks to be a game changer, and we lose Sorenson. (We still have Bills, which is great, but the loss of a 3 year starter at the safety is being overlooked). Sorenson will get an NFL paycheck as a backup safety and gunner. He will be sorely missed, and we will feel that next year.



I think the offense can and should get better (can it get worse than what we have seen against decent teams this year?), but I think that the defense might be only marginally better, if at all, when the Dline and Backers and Sorenson get replaced.



Do we have any RMs of impact coming back? Our recruiting classes have been just so-so on the defensive side in recent years, if memory serves me. What say you, Craig, and others. Not trying to be a debbie downer, just looking at it from a "not quite sure" perspective. We lose a lot of experience on defense, that experience this year is pulling us from what could be a bottom 75 defense to a top 30 defense.
C
craigoscarson
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I don't think that we take a step ahead next year in defense. Having better DBs change the dynamics of things, but we lose a LOT of people on the dline, Pikula looks to be a good backer, but no one else looks to be a game changer, and we lose Sorenson. (We still have Bills, which is great, but the loss of a 3 year starter at the safety is being overlooked). Sorenson will get an NFL paycheck as a backup safety and gunner. He will be sorely missed, and we will feel that next year.



I think the offense can and should get better (can it get worse than what we have seen against decent teams this year?), but I think that the defense might be only marginally better, if at all, when the Dline and Backers and Sorenson get replaced.



Do we have any RMs of impact coming back? Our recruiting classes have been just so-so on the defensive side in recent years, if memory serves me. What say you, Craig, and others. Not trying to be a debbie downer, just looking at it from a "not quite sure" perspective. We lose a lot of experience on defense, that experience this year is pulling us from what could be a bottom 75 defense to a top 30 defense.


Our Dline will be better next year based on experience and size. EM is not a proto tackle, still good but Johnson and (hopefully Peoples) and others have prototypical size for it and a spring summer and fall to get better at it. Bronson, Peck and others will be better.



Our secondary will be light years better. Move Daniel to FS , Bills SS, Johnson, Trammel, and Davis at corner with Leavitt, Povey, Wadsworth, Reilly, Badger, Bateman as backups. I think Daniel might be better than Sorenson at FS, given a year to prepare for it as his spot. I think we'll play a lot of nickel on passing downs and be very very good at it. I think we're forgetting how good our secondary could have been this year if Johnson and Trammel were healthy. Our special teams coverage teams are going to be outstanding too with all those safeties that can tackle in the open field.



Our linebackers are a head scratcher. Fua has to gain weight (has to, please feed him Provo polys) and Pikula is going to be very good. Tautu looks like a big athletic body with potential and Ho Ching was a tackling machine in high school. Those are my guesses for the LB corps, but like I said I think we'll play a lot of nickel.

Other spots? Teu Kautai, Sae Tautu, Ho Ching, Alisa, (Troy Hinds right off mission is asking a lot) So is Cook, and Warner (freshmen) Joey Owens? (is he a D1 player even, not sure)

Could be a problem... but we can make due there. We will still be a top 25 defense with the best secondary (potentially) in the history of BYU.





Our offense brings everyone back and replaces Hoffman with a JUCO all American that I think is more talented. Houk will bulk up some more and assuming he finds a set of hands will make a very good TE and is a big target. Matthews will be better. (depth at receiver is a question, but I think we're good if we're healthy) Hill is a winner and will figure it out.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Thanks Craig. I don't know "Daniel" that you mention at safety. Is that "Badger" that transfered over? Or someone else. I normally keep up on BYU recruiting/transfers so I am thinking I am having a brain fart. I do remember how good our Dbacks were going to be, and I *hope* they can all get back healthy, but if that doesn't shake out we can expect another year like this one, with Leavitt healthy and being a little better. Having Johnson backwill be amazing. Linebackers are a head scratcher to me, and Kaufusi will be amazing next year, but that is all I expect out of the line. I hope Peck steps up, but I can't see the groundwork for having a great Dline next year. Most people don't understand that In a 3-4, the Dline is the most important part of the defense. IF they don't hold the line against the run (set the edge) and keep the Oline/fullback/tight ends from getting downfield it doesn't matter what else we do.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Thanks Craig. I don't know "Daniel" that you mention at safety. Is that "Badger" that transfered over? Or someone else. I normally keep up on BYU recruiting/transfers so I am thinking I am having a brain fart. I do remember how good our Dbacks were going to be, and I *hope* they can all get back healthy, but if that doesn't shake out we can expect another year like this one, with Leavitt healthy and being a little better. Having Johnson backwill be amazing. Linebackers are a head scratcher to me, and Kaufusi will be amazing next year, but that is all I expect out of the line. I hope Peck steps up, but I can't see the groundwork for having a great Dline next year. Most people don't understand that In a 3-4, the Dline is the most important part of the defense. IF they don't hold the line against the run (set the edge) and keep the Oline/fullback/tight ends from getting downfield it doesn't matter what else we do.


