Archived Topic

BYU Lost to Wisc Before The First Snap

by snoscythe · 11/10/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I've been a rabid BYU fan since age 8. In the past 24 years, I've never left a game early, and never switched the television off before the end of the broadcast. That is, until yesterday.



This team showed no emotion, no fire, and no passion and played heartless football yesterday. When the coaches quit as well by punting with about 8 minutes to go, I quit as well and turned it off. I've never been as embarrassed to be a BYU fan as I was yesterday watching this team essentially forfeit the game. It didn't look like anyone wanted to be there, and it made me not even want to watch the game. Any loss is hard, but the lack of effort sets this one apart.



I'm not sure we win another road game this season if this is how this team travels.
W
Wolverine
I know this will sound like a borderline blasphemous idea, but maybe it is time to limit the traveling roadshow fireside to one road game a year. It can be a super special one time experience right there with the spirit, honor, and tradition jerseys. I understand the importance of such an event, the spiritual role athletics plays in the mission of the university, the missionary tool that the team is, etc. However, let's utilize such an event only when the opponent on the road is a hopelessly inferior and overmatched opponent ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
Wolverine wrote:
I know this will sound like a borderline blasphemous idea, but maybe it is time to limit the traveling roadshow fireside to one road game a year. It can be a super special one time experience right there with the spirit, honor, and tradition jerseys. I understand the importance of such an event, the spiritual role athletics plays in the mission of the university, the missionary tool that the team is, etc. However, let's utilize such an event only when the opponent on the road is a hopelessly inferior and overmatched opponent ;)


Why? To curb your supposed embarrassment that is so misplaced it defies all logic--since you don't attend the firesides and virtually know no one who does?



Or because you believe it takes away from game prep, mental prep?

Or because you think it makes them soft and lacadaisical?

Or because BYU has lost so much luster with a loss or losses that it seems heretical to you?

Or you don't value the ambassadorial outreach of BYU nor believe that seeing or believeing the other side of an athlete that can care more about football or your pathetic concerns about firesides?

Or because you are a troll Ute and just want to stir the pot?
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
I've been a rabid BYU fan since age 8. In the past 24 years, I've never left a game early, and never switched the television off before the end of the broadcast. That is, until yesterday.



This team showed no emotion, no fire, and no passion and played heartless football yesterday. When the coaches quit as well by punting with about 8 minutes to go, I quit as well and turned it off. I've never been as embarrassed to be a BYU fan as I was yesterday watching this team essentially forfeit the game. It didn't look like anyone wanted to be there, and it made me not even want to watch the game. Any loss is hard, but the lack of effort sets this one apart.



I'm not sure we win another road game this season if this is how this team travels.


Why don't you ask Spencer Hadley how he feels about his fire or emotion? He was flying around the ball on that second series as was KVN. Better yet, why don't you suit up next time against those corn-fed beefy, tough Olinemen or that stud LB. I agree that there seemed to be less heart and that the coaching decision to punt with eight minutes left practically demoralized this team, if not de-clawed these Cougars. At one point toward the end, Taysom had a look of incredulity on his face wondering what the freak was going on with the coaching decisions.

I dont know why this is so surprising to people. It was Broncos call. He had lost faith in the O and the play calling and felt HIS D was more likely to create a turnover, some points, or to make a play. I didn't agree, but I didn't see my offense getting the crap kicked out of them.

What's the probability that the O picks up the first down in that situation? Or that Anae makes a good call? Like, maybe, 15%? And what the Defense has maybe about that same percentage likelihood of creating a play? Yes, he seemed to become myopic, frozen or in plain denial or fantasy land that he could get the ball back and score enough times in the remaining time. That or he lost all faith in Anae and the O. It sure felt like the last two years, like why is the O so inept, heartless, etc?

Anyway, regardless, I'm not calling out your clearly established commitment to the Cougars. But I can think of several more heartless, bumbling games that the Cougars have played, even in Broncos era. They could have played better. No question. But the all or nothing thinking of "lack of effort" is a little unbecoming of them but also of fans feeling like that was effectively a heartless, nigh unto a gutless performance.
S
stgeorgefan
I will disagree that it was lost "before the first snap"



I would change it to "This game was lost after Wisconsin scored right before half time"



First drive of the game - WAKE UP CALL, Wisconsin is gonna play smash mouth football in cold weather on the turf!



Hadley goes down... Looking bad

Taysom Hill throws an INT... can our offense give TH time to throw?

