Archived Topic

Taysom Hill is no Jim McMahon

by frdbtr · 11/9/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
With 8 minutes left in the game and down by 3 scores Bronco decides to concede the game and punt. Hill dutifully runs to the sideline and capitulates. If we had had Jim McMahon, the offense would not have left the field and would have demanded a chance to try to pick up the 1st down and win the game. This is the first time since Bronco's first game against Boston College that I felt he quit on his team with time left in the game to try to win.
B
BroncoBot
With this o-line, it's hard to blame Hill. BYU had no shot at any point today.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
With this o-line, it's hard to blame Hill. BYU had no shot at any point today.


Our Oline is bad, but you still take your shot. When we punted we went from a small chance to no chance.
C
Cougs_Rule
No kidding Sherlock!!!!! What a stupid thread. Oh and guess what, Neither is Jim McMahan himself anymore.
C
Cougarbib
On that run, that backfired, he probably expected to surprise - move into decent FG position - kick. Got stuffed. Backfired.



Game and clock management is an area Bronco struggles with.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
McMahon was playing in a Bowl Game at the END of his junior year when he made that call. Hill is a Soph with 4 games left to go. I think Jim also likely had 10 or 11 wins going for him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jacksonman
frdbtr wrote:
With 8 minutes left in the game and down by 3 scores Bronco decides to concede the game and punt. Hill dutifully runs to the sideline and capitulates. If we had had Jim McMahon, the offense would not have left the field and would have demanded a chance to try to pick up the 1st down and win the game. This is the first time since Bronco's first game against Boston College that I felt he quit on his team with time left in the game to try to win.


For the first time, I think we agree almost 100%. Bronco by all appearances gave up on winning when he decided to punt. I don't blame Hill for taking orders but I wish he would have shown how upset he was with that decision and some fire to try to win.



I also couldn't believe the play calling throughout, but especially the run up the middle with 35 seconds left down by two touchdowns.



Bronco and Anae are decent coaches; but I can't stand their mentality and approach to the game. I don't see that winning mentality and attitude on the team for the most part, and it starts with the coaches. We saw it in the Utah game in several spots. Instead of giving ourselves a chance to win, albeit small, we elect to not take any chance to apparently lose with charity and to not lose by as much. It is getting really hard watching the coaches give up when there is still a chance!
F
frdbtr
jacksonman wrote:
With 8 minutes left in the game and down by 3 scores Bronco decides to concede the game and punt. Hill dutifully runs to the sideline and capitulates. If we had had Jim McMahon, the offense would not have left the field and would have demanded a chance to try to pick up the 1st down and win the game. This is the first time since Bronco's first game against Boston College that I felt he quit on his team with time left in the game to try to win.


For the first time, I think we agree almost 100%. Bronco by all appearances gave up on winning when he decided to punt. I don't blame Hill for taking orders but I wish he would have shown how upset he was with that decision and some fire to try to win.



I also couldn't believe the play calling throughout, but especially the run up the middle with 35 seconds left down by two touchdowns.



Bronco and Anae are decent coaches; but I can't stand their mentality and approach to the game. I don't see that winning mentality and attitude on the team for the most part, and it starts with the coaches. We saw it in the Utah game in several spots. Instead of giving ourselves a chance to win, albeit small, we elect to not take any chance to apparently lose with charity and to not lose by as much. It is getting really hard watching the coaches give up when there is still a chance!


That last drive was a scrimmage. They had no intention of doing anything but trying to get yards, that is why they ran at 35 seconds. If they were serious about scoring on that last drive, they wouldn't have let Wisconsin run the clock for a full 35 seconds on their last drive without calling time out and they would have taken more shots at the end zone. It was just standard offense with no extra aggressiveness on that last drive. They had conceded at 8 minutes, why hurry down by 2 scores with hardly any time left.
S
SenorCougar
Is Taysom Hill a captain? Was Ty Detmer a Jim McMahon? Was Steve Young a Jim McMahon? Just wondering.
B
BoiseBYU
frdbtr wrote:
With 8 minutes left in the game and down by 3 scores Bronco decides to concede the game and punt. Hill dutifully runs to the sideline and capitulates. If we had had Jim McMahon, the offense would not have left the field and would have demanded a chance to try to pick up the 1st down and win the game. This is the first time since Bronco's first game against Boston College that I felt he quit on his team with time left in the game to try to win.


?? With this line and WI's rush, Jimmy M would not have made it to the third Q. There's nothing too great in defying your coach
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.