Archived Topic

Would you sustain Harry Reid

by mizzoucoug · 11/20/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
as your bishop?



I would wholeheartedly reject this man as I could never looks past the blatant dishonesty and corruption by which he has made his millions in his infamous career. To me Harry Reid is simply the Mormon version of Ted Kennedy. Both would serve the country better by not existing.



(I meant to post this right after the "Mitt Romney doesn't pay his taxes" BS diatribe, but couldn't get into politics for a while after that farce of an election. Now is as good as any day I guess.)
S
Schmoe
If I were in said situation, I would have to pray about it long and hard. Even if I think the guy is a scuz, I don't know him personally and don't know the in's and out's of his life. If the Lord confirmed to me that he was the guy for the calling, that would be good enough for me (however tough it would be for me to accept it).
S
scott715
Lets hope it never happens.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
If that were to happen, it means a stake president and stake presidency, after prayer believed they received the inspiration and revelation to call him. So to not sustain him means you know more than these men, with the keys granted, to issue that call. That puts you in a tough spot. Do stake presidents make mistakes? Of course. But I'd not think right out of the block that I know more than what the Lord and His servants know. BTW, my son was in Sen. Reid's ward in DC for several years and Sen Reid attended church every week with his secret service detail. Said the senator was very humble. My other child went to the BYU devotional where Sen Reid was invited to speak and said it was faith promoting FWIW. Not trying to change anyone's mind, just thought I'd pass along.
G
Guest
I have always said that some leaders are called to guide and help us while others are called to test our faith and patience.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I would have a very difficult time sustaining him.



But Boise brings up some great points.



I'm guessing he would not be called as a church leader while serving as a Senator.
N
nuk13
I have heard he made deals the rest of us couldn't make. If that is true I wonder how he answers the questions about being honest in his dealings with his fellow men? Also, I don't think being humble or acting humble negates dishonesty. Another question I have is how does he reconcile taking citizens agency with what we know of what the Savior advocated in the war in heaven.



My cousin claims that there are people that leave the temple when Reid shows up. On the the other hand my friend says we should be able to have hearts big enough to accept people like him. I don't know what I'd do. If I had to face sustaining him I would also pray and perhaps talk to those who made the call to make known my concerns. I am grateful I don't live in his ward. If I lived in his state I would not vote for him
S
scott715
Aanother issue is that Bishops are approved by SLC before they are called.
S
snoscythe
As a bishop? If it came to that, yeah, I probably would. I might raise my hand in opposition and take the opportunity to discuss my concerns with the Stake President, but if after that discussion they presented him again, I would likely sustain. Bishops have limited influence on my own progression, so it wouldn't give me heartburn, and my sustaining would be limited to his responsibilities and actions in his capacity as a bishop, not anything outside of that realm.
M
mizzoucoug
snoscythe wrote:
As a bishop? If it came to that, yeah, I probably would. I might raise my hand in opposition and take the opportunity to discuss my concerns with the Stake President, but if after that discussion they presented him again, I would likely sustain. Bishops have limited influence on my own progression, so it wouldn't give me heartburn, and my sustaining would be limited to his responsibilities and actions in his capacity as a bishop, not anything outside of that realm.


Very good point Sno, however, he does run the ward and the way I see it if you don't sustain your bishop you're not really part of the ward. I don't know. I've always loved my bishops but some are weirder, or more outgoing, and of course some are better leaders than others. And no, that has not affected my salvation one bit.



However, no matter my experience with a given bishop, I still respected and looked up to them as honorable men with a difficult calling. I don't believe there is a chance in the world that I could ever look at or deal with Harry Reid and have anything but thoughts of disgust and perhaps even hatred toward him. He is a miserable devil.
Advertisement
T
tww
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
tww wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.
T
tww
mizzoucoug wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
tww wrote:
tww wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Most Democrats are simply narcissists who want to claim altruistic motives by coerced sharing of the wealth. I defy any Dems on this board who may be reading.



http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/review/21/1/S00014-5176a36460cc714Boyce.pdf
B
BoiseBYU
tww wrote:
tww wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The LDS democrats I know do NOT try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I know I don't. I'm not sure how much of a democrat I am these days, but I think it wrong to collectively define all or most people of a political persuasion in a spiritually negative way.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The LDS democrats I know do NOT try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I know I don't. I'm not sure how much of a democrat I am these days, but I think it wrong to collectively define all or most people of a political persuasion in a spiritually negative way.


