Archived Topic

I have a joke he says...

by pikoi · 11/18/2013

Advertisement
P
pikoi
So Saturday I wore my BYU shirt to a ward breakfast and a member (let's just say...he looked like a Ute fan...) says, "I have a joke for you."



I laughed and said go ahead. He proceeds, "How does a BYU fan celebrate winning a BCS game? They turn off the XBOX! HAHAHAHAH!!!!"



I calmly responded, "Oh yeah, isn't that how Utah fans celebrate National Championships?"



He says (with some justfication), "Let's talk about something that has happened in the current players lifetimes." I then asked him what the expiration date was on a National Championship. No response.



But what is it? It is about time we beat the Utes and made some noise on the National level. I am optimistic as our Defense seems to reload every year and we should see improvements from both Hill and the Oline over the next couple years. Go Cougs!
B
BerliNY
At Auburn they expire after about two years. More realistically, I think that they never truly expire unless you take down the stadium banner but they do slowly fade in memory to the point that Utah's BCS victories are more important/relevant right now than BYU's NC. Fortunately I think BCS wins will no longer be relevant once the BCS dies and I don't see Utah winning any NCs for good long while.
M
mormonrasta
I am very proud that BYU has won a National Title, but to me it isn't relevant anymore. We won one in a completely different era before the Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, and now playoff era. What we accomplished more closely resembles what Minnesota did in 1941 to win a national title than what Alabama did last year.



For the last quarter century we've averaged 8 wins a year, and the number of quality road wins vs. major programs can be counted on one hand (and you don't even need all 5 fingers). We're good, but not great.



I'm OK with where we are. I wish we were better, but in order to get there BYU would need to become a place that is much more friendly to nonLDS and nonRM types. Right now, that is not where the University wants to be. Given with what we have to work with we really do have a good program, and it could be alot worse.
N
NDCougar
mormonrasta wrote:
I am very proud that BYU has won a National Title, but to me it isn't relevant anymore. We won one in a completely different era before the Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, and now playoff era. What we accomplished more closely resembles what Minnesota did in 1941 to win a national title than what Alabama did last year.



For the last quarter century we've averaged 8 wins a year, and the number of quality road wins vs. major programs can be counted on one hand (and you don't even need all 5 fingers). We're good, but not great.



I'm OK with where we are. I wish we were better, but in order to get there BYU would need to become a place that is much more friendly to nonLDS and nonRM types. Right now, that is not where the University wants to be. Given with what we have to work with we really do have a good program, and it could be alot worse.


Wow, I agree on everything. I would say the place I wish we could get to is to improve LDS recruiting (Bronco needs to work on this) and I don't need to be Alabama, but having a BCS type season every 5 years is not crazy. Averaging 7-10 wins other years.



Heck, this could have been a great year if we only beat the teams we're supposed to beat (UVA and the U).
A
ABYUFAN
Utes are great in that they like to have some imaginary line in the past that beyond - things are no longer relevant. Soon their BCS games will be past that line, and soon thier bowl game expereince will be past that line too.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think anything post-1970 is relevant. In another 10 years, it'll be post-1980.



So I give the shelf life on it until about 2024.
L
Lawboy
NDCougar wrote:

For the last quarter century we've averaged 8 wins a year, and the number of quality road wins vs. major programs can be counted on one hand (and you don't even need all 5 fingers). We're good, but not great.


A large part of this is how many of those games BYU is actually able to schedule, which is maybe 1 per year. This year, it is 3, and we are 0-2 so far. BCS leagues get 4-5 chances per year, so easier to rack those up. Less easy with an MWC schedule. That is not BYU's fault.



But I understand what you are sayng. BYU needs to win more games away from LES against top quality opponents. It is my biggest complaint with Bronco.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.