Mahina goes down. Mathews goes down(after a very catchable deep ball)

Dis heartened Byu starts putting the nail in the coffin when: They go 3 and ot with around 2 minutes to go before half..( I was thinking "just go into half down 10-3")

Sure enough Wisconsin drive the entire field dominating physically and goes up 17-3 at half....GAME OVER

Once we lost our 3rd starter and were getting owned on the line of scrimmage I believe we lost confidence in our ability to win.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Right when anae kept rolling taysom out of the pocket in spite of Wisconson making the adjustment to spread their linebackers out to the flats and spy the outsides, (they stopped us driving deep in the redzone and we only got 3), I knew right then the game was over.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
stgeorgefan wrote:
I will disagree that it was lost "before the first snap"



I would change it to "This game was lost after Wisconsin scored right before half time"



First drive of the game - WAKE UP CALL, Wisconsin is gonna play smash mouth football in cold weather on the turf!



Hadley goes down... Looking bad

Taysom Hill throws an INT... can our offense give TH time to throw?

Mahina goes down. Mathews goes down(after a very catchable deep ball)

Dis heartened Byu starts putting the nail in the coffin when: They go 3 and ot with around 2 minutes to go before half..( I was thinking "just go into half down 10-3")

Sure enough Wisconsin drive the entire field dominating physically and goes up 17-3 at half....GAME OVER

Once we lost our 3rd starter and were getting owned on the line of scrimmage I believe we lost confidence in our ability to win.


Totally this!!!
C
Cougarbib
We lost it before the first snap but not for the reason given



Wisconsin is a better team

They rarely lose in November

They rarely lose at home

They never lose OOC at home in November

Home field

Huge raucous crowd

Refs

Loss of two starters during the bye week

Traveling across time zones

Jet lag

Wisconsin has better coaches

OL



Losing 3 more players to injury did not help - cemented the mismatch.



Mainly - better opponent depth of good players and slightly better coaching on a road trip across time zones.



I did not turn it off early. I watched it twice.



BYU is projected as #27 in BCS even with the loss - just about right
J
jonnylingo
Cougarbib wrote:
We lost it before the first snap but not for the reason given



Wisconsin is a better team

They rarely lose in November

They rarely lose at home

They never lose OOC at home in November

Home field

Huge raucous crowd

Refs

Loss of two starters during the bye week

Traveling across time zones

Jet lag

Wisconsin has better coaches

OL



Losing 3 more players to injury did not help - cemented the mismatch.



Mainly - better opponent depth of good players and slightly better coaching on a road trip across time zones.



I did not turn it off early. I watched it twice.



BYU is projected as #27 in BCS even with the loss - just about right


i have to agree with this. too beat up. too good of a team. anderson is better coach than anae. anae made adjustments but not enough. bronco was limited by personell. i am disappointed but not like some of us. i don't blame anyone for being disappointed though. it is simply a product of being a die hard fan and the fact that our offense has really looked good. i also think taysom looked more like utah taysom than the last five games taysom.
W
Wolverine
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I know this will sound like a borderline blasphemous idea, but maybe it is time to limit the traveling roadshow fireside to one road game a year. It can be a super special one time experience right there with the spirit, honor, and tradition jerseys. I understand the importance of such an event, the spiritual role athletics plays in the mission of the university, the missionary tool that the team is, etc. However, let's utilize such an event only when the opponent on the road is a hopelessly inferior and overmatched opponent ;)


Why? To curb your supposed embarrassment that is so misplaced it defies all logic--since you don't attend the firesides and virtually know no one who does?



Or because you believe it takes away from game prep, mental prep?

Or because you think it makes them soft and lacadaisical?

Or because BYU has lost so much luster with a loss or losses that it seems heretical to you?

Or you don't value the ambassadorial outreach of BYU nor believe that seeing or believeing the other side of an athlete that can care more about football or your pathetic concerns about firesides?

Or because you are a troll Ute and just want to stir the pot?


Since inquiring minds want to know and you lack some reading comprehension it appears ("I understand the importance of such an event..."). I must admit that I initially took some offense to the Ute troll option, but then I just chalked it up to your lack of maturity and perhaps your inner desire to "stir the pot" as you say. FYI..Proud BYU alum Class of 1986. Actually able to witness the NC run in person in '84. I digress so back to your question "why?" I actually think there might be something to the distraction of the mental preparation to the game when on the road. Do the positives of the fireside outweigh the negatives in the bigger scheme of life and beyond? Absolutely! Does the fireside the night before a game in a locale such as Madison, WI, Camp Randall Stadium and 80,000 plus, the Big Ten, etc. impact the mental preparation thus impacting to a degree of some sort performance? I really have no idea, but it might for some and might not for others. Just one of many things that I am sure that BM, the coaching staff, and TH take into consideration when evaluating the overall performance and state of the program.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
We also lost this game because WI installed a game plan we weren't prepared for. Their D switched between a 2-4-5 (take away Hoffman option) and throw in the 3-4-4 to stuff run. They had too many 3rd and long, poor 3rd down conversion rate, and missed blocking assignments. It took awhile for Anae to adjust and by then we had lost 2 WRs and run out of time.