Sure it is. Name one single Democrat policy that is in alignment with the Gospel.
B
BoiseBYU
mizzoucoug wrote:
tww wrote:
tww wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The LDS democrats I know do NOT try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I know I don't. I'm not sure how much of a democrat I am these days, but I think it wrong to collectively define all or most people of a political persuasion in a spiritually negative way.


Sure it is. Name one single Democrat policy that is in alignment with the Gospel.


Let's be precise. TWW said LDS democrats equate the Law of Consecration with socialism. I am not aware of a faithful LDS democrat who does that. Not one. The law of consecration is a sacred covenant. To equate a failed man-made political/economic system with a sacred covenant and say LDS democrats do that is poor form and your zeal in painting LDS democrats as not in alignment with the gospel is polarizing and unrighteous judgment. I am a "soft" democrat. That said I have no obligation and will not dignify your challenge with a response. If you really wanted to know, you could figure it out pretty easily, because I know you are not stupid, just someone with a made-up mind and an agenda.
B
bigbluepuma
Excellent question, Mizz. I can't imagine how hard that would be for me. I might have to move to another ward just to survive. I think sno, schmoe, hawkwing and some others had good thoughts. Ultimately, we don't know why the Lord calls a given individual to a calling, and sometimes that is the test for us. A favorite scripture of mine: D&C 101:4 applies here; "Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son". I think this would be an Abrahamic trial for me, because I think this man is pure evil, on a level with Nancy Palosy and our illustrious president. These three have our great country on the verge of complete collapse, and they are doing it on purpose.



Socialism (as these three advocate), differs diametrically from the United Order in the two central tennets of both. First: socialism takes by force, the wealth from those who have, and gives to those who have not, while the UO is lived voluntarily, and provides for the needs and wants of all. Second: Socialism leaves it at that: (we have helped the poor), while the United Order requires all to share in the work. All may not be able to do that which creates the wealth, but all are able to contribute to the well being of the community. Socialism creates indolence, while the United Order fosters industry. Beyond that, socialism NEVER does what it claims to do, which is redistribute the wealth to make all equal. Those who advocate socialist reform paint the rich as evil usurpers who have stolen their wealth from the people, then by revolution or legislation, endeavor to take the wealth from the those currently in power and put themselves in the position of wealth and power. Look at any successful socialist revolution and you will see that it never does away with the wealthy, it just changes the faces. In the United Order (the Lord's kingdom), all share equally. Ultimately, if we live worthy, partake of his atonement and endure to the end, we will share all with him, even his glory. we will be "even as he is."



Back to the original question: I have had many good bishops, and a few who have tried my faith. Sometimes I have really wondered why an individual was called. The toughest bishop (for all the ward) I have had was a really good man who was called at a young age, and was very dogmatic in his approach to his calling. He really tried the ward and drove some away. Many wondered why he was called, and why he remained in his calling for so long, while his flock suffered. I believe in this case, he was called to train him for the next time he is called, when his strength, spirituality and knowledge will really be needed, coupled with the wisdom he will have gained from looking back on his first experience and realizing the mistakes he made. There are troubling times ahead, and this man will now be prepared to lead his flock through them.



