Archived Topic

I don't understand this (Notre Dame arrogance)

by Mars · 12/2/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars


I don't like Weis, but I do like Notre Dame. Really, what's not to like? Strong football tradition, both winning and stuff like Touchdown Jesus, and the commitment the administration and fans put into it all. And they do that with a strong RELIGIOUS and ACADEMIC background. They're no Alabama.



BUT...

THIS, I don't understand-




"Notre Dame also must decide whether it wants to go to a minor bowl game. Safety Kyle McCarthy, one of the captains, said team leaders will let Swarbrick know the players’ feelings later this week. “We’re not going to go play in a game if 10 guys want to play and 70 guys don’t. The only way we’re going to do it is if we’re full force ahead,” he said. “We’re going to talk to the team this week and decide.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-notredamesearch&prov=ap&type=lgns



They're 6-6 and they think they may be too good for a bowl game? Gag me with a spoon! :sick:
G
Guest
Going to ANY bowl game is a good way to ensure a losing season.
M
Mithrandir
What red-blooded kid doesn't want to play another football game? I would go if for no other reason than to get some of my younger players some reps. To say nothing of the additional paractice it allows your squad. I would use it as a winter camp and scrimmage.
B
blue42
especially with their crappy bowl record, why would they turn down a bowl game they might have a chance to win?
B
BerliNY
Mithrandir wrote:
What red-blooded kid doesn't want to play another football game? I would go if for no other reason than to get some of my younger players some reps. To say nothing of the additional paractice it allows your squad. I would use it as a winter camp and scrimmage.


Agreed. What is wrong with these guys. Nobody but the seniors know what it's like to win more than 7 games in a season and you think a bowl game is BENEATH you? What a joke.



You've got a lot going on that weekend cupcake? Your fat little girlfriend wants to spend more time with you ... in rural Indiana? You are getting your #$!@^& tuition paid to play football but you figure that only means you play in the games you feel up for? Give me a break. The only reason I'm not completely blown away by this behavior is because your #$!@^& quarterback rolled up to his "I'm committing to ND New Conference" at the college football hall of fame in a stretch Hummer Limousine where he announced he wanted to win multiple national titles with ND. Do you think maybe, just maybe, you've overestimated yourself just a little bit? Maybe, just maybe, you are not really god's gift to football? Or maybe, just maybe, this really is a good move on your part so that you never have to admit to your grandkids that you were on the ND team that got run off the Alamo-bowl field by Louisiana-Monroe? You just have to admit to yourself you gave up.



Knute Rockne just threw up a little in his mouth (may he rest in peace).
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Based on this attitude, I hope they get completely snubbed and no bowl even invites them. :evil: :evil: :evil:
J
jonnylingo
I saw this to and thought it was odd.
S
Schmoe
Wow, what a bunch of arrogant, spoiled babies. You are barely bowl eligible, and you expect a better bowl game just because your helmet is gold? Stupid.
C
CougarPeasant
I believe its not without precedence at ND. I don't remember how long it's been, but it is recent history where ND rejected a bowl bid because they felt it was beneath them. By that I think they meant they didn't play up to ND's standards and to go to a bowl game was an insult to ND's heritage.



I think it's honorable myself. Given the bar is now a 5-6 season record against FBS teams, provided you get a win over an FCS team too, really cheapens what earning a bowl bid means.
S
Schmoe
How is it "underneath them" if they only won six games? That makes absolutely no sense.
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
Schmoe wrote:
How is it "underneath them" if they only won six games? That makes absolutely no sense.

I think what he is saying is that ND may think that ND does not deserve to be in a bowl game.
C
CAFB_04-12
kiwibacon wrote:
How is it "underneath them" if they only won six games? That makes absolutely no sense.

I think what he is saying is that ND may think that ND does not deserve to be in a bowl game.

That makes sense. Besides, who's gonna coach 'em? I certainly wouldn't bother working very hard if I were Chuck Weiss.
S
Schmoe
Wouldn't that mean that they're beneath a bowl game and not the other way around?
U
UVACoug
Fine with me. If they don't think they deserve it, than why expect them to go play anyways. Give the money and gifts to someone else.
B
BroncoBot
UVACoug wrote:
Fine with me. If they don't think they deserve it, than why expect them to go play anyways. Give the money and gifts to someone else.


I also found it odd that they may decide to not play a bowl game.



ND football, meet rock bottom.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think they should go to the Boise Toilet Bowl, beat Nevada again, go 7-6, and have everyone talk about how they are set up for the BCS in 2010 since they have won 2 bowl games in a row. The kool aid surrounding that program must taste really good.
B
BYUby40
kiwibacon wrote:
How is it "underneath them" if they only won six games? That makes absolutely no sense.

I think what he is saying is that ND may think that ND does not deserve to be in a bowl game.


That was my thought as well. It would be taking the "high road" if that was the case. They may not want to get walloped again this year and have things even worse than they already are.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.