On D, they really mixed the run and play option pass which confused the D and subsequent sound gap coverage. People were out of position during critical drives and they couldn't stop them when it counted (TD DRIVE before half and the 14 yard TD run by White to push their score to 27.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
I think Boise and our performance at home got people more excited about this game than was realistic.



We haven't beaten more than 1-2 top 20 teams on the road in the last 20 years... I don't know what we expected with such a young offense with a recent history of Oline trouble.
C
Cougs_Rule
Wolverine wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
I know this will sound like a borderline blasphemous idea, but maybe it is time to limit the traveling roadshow fireside to one road game a year. It can be a super special one time experience right there with the spirit, honor, and tradition jerseys. I understand the importance of such an event, the spiritual role athletics plays in the mission of the university, the missionary tool that the team is, etc. However, let's utilize such an event only when the opponent on the road is a hopelessly inferior and overmatched opponent ;)


Why? To curb your supposed embarrassment that is so misplaced it defies all logic--since you don't attend the firesides and virtually know no one who does?



Or because you believe it takes away from game prep, mental prep?

Or because you think it makes them soft and lacadaisical?

Or because BYU has lost so much luster with a loss or losses that it seems heretical to you?

Or you don't value the ambassadorial outreach of BYU nor believe that seeing or believeing the other side of an athlete that can care more about football or your pathetic concerns about firesides?

Or because you are a troll Ute and just want to stir the pot?


Since inquiring minds want to know and you lack some reading comprehension it appears ("I understand the importance of such an event..."). I must admit that I initially took some offense to the Ute troll option, but then I just chalked it up to your lack of maturity and perhaps your inner desire to "stir the pot" as you say. FYI..Proud BYU alum Class of 1986. Actually able to witness the NC run in person in '84. I digress so back to your question "why?" I actually think there might be something to the distraction of the mental preparation to the game when on the road. Do the positives of the fireside outweigh the negatives in the bigger scheme of life and beyond? Absolutely! Does the fireside the night before a game in a locale such as Madison, WI, Camp Randall Stadium and 80,000 plus, the Big Ten, etc. impact the mental preparation thus impacting to a degree of some sort performance? I really have no idea, but it might for some and might not for others. Just one of many things that I am sure that BM, the coaching staff, and TH take into consideration when evaluating the overall performance and state of the program.


BYU has much larger problems than whether or not a fireside distracts. What's the alternative, sitting in their hotel rooms watching ESPN? Listening to rap music in their headphones? Homework? C'mon, get a clue. THe good that can be done vs the infinitesimally small distraction that a fireside presents doesn't warrant any serious consideration. You're grasping at straws and barking up the wrong trees.

Sorry for the Ute troll comment, sort of. Your anti-spiritual, pot stirring seemed conspicuously close to religion bashing. We nor BYU would want to risk helping mitigate the ego-distending effects of college football pride and glory.
W
Wolverine
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I know this will sound like a borderline blasphemous idea, but maybe it is time to limit the traveling roadshow fireside to one road game a year. It can be a super special one time experience right there with the spirit, honor, and tradition jerseys. I understand the importance of such an event, the spiritual role athletics plays in the mission of the university, the missionary tool that the team is, etc. However, let's utilize such an event only when the opponent on the road is a hopelessly inferior and overmatched opponent ;)


Why? To curb your supposed embarrassment that is so misplaced it defies all logic--since you don't attend the firesides and virtually know no one who does?



Or because you believe it takes away from game prep, mental prep?

Or because you think it makes them soft and lacadaisical?

Or because BYU has lost so much luster with a loss or losses that it seems heretical to you?

Or you don't value the ambassadorial outreach of BYU nor believe that seeing or believeing the other side of an athlete that can care more about football or your pathetic concerns about firesides?

Or because you are a troll Ute and just want to stir the pot?


Since inquiring minds want to know and you lack some reading comprehension it appears ("I understand the importance of such an event..."). I must admit that I initially took some offense to the Ute troll option, but then I just chalked it up to your lack of maturity and perhaps your inner desire to "stir the pot" as you say. FYI..Proud BYU alum Class of 1986. Actually able to witness the NC run in person in '84. I digress so back to your question "why?" I actually think there might be something to the distraction of the mental preparation to the game when on the road. Do the positives of the fireside outweigh the negatives in the bigger scheme of life and beyond? Absolutely! Does the fireside the night before a game in a locale such as Madison, WI, Camp Randall Stadium and 80,000 plus, the Big Ten, etc. impact the mental preparation thus impacting to a degree of some sort performance? I really have no idea, but it might for some and might not for others. Just one of many things that I am sure that BM, the coaching staff, and TH take into consideration when evaluating the overall performance and state of the program.


