Archived Topic

This one's on Coach Rose...

by Phatgreen · 11/21/2013

Advertisement
P
Phatgreen
Had trouble sleeping after that game, and I'm still very bitter this morning. Here's my 2 cents:



- Why didn't they double that guy (#31 I think) that was completely destroying Nate Austin in the post? They finally did after Austin had been burned like 3 times in a row during crunch time. Too little too late.



- Crunch time free throws were horrendous.



- Why the heck was Collinsworth bringing up the ball to end the game? Love the guy but that ball needed to be in Carlino's or Haws' hands for the last three seconds. I know they tried to call timeout, but maybe Rose needed to have his players ready for that during the last sequence.



- Haws had a wide open Carlino when his shot was blocked because he was triple teamed. Need to know when to dish it.



- To no fault of Rose, the refs were absolutely horrible. ISU got ALL the calls in our home gym. Not cool.



Bottom line: I think Dave Rose (whom I absolutely love) needed to have his guys better prepared to end that game. Obviously some things were out of his control and the players have to execute, but this loss is on him. I'm tired of watching our team crumble down the stretch against good teams. A great team wins that game going away. We're not there yet...again.
E
ElderCyclone
Phatgreen wrote:
- To no fault of Rose, the refs were absolutely horrible. ISU got ALL the calls in our home gym. Not cool.


ultimate lel
B
BoiseBYU
ElderCyclone wrote:
- To no fault of Rose, the refs were absolutely horrible. ISU got ALL the calls in our home gym. Not cool.


ultimate lel


Elder Cyclone, were'd you serve your mission?
S
snoscythe
I love mental midgets who don't have the balls to visit an opposing team's board before a game, but eagerly come to troll after they win.
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
I love mental midgets who don't have the balls to visit an opposing team's board before a game, but eagerly come to troll after they win.


Maybe he served his mission to the land of munchkin?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Would love to hear ElderCyclone's defense of ISU's eye gouging tactics, giving the student section the bird, and then completely ignoring the fact they did so.



As to Phatgreen's questions, here is what I have to offer:



1) We did try to double #31 earlier in the game. ISU was very smart about recognizing doubles and would send a man cutting to the hoop as soon as we doubled. This usually resulted in an easy layup. So, Rose played him straight up. Agree, probably should have doubled him sooner or guarded him more heavily on the entry pass.



2) Free throw shooting has been horrendous. But, it's not Rose shooting the free throws so I don't see how last night was on Rose. I hope/assume Rose is addressing the horrific free throw shooting in practice. Can't really do anything about it in game, though.



3) Collinsworth had no business bringing the ball up. Rose said he wanted and asked for a TO but was not given it for some reason. So, that's not on Rose either. Collinsworth should have called a TO, but for whatever reason was in hurry up mode.



4) Haws forcing the shot over 3 defenders was dumb. This was probably a combination of Rose and Haws, but mostly on Haws. Rose probably wanted Haws taking the shot given Haws' shooting ability; however, Carlino should have brought the ball up and dished to Haws. Haws in general doesn't pass the ball well. His assists are way low for a guard/small forward.



5) I thought the refs called a good game. We didn't loose it because of the refs. In the first half, hardly any fouls were called against BYU. BYU was in the bonus while ISU was still 2 fouls away from being there. There were some missed offensive fouls, particularly Ejim shoving Austin with his arm on the base line. Other than that, I thought it was decently called game.



BYU does have trouble finishing out close games. Clock management seems to be a big issue (St Mary's last year). Hopefully Rose and company are learning.



My biggest frustration with this game is giving up a 12 point lead. Rather than pull hot players, Rose needs to do a better job calling timeouts early in opponents' runs, disrupting the opposing team's rhythm and calming his guys down.



Also, Winder should have picked the ball up and secured it rather than try and make a play in the final 30 seconds. Had he done so, he had KC wide open underneath - tie game. Instead, he got fouled and missed his free throw.
M
Mars


I wish that BYU would have been awarded the final time out. And that Mika wouldn't have been injured and had to leave the game. And that the Cougars would have made a couple more free throws.
P
Phatgreen
Yes, obviously the players have to execute. And not all of my bullet points were pointing to Rose as the culprit, just a couple. Overall, it looked like they weren't prepared to play crunch time ball at the end. Losing Mika sucked, but I hold the head coach responsible for the poor preparation, and the players for the poor execution.
G
Gunk
Phatgreen wrote:
Yes, obviously the players have to execute. And not all of my bullet points were pointing to Rose as the culprit, just a couple. Overall, it looked like they weren't prepared to play crunch time ball at the end. Losing Mika sucked, but I hold the head coach responsible for the poor preparation, and the players for the poor execution.


There were some poor adjustments by Rose, no question. I thought overall we were prepared but lost it down the stretch.



One thing I don't get is yanking Carlino when he got us a 12 point lead. I get that he made a couple of bone headed plays in a row, but rather than pull the guy that got you the lead a timeout should have been called to keep Carlino in check.
B
beauso79
Halford should have been used more
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Phatgreen wrote:
Had trouble sleeping after that game, and I'm still very bitter this morning. Here's my 2 cents:



- Why didn't they double that guy (#31 I think) that was completely destroying Nate Austin in the post? They finally did after Austin had been burned like 3 times in a row during crunch time. Too little too late.



- Crunch time free throws were horrendous.



- Why the heck was Collinsworth bringing up the ball to end the game? Love the guy but that ball needed to be in Carlino's or Haws' hands for the last three seconds. I know they tried to call timeout, but maybe Rose needed to have his players ready for that during the last sequence.



- Haws had a wide open Carlino when his shot was blocked because he was triple teamed. Need to know when to dish it.



- To no fault of Rose, the refs were absolutely horrible. ISU got ALL the calls in our home gym. Not cool.



Bottom line: I think Dave Rose (whom I absolutely love) needed to have his guys better prepared to end that game. Obviously some things were out of his control and the players have to execute, but this loss is on him. I'm tired of watching our team crumble down the stretch against good teams. A great team wins that game going away. We're not there yet...again.


Rose is responsible for every win and every loss. He recruited the players, develops the players, hires the assistant coaches, approves game plans, decides who should play when.



He owns it. Within that framework assistant coaches and players own pieces of it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.