"Daniel" is Robertson Daniel who is currently our starting CB who was sick on Saturday. Badger is Chris Badger who is currently playing special teams and is a transfer from Notre Dame.



While the Dline is important (especially the nose guard) in the 3-4, the linebackers are most important. That is why Bronco uses it because we recruit awesome talent at linebacker at BYU.
B
Brayden Green
A ha! #4. I know the guy. I didn't know that he was playing out of position for us. He is a hell of a hitter. Could he play the SS position and/or does he have experience at FS (I'm not versed in his backstory)?



I would disagree about the Dline not being important (in the run game). In the passing game you are correct. I have played defensive end both in a 4-3 and a 3-4. They are the most important unit in stopping the run. Though, you are correct that the backers are the most important for interrupting the pass. IF the Dline wasn't occupying bodies in the run, and clogging the middle taking up multiple blockers (Nose Guard is really important but the ends are just as important) than there would be no need for the offense to ever pass getting 4 yards a carry.



We're both right ;)



Also, on a separate but related note, I don't think that people really appreciate what a talent that Kaufusi is... he is getting sacks and pressure from a position that he isn't expected or required to get either. He is a special talent for us, and is NFL bound, possibly after next year (with a good offseason and dominant season next year).
B
BoiseBYU
craigoscarson wrote:
ND went into the game with injuries, but so did we, including our two top DBS at the beginning of the year and our second LB. ND is much deeper. NDCoug (congrats by the way) didn't let on the the second and third string ND guys are pretty top notch replacements. Our backups played hard, but we simply aren't as deep and can't absorb losses like a ND can.



I was surprised at how much our DLine was pushed around. ND's unsung heroes were its TEs and how well they blocked. We hurried Reese once the whole game, or maybe it was twice.



GFGH does not know how to handle the blue zone. That's our Achilles heal, among other things. Sigh. I didn't think our D would get pushed around that much for that long.

We were 2-3 3rd downs on each side from winning this game in the same matter that Notre Dame did. If you go back and watch it, it came down to 2 long passes not defended well by our walkon patchwork secondary, tackling their fb #33, and our tb #21 not getting any big runs. Our blue zone offense is well offensive.. but we had chances. This was not a game where we were dominated. We could have won this game. and the talent level was not appreciably better. I never would have bet on the Cougs to win on the road at ND... but I would bet on BYU tomorrow to beat ND at our place. We just weren't enough today, which has been the story of our season in our losses.



Virgina, Utah, Notre Dame... all should have been wins with a healthy Trammel, Lee, and Johnson... the fact that this season has not been an abject failure is a tribute to Robertson Daniel and Bronco Mendenhall. When Johnson went down... how many of you were worried that we'd make a bowl game?



Our entire offense returns next year and our defense will be solid with the best secondary we've had since the Cotton Bowl almost 20 years ago... Taysom is a soph folks... we're going to be much much better next year. Count on it.


I agree with much that you say. I was surprised how well ND ran on us. I've gotten spoiled with how stingy and stout we've been. We gave up two long passes because, maybe in part, we just aren't as deep as say ND is in positions like DB. And KVN was gang blocked a lot because no one like Hadley was there to fill his important slot.
C
craigoscarson
BlueIsBetter wrote:
A ha! #4. I know the guy. I didn't know that he was playing out of position for us. He is a hell of a hitter. Could he play the SS position and/or does he have experience at FS (I'm not versed in his backstory)?



I would disagree about the Dline not being important (in the run game). In the passing game you are correct. I have played defensive end both in a 4-3 and a 3-4. They are the most important unit in stopping the run. Though, you are correct that the backers are the most important for interrupting the pass. IF the Dline wasn't occupying bodies in the run, and clogging the middle taking up multiple blockers (Nose Guard is really important but the ends are just as important) than there would be no need for the offense to ever pass getting 4 yards a carry.



We're both right ;)



Also, on a separate but related note, I don't think that people really appreciate what a talent that Kaufusi is... he is getting sacks and pressure from a position that he isn't expected or required to get either. He is a special talent for us, and is NFL bound, possibly after next year (with a good offseason and dominant season next year).


Dline is important to make it possible for our linebackers to make the tackles in our D. Broncos D comes down to primarily stopping the run and with our secondary, he can sleep well at night that his linebackers can concentrate on the run. We will have an experienced Dline that will give our linebackers chances... I just don't know who those linebackers will be and if they can make open field tackles and stuff the run.



You can put together a winning team with average dlinemen and NFL caliber linebackers in Broncos system. I'm not so sure that NFL caliber dlinemen and average linebackers works.. I guess we'll see. Again, it certainly helps that our secondary could be lights out and that we can go to nickel in passing downs with zero problem and no drop off. (probably an improvement with Badger, Reilly, Wadsworth, or Leavitt playing the nickel).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.