Archived Topic

Stanford Prediction Thread

by Wolverine · 11/9/2013

Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Not much time for a turnaround from tonight's game as BYU heads to Stanford for Monday night game as part of ESPN 24 hour marathon. Great opportunity for exposure but tough having March resume game for your first road game. Currently watching Stanford vs Bucknell. The Cardinal have good size, are disciplined but don't appear to be super quick at guard line or super athletic overall. I think BYU will match up fine, but Mika and Austin will need to hold the paint. I say BYU wins 83-76. btw...Stanford leading Bucknell 50-49 with 12 minutes left.
C
craigoscarson
Wolverine wrote:
Not much time for a turnaround from tonight's game as BYU heads to Stanford for Monday night game as part of ESPN 24 hour marathon. Great opportunity for exposure but tough having March resume game for your first road game. Currently watching Stanford vs Bucknell. The Cardinal have good size, are disciplined but don't appear to be super quick at guard line or super athletic overall. I think BYU will match up fine, but Mika and Austin will need to hold the paint. I say BYU wins 83-76. btw...Stanford leading Bucknell 50-49 with 12 minutes left.


Stanford has some decent bigs and very average guards. I would be disappointed if we lost to them.
S
scott715
What time is the game? Is it late night?
W
Wolverine
scott715 wrote:
What time is the game? Is it late night?


9:00 p.m. Espn2
G
Gunk
Will be there in person with the Mrs and my posterity. Looking forward to a win. I like out tempo. I think we hold the line and win.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
Out tempo, that is a new one to me. We are going to run them out of the gym? I like it. Go Cougs. Do it and maybe we will get into the top 25.
Q
Qman
I am very concerned about our ability to rebound the ball/box out. Weber St got 10 offensive rebounds. Stanford is going to be much better equipped to take advantage of that.



Some of the poor rebounding was just because our defense just made stupid rotations a lot of the time.



The other problem is we need Carlino and Haws to be score 15-20 ppg each. Against a well coached team we'll need someone else to have a really big game.
C
Cougarbib
Stanford blew out a lower division team by nearly 30 in pre-season. Pretty normal.



They beat Bucknell in a close game.



They are picked about 6 of 12 in PAC.



As near as I can tell, we are 6-10 point dogs which apparently means odds makers think Bucknell is slightlt better than BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
BYU, 70-62.
M
mizzoucoug
Road game = L this early in the season. Stanford 76 BYU 69



I hope I'm wrong, this would be a good win imo.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Wish we had some seniors for a game like this on the road early. Having said that, given the middle of the PAC projection for Stanford, I am not sure hiw much of a crowd they draw. Tickets should be available and BYU fans should show up fairly well.



It is a short flight, although it does cross a time zone. The team flew Saturday night and acclimated Sunday and today.



So BYU does have a decent chance here.



I think Stanford wins a close game. Stanford 71. BYU 68.



Poor outside shooting is our downfall.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


BYU 2012: RPI 63, Sagarin predictor 49.

BYU 2013: Sagarin predictor 32.



Stanford 2012: RPI 77, Sagarin predictor 53.

Stanford 2013: Sagarin predictor 55.



Stanford favored by 5 points in Vegas: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
BYULV
Normally I would agree that outside shooting kills us, but we didn't rely on the outside shot vs weber. If we stay aggressive and drive I like our chances. I don't think the team will be intimidated. BYU wins by 10
B
beauso79
It appears we are 10 point dogs vs Stanford tonight........I hope MIka can grow up in a hurry. Worthington has a LONG ways to go although he has seemed like out best post defender so far
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Normally I would agree that outside shooting kills us, but we didn't rely on the outside shot vs weber. If we stay aggressive and drive I like our chances. I don't think the team will be intimidated. BYU wins by 10


We did not need to rely on the outside shot vs Weber State. Than goodness, because our outside shooting was terrible. Simply terrible to borrow something old and something new fron Blue. I mean 3s specifically.



But with Stanford - think trees. That metaphor fits their team. Trees and Tree Huggers. Their strength. Tall forest inside. Collapsing tree huggers surrounding.



That is why I am thinking BYU will need to kick it out and pop it.



But maybe Blue has me too worried about KCs atrocious ball handling skills and missionary dust And rust.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Q
Qman
KC's ball handling has looked better the more he has played.



We are going to need a huge effort on the boards. That means Mika and Austin need to stay out of foul trouble.
C
Cougarbib
If BYU is to win - Kyle is the key.



We need the expected, too, for sure:



Tyler Haws 20+ and great FT shooting, some boards and assists, and decent defense.

Matt Carlino 20 and no out of control, decent FT % - 75 or so, solid defense, a few boards, solid assists

BYU Trees - Neon Mika and Austin - solid defense - boards - blocks - take a few charges - Mika 10+ and Austin 7 points

Bench support that does not kill us



Yes. The expected.



Then THE UNEXPECTED



KC Double Double points and boards and 5 assists with a block or two, decent FT% - 75. Decent D.



That would win it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.