Archived Topic

"It just took him changing schools."

by frdbtr · 11/5/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Does this leave any doubt in anyone's mind that kwhit is the reason the rivalry has become so nasty? IMO, this statement by Bronco confirms that in my mind.



For those of you who haven't heard the Bronco interview, he was asked what his relationship with Gary Andersen is and he said that as soon as he left utah their relationship became more normal, more open. "it just took him changing schools".
K
KingCoug
It actually became nasty in the 1990's when Utah (under Ron McBride) started winning some rivalry games again. But it was at a comparatively low level, as the Yewt fans at the time (a good portion of which were more BYU haters) began to see life in their team again.



From there, the nastiness steadily increased as it became a real rivalry again, until Urban Meyer took over. People blame him for turning it really nasty. There is probably some truth to that but I think it was more a case of Utah's success under him bringing out the worst in the Yewt fan base. Now the BYU haters actually had some ammo against us. Not to mention the Yewt fan base would grow in size by at least a factor of 2 over the next 10 years with all the bandwagon fans jumping on because of the 2004 and 2008 BCS wins.



Under Kyle Whittingham, the nastiness has remained as high as ever. The guy sold his soul and has no problem seeing his alma mater as the enemy. For all his talk about the PAC 10.2, he still wants to beat us more than anyone else. And, unfortunately, that has shown on the field. A big reason why Bronco is 3-6 against Kyle is because the latter simply cares more about winning the Holy War.



That said, I hope the Yewts continue to lose in the PAC 10.2 under Whittingham, he eventually gets fired, blows all his money in some multi-level marketing scam, and his wife and daughters have to turn tricks just to make ends meet. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! :D
C
Cougs_Rule
That was a striking comment. And rather a big slam against Kyle and sort of against Gary, if he chooses to react to it that way. It has a certain smugness to it frankly, that yells, "what the crap was wrong with you then Gary." Or "you didn't need to be such a victim to that tyrant Kyle and this bitter rivalry, we could have been buds then."



The slam is just the next big thing to fuel the rivalry fire. The local radio stations picked up on it and had a hay day with it.



As much as I want to feed this fire and be my reactive, Ute hating self, and totally buy into this statement, there is an old saying, "It takes two to tango."

Wait, ok, I will bite...... Kyle has no honor. He has turned on BYU and it started with his father being rejected and cast out by BYU, who then turned his heart to anger and Kyle has never forgiven BYU and turned his heart to hate as well. Why BYU ever went after him first is beyond me!! Maybe to heal the rift? Who knows. But that also has to tick off Bronco, knowing he was second choice and the first choice is sitting on the Hill from hell. Doesn't help with all lopsided losing record and all the flack Bronco has to take for that, but I think the hate existed before that. MAx was just the voice to the inner hate that most of the team, fans, and I would say Bronco feels. I'm glad the rivalry is going away for awhile. Hopefully Utah can get a clue (fat chance) and realize that BYU isnt their most important win--but hten again maybe they keep up their losing Pac-o-crap ways and Kryle gets outsted. Maybe Bronco would treat the incoming coach with respect and at least try to respect that coach unlike Kyle. Tis comment does make me wonder if Kyle did or said something very emotional and impulsive to Bronco early on. Or if this is just the manifestation of to rivalry coaches.
S
snoscythe
I spent some time in the same ward as Whitt's mother, and I can tell you that she absolutely despises "Bishop Bronco." There's a feeling there that Bronco goes out of his way to make Kyle look like an amoral coach. I think it's just sour grapes.
M
Mingjai
KingCoug wrote:
It actually became nasty in the 1990's when Utah (under Ron McBride) started winning some rivalry games again. But it was at a comparatively low level, as the Yewt fans at the time (a good portion of which were more BYU haters) began to see life in their team again.



