Archived Topic

Poinsettia Bowl Agreement

by scott715 · 11/6/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
BYU has accepted an invitation to play in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl following the 2016 and 2018 regular seasons.



Per Facebook release. And confirmed at BYUcougar.com
K
KYCoug
This seems a bit strange to me. We need to be upgrading our bowl alignments. A low tier, low payout agreement to play a MWC conference team looks like a step backward or at minimum the status quo when we should be looking to upgrade. I'm sure we will sell it out and there is tradition with the MWC but that's history not future. I know we don't know what other options were being discussed but I'm scratching my head on this one.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
S
snoscythe
KYCoug wrote:
This seems a bit strange to me. We need to be upgrading our bowl alignments. A low tier, low payout agreement to play a MWC conference team looks like a step backward or at minimum the status quo when we should be looking to upgrade. I'm sure we will sell it out and there is tradition with the MWC but that's history not future. I know we don't know what other options were being discussed but I'm scratching my head on this one.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY


I don't think there's a lot of demand for BYU outside of the mid- to low-tier bowls in California. Signing an agreement with BYU locks you in to just one school, whereas an agreement with a conference will generally leave you with choices closer to the actual game.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
KYCoug wrote:
This seems a bit strange to me. We need to be upgrading our bowl alignments. A low tier, low payout agreement to play a MWC conference team looks like a step backward or at minimum the status quo when we should be looking to upgrade. I'm sure we will sell it out and there is tradition with the MWC but that's history not future. I know we don't know what other options were being discussed but I'm scratching my head on this one.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY

I think that you call this the "bird inthe hand" for 2 of the next 5 years. Not a bad move at all. Not spectacular, but it is nice going into a year knowing where our Bowl game will be. How many of us already have our bowl tickets this year because we know in sufficient time in advance that we'll be going there?
C
craigoscarson
ABYUFAN wrote:
This seems a bit strange to me. We need to be upgrading our bowl alignments. A low tier, low payout agreement to play a MWC conference team looks like a step backward or at minimum the status quo when we should be looking to upgrade. I'm sure we will sell it out and there is tradition with the MWC but that's history not future. I know we don't know what other options were being discussed but I'm scratching my head on this one.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY

I think that you call this the "bird inthe hand" for 2 of the next 5 years. Not a bad move at all. Not spectacular, but it is nice going into a year knowing where our Bowl game will be. How many of us already have our bowl tickets this year because we know in sufficient time in advance that we'll be going there?


Big advantage to not only the BYU fans but to BYU administration too. We're basically giving ourselves a home field advantage. I'm not sure if they intended for it to happen, but it has evolved that way. In fact if you buy your tickets now for the FHB, they guarantee you 1st dibs on your same seats or better next year at the new 49ers ballpark. If you get good enough tickets, that's worth it's weight in gold because you have good seats this year, priority for next year and even if you don't go, you can purchase those priority tickets and find other takers for them. BYU fans are getting to make very early travel and hotel arrangements, which likely will help BYU have an overwhelmingly proBYU crowd.


** Priority in 2014 at Levi's Stadium **



All buyers who purchase tickets before November 15th will be given special access to purchase comparable or upgraded seats to the 2014 Bowl game at Levi's Stadium, prior to the general public.
Y
Yzzazz
The thing about any of these bowl deals is that they have BCS out clauses, so in effect, it almost doesn't matter what bowl we go to. Now you could say, yes it DOES matter, look at the gator bowl, it's payout is lots bigger, or even the Holiday bowl, etc. Thing is we aren't getting into those bowls if we don't draw bigger than the other teams they can choose from, so the terms of those bowls will be less favorable, and, unless BYU draws the majority of the tickets, may actually cost more money than we make. I seem to recall that we lost money on the liberty bowl years back.



In a few years, Bronco will have us in the BCS tournaments as a regular, so who cares what the underlying bowl alignment is!!? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
S
stgeorgefan
I'm not a fan of the bowl pay out or the MWC team we'd play. The location is great and locking in a bowl is good but I agree with Kycoug, this is staying put not moving forward. Fight Hunger bowl pay more. Poinsettia bowl is one of the bottom paying bowls playing non bcs team. At least get us a chance at a Bcs conference team.
K
KYCoug
Yzzazz wrote:
The thing about any of these bowl deals is that they have BCS out clauses, so in effect, it almost doesn't matter what bowl we go to. Now you could say, yes it DOES matter, look at the gator bowl, it's payout is lots bigger, or even the Holiday bowl, etc. Thing is we aren't getting into those bowls if we don't draw bigger than the other teams they can choose from, so the terms of those bowls will be less favorable, and, unless BYU draws the majority of the tickets, may actually cost more money than we make. I seem to recall that we lost money on the liberty bowl years back.



In a few years, Bronco will have us in the BCS tournaments as a regular, so who cares what the underlying bowl alignment is!!? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:


We sell out the Poinsettia Bowl and you're worried about us selling out the Holiday Bowl? I understand the Liberty Bowl, I was there and can't remember when I've ever been colder. Some Bowl locations just shouldn't happen. You'd think our reputation about traveling well would help out attracting some of the bigger mid level bowl's. I agree though after Bronco puts us into a couple of Championship Bowls our bowl profile will change.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
We are who we are. Cinderella. As long as we do not forget that, we will be fine. Things could be worse. We got Utep in 2010 iirc.



Tulsa gave us a good game in 2011. A very good 8-4 Tulsa team that we made 8-5. They played a killer schedule. SDSU gave us all we could handle in 2012. 2013 gets us PAC #6. That will be a good team. Probably give us all, if not more than, we can handle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:
This seems a bit strange to me. We need to be upgrading our bowl alignments. A low tier, low payout agreement to play a MWC conference team looks like a step backward or at minimum the status quo when we should be looking to upgrade. I'm sure we will sell it out and there is tradition with the MWC but that's history not future. I know we don't know what other options were being discussed but I'm scratching my head on this one.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY


I don't think there's a lot of demand for BYU outside of the mid- to low-tier bowls in California. Signing an agreement with BYU locks you in to just one school, whereas an agreement with a conference will generally leave you with choices closer to the actual game.


This.



You have to remember this is a business. I'd be hard pressed to be one of the higher tiered bowls and sign an agreement with BYU. The bowls BYU is lining up are the ones that actually benefit from BYU being there. It's not to say that one of the others couldn't have a successful venture in locking BYU for a year if they qualify, but it's not like there are other options.



What would be nice is to get some bowls to make some agreements that if BYU were in the top #15 or something, that they would take over a position of some conference, but what conference is going to sign into that deal. Conferences have more pull collectively than does BYU. It just is what it is. It's NC playoff or "also-ran" bowls.



I think TH has done an exceptional job in getting us what he has gotten.

:~(
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.