Archived Topic

MC attendance on decline

by EM_Puma · 11/19/2013

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I'm surprised I guess when I see a top 25 ranked team like Iowa State coming to town and with BYU 4-0 and averaging 96.2 points/game that the game is not sold out.



My son that I always went to games with moved in October to Omaha, so I no longer have a travel buddy and I'm not going to games alone. But I don't know what's wrong with most of the fans. We could sell out the Wake game a few years ago, but why not now.



I have to believe that it is the TV coverage. Every BYU game is on TV. I don't think the Wake one was and a lot less back then. When people can see the games from the comfort of home, it's getting tough to resist. Also, as an often noted issue for BYU fans and their spending, this game has ticktes priced almost like a Utah game. There are some of the $5 tickets still around, but a lot of the $5 seats are $10.



Heck, we sold out the Fresno St game when Steve Cleveland came to do his last curtain call as a coach, but we can't sell out a top 20 team coming to MC. I guess that shows that are are plenty of people willing to come if the game is priced right because that game had $1 tickets. I guess the BYU athletic department needs to find the right price point because games like this HAVE to sell out if you're a big time program.
S
snoscythe
Early in the season is always a bit slower when the team is competing with football for attention and the schedule is largely cupcakes. Most fans see "Iowa State" and think "cupcake" simply by historical reputation.



I'm not sure a sell-out this early is a must-do when you seat 22.7K either.



And then there's the underlying do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do message in the OP: "Heck if I'm going to make the effort to go to the game, but all those other whippersnappers who choose not to go just don't get it." ;)
S
SpiffCoug
Attendance is down everywhere.



EM - you don't have to go alone. You can come sit by me.
Q
Qman
It is a long drive from Houston. Otherwise I think I would be there often.
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:
Attendance is down everywhere.



EM - you don't have to go alone. You can come sit by me.


Yeah, we'll have to do that a game or so. I can't imagine not going to a BB game this season. My one daughter said she'd do BB, just doesn't like FB, so she's a possibility. Do you still sit in the SS (ROC)?
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Have you seen the attendance at some of the games on ESPN so far this year? Texas A&M vs Tx Southern yesterday had maybe one person for every 15 seats. They're supposedly a big time BCS Program. Other games have looked sparse as we'll.



I think we will get 16-18k at our game tomorrow night. Students have been camping out in the cold to get the best seats. I'm happy with those things. I think we'll end up in the top 25 in attendance thus year, that should indicate a big time program. A 100% guarantee! we lead the WCC conference in attendance ;)
B
BYULV
Last year we ranked 15th in attendance for the entire country, just less than 16k per game. Not a lot of schools that pull in better attendance than BYU.



http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2013.pdf



There are a lot of big time teams that don't even come close to BYU's attendance. I think we're doing just fine.
C
craigoscarson
I think it'll be close to a walk up sell out if the weather isn't horrible. Iowa State hasn't been ranked all season and the word is likely getting out to people that aren't diehards.



I'm really shocked that at even $10 that people wouldn't be climbing all over each other to get to this game. This would be our biggest noncon win in what 3-4 years?
E
EM_Puma
BYULV wrote:
A 100% guarantee! we lead the WCC conference in attendance ;)


BYULV you're a funny man. If you remember, practically the capacity of the entire WCC would fit snuggly in the confines of the Marriott Center.
E
EM_Puma
I wondered if TH wouldn't come up with a marketing plan to try to sell out the MC. Here he sells tickets for $4 for the game (Greg Wrubell said $5, but there must be the $1 service feel on each ticket to make them $5). The sale only goes to midnight, better hurry up.



http://t.co/bwVgOSsadT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Enter the promotion code: FACEBOOK
Advertisement
G
Guest
The fact of the matter is that for most fans, basketball season doesn't truly start until after football season ends, at least the regular season.
G
Gunk
If I lived near Provo, I would shell out for basketball season tickets.



It's early in the season. Most students probably don't even know BYU is playing a top 25 team and I highly doubt fans know. Too bad. Going to be a good game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I checked available seats since yesterday and there still looks like there are 3K plus in seats open for tonight. It's supposed to be a rainy day with only snow in the mountains. I think we'll end up about there.
C
craigoscarson
My guess is it'll be a sellout by game time. Now let's go win this thing.
C
Cougarbib
It looked impressive on TV. What was the attendance.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
The top 5-6 rows were empty. I'd guess 16k.



Edit: Official attendance was 15808.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.