From there, the nastiness steadily increased as it became a real rivalry again, until Urban Meyer took over. People blame him for turning it really nasty. There is probably some truth to that but I think it was more a case of Utah's success under him bringing out the worst in the Yewt fan base. Now the BYU haters actually had some ammo against us. Not to mention the Yewt fan base would grow in size by at least a factor of 2 over the next 10 years with all the bandwagon fans jumping on because of the 2004 and 2008 BCS wins.



Under Kyle Whittingham, the nastiness has remained as high as ever. The guy sold his soul and has no problem seeing his alma mater as the enemy. For all his talk about the PAC 10.2, he still wants to beat us more than anyone else. And, unfortunately, that has shown on the field. A big reason why Bronco is 3-6 against Kyle is because the latter simply cares more about winning the Holy War.



That said, I hope the Yewts continue to lose in the PAC 10.2 under Whittingham, he eventually gets fired, blows all his money in some multi-level marketing scam, and his wife and daughters have to turn tricks just to make ends meet. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! :D


I have the same take as you on Urban Meyer--he's one of those guys that tries to get under the other side's skin by stirring up the pot a little. He's doing the same thing at OSU, restoring Woody Hayes's way of referencing Michigan as "that team up north." The problem is that the BYU-Utah rivalry is more than two old state schools duking it out--the rivalry has a deep-seed religious and cultural components, so the Utah fandom really took to Meyer's fanning the flames. It's probably no coincidence that Coach Mendenhall seems to have developed a decent relationship with Coach Meyer since he changed schools.



Kyle Whittingham is different--he is a former BYU guy, and former insiders who have left the circle tend to be the nastiest. While Urban Meyer's dislike for BYU always seemed to fall on the side of "it's strictly business," Kyle Whittingham's dislike for BYU seems to be personal. Apparently, it's more than just his job to dislike BYU, and the Utah fans sense that and feed off that vibe.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
You would think that a former BYU player would show respect to his alma mater and ask that his fans respect them as well. It hasn't happened under kwhit, in fact the nastiness of the rivalry has escalated to levels not seen before. If kwhit isn't the architect of that nastiness then he certainly isn't discouraging it. IMO, he looks like he fans the flames at every opportunity but that is just me.
S
stgeorgefan
frdbtr wrote:
. If kwhit isn't the architect of that nastiness then he certainly isn't discouraging it.


I believe Urban was the architect. Urban flipped the script on Byu and now Utah dominates Byu. K-Witt isn't stupid, if it aint broke don't fix it.



I'm sure as Byu fans we'd love for Kyle to tone it down and respect his former school. That to me is a recipe for Kyle to get fired. If your a Ute fan or Ute admin. you want to keep the edge vs Byu.



This whole topic is blown way out of proportion. OF COURSE his relationship with Gary is gonna be strained if he works for the U. Do we all believe that Utah is just another school?

I don't think Gary Anderson is the least bit upset or offended by Bronco's comments. He probably agrees. They worked for rival schools DUH!!!
Y
Yzzazz
snoscythe wrote:
I spent some time in the same ward as Whitt's mother, and I can tell you that she absolutely despises "Bishop Bronco." There's a feeling there that Bronco goes out of his way to make Kyle look like an amoral coach. I think it's just sour grapes.


Hilarious! Sour grapes because Bronco took the job her son turned down for more money? That sounds totally believable to me.



I don't know Kwhit or any of his family, but the one thing I have heard leads me to believe he is classless, to wit, if a recruit chooses BYU over Utah, Kyle has a standard kind of response that includes bitter versions of, "you'll never succeed down there, you'll never be happy down there, you've made a big mistake and you'll regret it," etc.



I'm always amazed when people behave like that. As if such a diatribe would suddenly change someone's mind.



This I have heard from two athletes who experienced it for themselves.



All that said, I begrudgingly admit that he continues to outcoach Bronco most of the time in rivalry games. I anxiously await the next BYU blowout of Utah.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
I spent some time in the same ward as Whitt's mother, and I can tell you that she absolutely despises "Bishop Bronco." There's a feeling there that Bronco goes out of his way to make Kyle look like an amoral coach. I think it's just sour grapes.