In another case, I know a man who was swindled out of a lot of money in a business deal, by a member of his ward, who was just plain dishonest and unscrupulous. Shortly thereafter, the man was called to be my friend's bishop. This would have had to be a Harry Reid type of deal for my friend and for many others in his ward. My friend's wife left the church over this calling, but when I last saw my friend, he was still active, and the man was still the bishop. I don't know why this man was called. It seems impossible that the Lord would call such a man, but the Lord sees far beyond what we can see. Maybe this was the thing that made the man turn his life around. Maybe he was called because he was the only one who could help a specific person or group within the ward, or his family, or elswhere, and the Lord had another plan to help those who the man hurt. Maybe he was the Abraham moment for someone in the ward. This might simply be the Lord's way of allowing this man to have his own Abraham moment, and repent...or seal his own fate.



I only hope that I am never faced with the dilema of sustaining or not sustaining someone like Harry Reid.
C
Cougarfan87
scott715 wrote:
Aanother issue is that Bishops are approved by SLC before they are called.


When you are called as a bishop you receive a certificate from the First Presidency. However, as stated before, the recommendation goes to the First Presidency from the Stake President, is either approved or not, and then the Stake President issues the call and reminds the person called that his calling was reviewed by the First Presidency.



So, one might want to consider that in their deciding, hypothetically, whether to sustain Harry Reid as a bishop.
C
Cougarfan87
BoiseBYU wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
I have been in the same quorum as HR and have followed his political history for about thirty-five years. Let me just say that PT Barnum has nothing on Harry.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you have anymore insight into what he's like in that capacity? I'd love to hear that I am wrong about him.




Thinking back on it, I don't remember what callings he held. He never had a calling in which I reported to or worked with him. I do remember trying to follow his logic in a talk or class. I remember him acting like a GA and inviting himself to sit on the stand. That always bugged me. I heard a rumor once that a bishop asked him to take a seat in a pew. I hope it is true.



He is a guy that has never had a private sector job. He tells a story that he was a poor kid from Search Light, NV. He is now the wealthiest senator in DC. Figure that one out.



He started his political career on the Clark county commission supposedly running the mob out of LV. In case it isn't obvious, the mob never actually left.



Wasn't it just a couple years ago he gave a talk at BYU and totally trash talked Pres. Benson?



He like many other LDS democrats that I know try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I see it as an attempt to replace the gospel with the adversary's plan but call it the gospel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The LDS democrats I know do NOT try to sell socialism as the Law of Consecration. I know I don't. I'm not sure how much of a democrat I am these days, but I think it wrong to collectively define all or most people of a political persuasion in a spiritually negative way.


Sure it is. Name one single Democrat policy that is in alignment with the Gospel.


Let's be precise. TWW said LDS democrats equate the Law of Consecration with socialism. I am not aware of a faithful LDS democrat who does that. Not one. The law of consecration is a sacred covenant. To equate a failed man-made political/economic system with a sacred covenant and say LDS democrats do that is poor form and your zeal in painting LDS democrats as not in alignment with the gospel is polarizing and unrighteous judgment. I am a "soft" democrat. That said I have no obligation and will not dignify your challenge with a response. If you really wanted to know, you could figure it out pretty easily, because I know you are not stupid, just someone with a made-up mind and an agenda.


I don't know that I consider myself either, since it appears there is a new current in the Republican party that wants to do away with social issues, like elective abortion, that I find aboslutely repugnant in order to be more popular with people today. There is a movement to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative, which means I will soon be a man without a party. None of the political parties encapuslate the gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed. So, I do the best I can to vote for the PERSON I feel will best protect my ability to continue to live that gospel and will not lead to the downfall of the nation. Usually, it is the lesser of two evils, although I have to say I am pretty please with my Congressional delegates from Alabama. Senator Sessions, Senator Shelby, and Representative Mo Brooks seems to respresent how I feel on most topics.



However, if I had my druthers, I would completely do away with political parties. I think it would be better for the nation in the long run. Not so much dogma, hate, or vitriol just because someone has a D or R behind their name. You would actually have the find out the measure of the man or woman and understand their ideas to vote for them. We would see immediate improvement in our over-all political leadership, in my opinion. So, how do we get those in power to vote out the party system? :whistle:
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.