Archived Topic

Is the Stanford v Oregon game a sign of things to come?

by Cougs_Rule · 11/8/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Thru 3 quarters, the stingy Stanford D has totally shut down the mighty, 50 ppg Oregon Ducks. ZERO points. Offensive ineptness. Totally shut down. 160 total yards. Stanford is totally dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. THe Stanford Oline is just wearing down Oregons D. Mariotta, the Heisman contender looks impotent. Stanford RBs and running game are dominating and chipping away.

Stanford > Wisconsn. Oregon is > BYU. But GFGH offense is losing to power running game.

I hope it is not a sign of things to come.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Yeah, I am watching this one too. I haven't seen an implosion like this in awhile. Marcus Mariota looks just awful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
Wow... late in the game. Oregon has scored 13 4th quarter points. Oregon blocked a field goal and returned it for the TD.



Now they recover the onside kick
U
Ungoy
Oregon sucking it up inside the 5 yard line. Fumbles two straight plays.
U
Ungoy
Oregon's trying to make a game of it. TD on 4th and goal from the 11.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Well, now that Oregon's not going to the NC game, that makes a bowl game for Utah all the more unlikely.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Well that was interesting. It's like Oregon started playing with about 7 minutes left. Give them another minute or so and the ducks would have pulled off one crazy upset.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I think it is a sign...that a PAC team won't play in the MNC this year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
I think it is a sign...that a PAC team won't play in the MNC this year.


Lol. Good one. No PAC in the NC and Utah gets left out. :~( NOT!!!! :lol:



But point being, Stanford and Wisc play a very similar style of play.
U
Ungoy
I think Oregon's biggest problem is hubris. They got complacent and bought into the hype that they were unbeatable. They didn't start rally passing until the game was to far out of reach.



This years BYU team does not have this issue.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
I prefer to think the Baylor/Oklahoma game is a sign of things to come.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
1967cougar wrote:
I prefer to think the Baylor/Oklahoma game is a sign of things to come.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Good point! Running team loads up the box on passing team. Passing team burns them over the top.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
Yeah, I am watching this one too. I haven't seen an implosion like this in awhile. Marcus Mariota looks just awful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That game was crazy. If Stanford had did what they did the first 54 minutes for all 60 minutes that would have been one of the most embarrasing losses I've ever seen. How often do you see a top 5 team getting beat down so badly that their players are crying on the sideline in the 3rd quarter? It was like watching men among boys the way they just pushed Oregon around and it made me a little quesy about tomorrow.



Please, please, please give us the Baylor/OU game and not the OU/Stanford game!
J
jonnylingo
As good as Oregon is, i don't see them winning a national title.
S
Stirfry
jonnylingo wrote:
As good as Oregon is, i don't see them winning a national title.


I'm really torn on the result of last night. On one hand it gives tOSU a much better shot at the NC game :sick: . On the other, maybe it avoided an Alabama/Oregon NC game where Alabama would do that to them :) . On the other hand (yes that's my 3rd hand) it keeps the PAC out of the NC game :P .



I did like the long discussion about how Stanfords loss to Utah was soooo bad that they couldn't over come it because no one should be loosing to a team like Utah. :P (Crap, we lost to them too :sick: )



I don't see how it hurts Utah's bowl chances. There's basically so many bowls that any team with a 6-6 record gets an invite somewhere. Didn't a 5-6 UCLA team go to a bowl a few years ago because there weren't any .500 teams left?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Yes, but I think they put an asterisk by bowl games where a team comes in with a losing record. I forget if it was UCLA or someone else or if it happened more than once or the circumstance that got them in with an asterisk - but, I vaguely remember someone being 6-6 heading into a conference championship game they never should have been in except for USC or someone being ineligible, and losing that game and getting a bowl game at 6-7. I cannot recall whether they won or lost.



I also recall a bowl eligible ND team turning down bowl offers one year because they did not feel that they deserved one at 6-5.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Yzzazz
Ungoy wrote:
I think Oregon's biggest problem is hubris. They got complacent and bought into the hype that they were unbeatable. They didn't start rally passing until the game was to far out of reach....


While I totally agree that the Oregon team was pretty full of themselves, I don't think that was their core problem here. Stanford beat them last year too. Oregon players were quoted as saying they simply did play hard enough. Two years in a row? Don't think so.



I think it is a system issue and I think the implications are big for BYU.



#1. Stanford wore down at the end. The Ducks actually almost had a chance to win! This points out the power of the high-tempo spread offense.



Implication for BYU: if cougs keep it close with the badgers, they can win it in the end (see Houston game).



#2. A strong pass defense is the chinck in the armor for the up-tempo spread. If an offense backs away from passing attempts just by a few percentage points, or fails to maintain a better than 50% completion rate) then it allows the defense to concentrate resources towards stuff the run. Stanford did this. Two short-yardage plays means a lot of third-and-longs, and that means low productivity on offense. Stanford got the Oregon QB out of his rhythm and the runners were simply unable to gain ground because the Cardinal front seven were ready for them.



Implication for BYU: Wisconsin will SURELY try this and with the size and speed they have on defense have a high probability of succeeding. Passing effectively and scoring in the first quarter will seriously blunt the effectiveness of this approach and get the UW defensive coordinator guessing. Hill cannot be expected to carry the team on his running alone. If he tries to do this the offense will collapse (see Utah game).
C
Cougarbib
UCLA was 6-7 Vs Illinois at 6-6 going into the 2011 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.



Illinois won, 20-14, leaving Southern Division PAC Champ UCLA at 6-8.



This was the Division Championship Utah missed out on by losing to Colorado.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I think UCLA got a NCAA waiver before the championship game. Otherwise, I think they would have not played the game to stay at 6-6 and bowl eligible.
C
Cougs_Rule
Pretenders vs contenders. This thread was spot on if I don't say so myself. Except the delta between O and BYU isq much greater than W and S. but W is ALOT like Stanford. It would be a boring, D-mnded Rose bowl to watch, but it would be a good contest. Wisc is the first underrated BCS team in a long time. Barely lost to OSU n the road and got hosed on road w PAC-o-crap refs vs ASU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.