Kyle isn't amoral?
N
NDCougar
stgeorgefan wrote:
. If kwhit isn't the architect of that nastiness then he certainly isn't discouraging it.


I believe Urban was the architect. Urban flipped the script on Byu and now Utah dominates Byu. K-Witt isn't stupid, if it aint broke don't fix it.



I'm sure as Byu fans we'd love for Kyle to tone it down and respect his former school. That to me is a recipe for Kyle to get fired. If your a Ute fan or Ute admin. you want to keep the edge vs Byu.



This whole topic is blown way out of proportion. OF COURSE his relationship with Gary is gonna be strained if he works for the U. Do we all believe that Utah is just another school?

I don't think Gary Anderson is the least bit upset or offended by Bronco's comments. He probably agrees. They worked for rival schools DUH!!!




Bingo
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.
N
NDCougar
frdbtr wrote:
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.




Maybe I am missing something, what respect should Whitt show? Who pays his bills? What fan base is he paid to please? Who does he recruit against daily? Who is his employers biggest rival?



I am missing what he has done that is so horrible and disrespectful? Has he lied, cheated, deceived or hurt anyone? Is it possible he is the Utah coach and we will never like him and everything he says is annoying? To me that is the case, but I am not willing to assume things nor make things up about his family.



So his family makes a few jokes in poor taste, were they hurtful to your family, the church, BYU or were they just dumb inappropriate jokes? I would say the did what they were intended to do, they got some laughs and got BYU fans upset.



Changing schools changes everything. If Saban goes to Texas it changes his relationship with SEC schools, just like when he left MSU it changed his Michigan relationship. I think people are reading into things.....for WI BYU is not a real threat, they don't play every year, the fan bases don't dislike each other, outside of a rare recruit they don't go head to head in recruiting and in general BYU means nothing to WI......vs your biggest rival, your biggest competitor for recruits, the fan bases dislike eachother, and the schools are 1.5 hours apart....uh I would say changing schools impacts the relationship and current back drop in a relationship.
A
ABYUFAN
frdbtr wrote:
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.

Well for Crier, there is that whole urinal thing...
F
frdbtr
I guess just because you coach for a rival school it is ok to be an ass towards them, kind of like Lavell, oh yeah he respected everyone including Utah. You are right, I most likely will dislike anyone who coaches at the u and I will root for them to lose, but kwhit is a special case because he played and attended BYU so I figure he should have a different attitude than other asses that have coached there. To his credit, he is the biggest ass of them all so maybe I expect too much from him.
S
Schmoe
NDCougar wrote:
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.




Maybe I am missing something, what respect should Whitt show? Who pays his bills? What fan base is he paid to please? Who does he recruit against daily? Who is his employers biggest rival?



I am missing what he has done that is so horrible and disrespectful? Has he lied, cheated, deceived or hurt anyone? Is it possible he is the Utah coach and we will never like him and everything he says is annoying? To me that is the case, but I am not willing to assume things nor make things up about his family.



So his family makes a few jokes in poor taste, were they hurtful to your family, the church, BYU or were they just dumb inappropriate jokes? I would say the did what they were intended to do, they got some laughs and got BYU fans upset.



Changing schools changes everything. If Saban goes to Texas it changes his relationship with SEC schools, just like when he left MSU it changed his Michigan relationship. I think people are reading into things.....for WI BYU is not a real threat, they don't play every year, the fan bases don't dislike each other, outside of a rare recruit they don't go head to head in recruiting and in general BYU means nothing to WI......vs your biggest rival, your biggest competitor for recruits, the fan bases dislike eachother, and the schools are 1.5 hours apart....uh I would say changing schools impacts the relationship and current back drop in a relationship.


