Archived Topic

Bronco's free's up 2 schlorships

by stgeorgefan · 11/17/2013

Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Austin Holt and Marcus Mathews asked not to return for their senior seasons.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/57138407-88/mathews-holt-byu-season.html.csp



The article says it's due to return missionaries. I commented in the recruiting thread about a 5 star RB in next years class that was just offered. The kid has 50+ offers and already has a top 5-10 list. I wonder if there is some recruits out there that Byu wants and needs to clear up space. RM's can always red shirt.
M
Mars


Marcus Mathews is a married RM who is graduating, but he doesn't sound happy about not being able to play his senior season. He was also asked to play against Idaho State since 3 other TEs were hurt, and he had 1 reception for 10 yards.
C
Cougs_Rule
I recently heard a former HS coach who said that if a Sr wasn't starting his Sr year, he was cut from the team. This allowed JRs to get PT and more fully develop. It's a bummer if you are that cut player and feels disloyal to a parent. But pragmatically, it makes sense.

I feel for these guys, but its tme to move on. Holt and Mthews had been shuffled around trying to find a better fit for them and nothing worked.

How about Bronco being committed to the program moving forward. Interesting.
A
a1247
I am disappointed how these two players turned out. Both were big time players coming out of high school. But due to injuries and IMO not red shirting them as freshman they were never able to develop like I think we all thought they would. I think I was even more surprised that they were pretty much cut from the team. As a fan I'm disappointed for the players but also how the coaches handled the situation.
C
Cougs_Rule
a1247 wrote:
I am disappointed how these two players turned out. Both were big time players coming out of high school. But due to injuries and IMO not red shirting them as freshman they were never able to develop like I think we all thought they would. I think I was even more surprised that they were pretty much cut from the team. As a fan I'm disappointed for the players but also how the coaches handled the situation.


I really don't think playing as a frosh hurt. Holt has been a heavy footed dude from the beginning. I can remember some being super excited about Holt based on his star rating out of HS. The dude just does not have. D1 speed as a TE and never had the hands. Not sure that is on the coaches. As for matriculating, its almost like the merciful thing to do. Move on, there is nothing here for them. Marcus' little/younger bro has virtually taken away his older brothers PT and position. What does that tell you?

Hey, they got a scholie, worked hard ame back from injuries, and most importantly took advantage of their time by getting a degree (presumably). It won't be the first time tey are shown the door. It happens. Now, "go my son, go into the mountain" and get a JOB or go to Grad school.
Advertisement
A
a1247
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I am disappointed how these two players turned out. Both were big time players coming out of high school. But due to injuries and IMO not red shirting them as freshman they were never able to develop like I think we all thought they would. I think I was even more surprised that they were pretty much cut from the team. As a fan I'm disappointed for the players but also how the coaches handled the situation.


I really don't think playing as a frosh hurt. Holt has been a heavy footed dude from the beginning. I can remember some being super excited about Holt based on his star rating out of HS. The dude just does not have. D1 speed as a TE and never had the hands. Not sure that is on the coaches. As for matriculating, its almost like the merciful thing to do. Move on, there is nothing here for them. Marcus' little/younger bro has virtually taken away his older brothers PT and position. What does that tell you?

Hey, they got a scholie, worked hard ame back from injuries, and most importantly took advantage of their time by getting a degree (presumably). It won't be the first time tey are shown the door. It happens. Now, "go my son, go into the mountain" and get a JOB or go to Grad school.




The only reason I was disappointed with them not redshirting was because they had 4 freshman tightends all at once with Holt, Wilson, Mahina and Friel all playing as freshman but none of them being able at first to distance themselves as the main tightend. Maybe, just maybe had a couple of them redshirted that first year things might have been diffrent. Hard to believe that of the four only Mahina is going to be around next year.
M
Mars


Wasn't the famous "best BYU scout team offense of all-time" made up of James Lark, Cody Hoffman, and Marcus Mathews?
C
Cougarbib
There has been a dearth of TEs and Receivers since 2010 and they could not earn PT with little competition. They were given an opportunity. Something similar happened with the basketball team. You cannot hold scholarships for players that are not contributing enough - even if injuries no fault of their own. We have had walkons contribute more and not have a scholarship. Would you continue to deny them a schollie because they were not as good in high school but hold a scholarship for someone that cannot meet expectations.



If fans want an elite team with 2 and 3 star athletes, you cannot further handicap coaches and expect them to tie up scholarships no longer being earned.



These two players could walk on if they still want to compete for PT.
M
Mars


The unfair question this always points towards: Why these guys, and why not (reckless examples below)...



Nate Carter

Andrew Crawford

Benson Manwaring

Logan Taele

Tanner Cox

Quinn Lawlor



etc.



I mean, Marcus Mathews has contributed this year more than fellow Junior Iona Pritchard, hasn't he? Both guys who shined in practice, were expected to excel, and didn't end up doing so to the level hoped for, for whatever reasons...
C
Cougs_Rule
Fair question. Must be more to the story. Maybe bc they have advanced academically to the point of graduation and to cut off the other young and the reckless would seem even more unfair?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Wasn't Benson Manwaring our deep snapper? Of those listed, I think he was actually a contributor. Our deep snapping hasn't been an issue the last few years.
H
HoosierCougar
Mars wrote:


Wasn't the famous "best BYU scout team offense of all-time" made up of James Lark, Cody Hoffman, and Marcus Mathews?


I thought it was Cody Hoffman, Mitch Matthews and Brad Sorensen.
G
Guest
I had heard that Holt graduated and BYU does not offer the graduate program he wants to / needs to take, so he essentially has to move on, or take a years worth of useless classes.
S
scott715
He could transfer and play a final year at a school with his grad program.
J
jonnylingo
Mars wrote:


The unfair question this always points towards: Why these guys, and why not (reckless examples below)...



Nate Carter

Andrew Crawford

Benson Manwaring

Logan Taele

Tanner Cox

Quinn Lawlor



etc.



I mean, Marcus Mathews has contributed this year more than fellow Junior Iona Pritchard, hasn't he? Both guys who shined in practice, were expected to excel, and didn't end up doing so to the level hoped for, for whatever reasons...


Is it because technically holt and mathews needed approval for an exception to keep being eligible? something to do with injuries? i have no idea. great question.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
This is what I understand.



Holt

Served a mission.



2010 played, lettered

2011 played, lettered

2012 played but got early season ending injury

2013 playing now



Holt got 4 years. If it were up to him, he would have BYU submit medical hardship paperwork to the NCAA to get yet another year. If BYU needed him, they would try to do that. BYU elected not to do that. Holt would like another year. This resembles the Mike Hague situation, except BYU fought for Hague and got him the extra year - thank goodness - we needed Hague this year.
C
Cougarbib
Marcus Matthews



Exactly the same years and situation as Holt.



Holt was a big-time recruit for sure. The knock on him way back then was lack of speed.
S
SenorCougar
Did anybody sense a strained relationship between Munns and Bronco? All other players got a Bronco hug, but he got a handshake, gave no smile, and spoke very few words. I sensed that perhaps there were hard feelings regardless of Bronco's comments. I wonder if Munn's not entering the game was his way of making his view visible...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Munns wasn't good, he wasn't going to play D1 ball anywhere; if he's mad at Bronco because of it, then he's projecting and should be mad at himself.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
Munns wasn't good, he wasn't going to play D1 ball anywhere; if he's mad at Bronco because of it, then he's projecting and should be mad at himself.


Someone moved his cheese, cougar tail, and offensive scheme. It's not good when your best look is with a headset on. Then again.......
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.