BYU has much larger problems than whether or not a fireside distracts. What's the alternative, sitting in their hotel rooms watching ESPN? Listening to rap music in their headphones? Homework? C'mon, get a clue. THe good that can be done vs the infinitesimally small distraction that a fireside presents doesn't warrant any serious consideration. You're grasping at straws and barking up the wrong trees.

Sorry for the Ute troll comment, sort of. Your anti-spiritual, pot stirring seemed conspicuously close to religion bashing. We nor BYU would want to risk helping mitigate the ego-distending effects of college football pride and glory.


Thank you so much for the enlightened perspective. Because of you Bro. Cougs_Rule I have seen the errors in my thinking/posting and will not stray in having any such misguided thoughts in the future :roll: As of this very moment I am a better man and fan thanks to you. Apology accepted, sort of :roll:
B
Brayden Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8





LOUD NOISES!!!
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
snoscythe wrote:
I've been a rabid BYU fan since age 8. In the past 24 years, I've never left a game early, and never switched the television off before the end of the broadcast. That is, until yesterday.



This team showed no emotion, no fire, and no passion and played heartless football yesterday. When the coaches quit as well by punting with about 8 minutes to go, I quit as well and turned it off. I've never been as embarrassed to be a BYU fan as I was yesterday watching this team essentially forfeit the game. It didn't look like anyone wanted to be there, and it made me not even want to watch the game. Any loss is hard, but the lack of effort sets this one apart.



I'm not sure we win another road game this season if this is how this team travels.


I have to kinda agree. We played like we didn't belong. I am a huge Bronco fan, but I didn't like our attitude. I fast forwarded through a lot of the 4th.
B
Brayden Green
byufan4ever wrote:
I've been a rabid BYU fan since age 8. In the past 24 years, I've never left a game early, and never switched the television off before the end of the broadcast. That is, until yesterday.



This team showed no emotion, no fire, and no passion and played heartless football yesterday. When the coaches quit as well by punting with about 8 minutes to go, I quit as well and turned it off. I've never been as embarrassed to be a BYU fan as I was yesterday watching this team essentially forfeit the game. It didn't look like anyone wanted to be there, and it made me not even want to watch the game. Any loss is hard, but the lack of effort sets this one apart.



I'm not sure we win another road game this season if this is how this team travels.


I have to kinda agree. We played like we didn't belong. I am a huge Bronco fan, but I didn't like our attitude. I fast forwarded through a lot of the 4th.


We had a big game day party out in Cali. Once we punted that is when everyone went home. That is what it felt like to all of us. I am not a big Bronco fan. I am a fan, but his hiring skills and his overall responsibility for both sides of the field is going to be his undoing. At least he isn't being a jerk to the fans anymore.



I am not a Robert Anae fan, I wasn't 5 years ago, and I am not now. He can get as "fancy" and gimmicky as he wants, but that doesn't change the fact to me that he doesn't know how to call basic offensive plays that put his team in the best chance to win games against above .500 teams. Running the ball with a minute left, no timeouts, and only down 10 points was something that I have come to expect as the normal with his kind of playcalling. Sure, we scored a TD in the 4th. We needed 3, and it took us 9 minutes to get 1. Anderson is the better coach. Houston has a better coach. Almost all these schools we play have a better coach than us. I might be done with BYU football in the long haul if Robert Anae is part of BYUs long term plans. I'm already a lot less enthusiastic than I used to be, as far as saturday being a sacred day completely devoted to BYU football.



I just wish that Coach Rose knew anything about football. Although human, and makes mistakes (playing Zylstra at PG for example) he soon realizes those mistakes and goes away from them. I don't see that type of awareness from at least the offensive side of the ball.
F
frdbtr
Please stop quoting cougs rule, I have him on ignore and when you quote him it puts his stuff where I can see it.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Please stop quoting cougs rule, I have him on ignore and when you quote him it puts his stuff where I can see it.


Wait, is that "ignore" or "permanently ignore"???



:lol: :lol: :lol:
W
Wolverine
frdbtr wrote:
Please stop quoting cougs rule, I have him on ignore and when you quote him it puts his stuff where I can see it.

Mea culpa. I will do my best for the better interest of the CC boards. :)
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.