You're right, having his daughter dress up as a pregnant BYU cheerleader and his wife and sons assaulting and robbing BYU fans after a rivalry game is in no way disrespectful, negative, low-class, fueling the rivalry to an unhealthy level, or a reflection on how the Whittingham's view and treat BYU. Not at all.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
This thread seems to be just as guilty of stoking the flames as Kwhitt's daughter supposedly dressing up as a pregnant BYU cheerleader. There are married cheerleaders and I am willing to bet some of them have gotten pregnant.



Seriously, we talk about Utes and kwhitt having no class and then make reference to their posterity turning tricks?



Glad I don't live in Utah and have to constantly listen to this stuff. It's football! It's a game and you taking offense is doing just as much harm to the rivalry as the Ute's classlessness (that's a lot is s's).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
Schmoe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.




Maybe I am missing something, what respect should Whitt show? Who pays his bills? What fan base is he paid to please? Who does he recruit against daily? Who is his employers biggest rival?



I am missing what he has done that is so horrible and disrespectful? Has he lied, cheated, deceived or hurt anyone? Is it possible he is the Utah coach and we will never like him and everything he says is annoying? To me that is the case, but I am not willing to assume things nor make things up about his family.



So his family makes a few jokes in poor taste, were they hurtful to your family, the church, BYU or were they just dumb inappropriate jokes? I would say the did what they were intended to do, they got some laughs and got BYU fans upset.



Changing schools changes everything. If Saban goes to Texas it changes his relationship with SEC schools, just like when he left MSU it changed his Michigan relationship. I think people are reading into things.....for WI BYU is not a real threat, they don't play every year, the fan bases don't dislike each other, outside of a rare recruit they don't go head to head in recruiting and in general BYU means nothing to WI......vs your biggest rival, your biggest competitor for recruits, the fan bases dislike eachother, and the schools are 1.5 hours apart....uh I would say changing schools impacts the relationship and current back drop in a relationship.


You're right, having his daughter dress up as a pregnant BYU cheerleader and his wife and sons assaulting and robbing BYU fans after a rivalry game is in no way disrespectful, negative, low-class, fueling the rivalry to an unhealthy level, or a reflection on how the Whittingham's view and treat BYU. Not at all.


Assaulting fans? Robbing fans? I had not heard that, I assume they were arrested?



Already acknowledged inappropriate jokes are stupid. Not sure why you worry about it, poor taste but I highly doubt Whitt thought of it and encouraged it, I assume you expect him to personally chastise them.



This whole thread is stupid, not sure why everyone is so captivated with a coach who has owned us that we won't play for years. How about discussing a relevant topic. I should never have chimed it but could not stop myself after reading so many assumptions and silly comments.
N
NDCougar
Gunk wrote:

Glad I don't live in Utah and have to constantly listen to this stuff. It's football! It's a game and you taking offense is doing just as much harm to the rivalry as the Ute's classlessness (that's a lot is s's).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Amen! I am glad I live somewhere where people don't know the Utes and don't know Whitt.
N
nickdutson
NDCougar wrote:
NDCougar wrote:
Isn't it funny how Bronco, who never played at BYU or utah shows more respect for utah than the coach at utah who played at BYU shows his own alma mater? I agree that it is a rivalry but that is still no reason to openly disrespect a school in public. the "team down south" thing meant nothing to me. Frankly, I thought urban meyer other than his "team down south" thing, showed more respect for BYU than kwhit does.




Maybe I am missing something, what respect should Whitt show? Who pays his bills? What fan base is he paid to please? Who does he recruit against daily? Who is his employers biggest rival?



I am missing what he has done that is so horrible and disrespectful? Has he lied, cheated, deceived or hurt anyone? Is it possible he is the Utah coach and we will never like him and everything he says is annoying? To me that is the case, but I am not willing to assume things nor make things up about his family.



So his family makes a few jokes in poor taste, were they hurtful to your family, the church, BYU or were they just dumb inappropriate jokes? I would say the did what they were intended to do, they got some laughs and got BYU fans upset.



Changing schools changes everything. If Saban goes to Texas it changes his relationship with SEC schools, just like when he left MSU it changed his Michigan relationship. I think people are reading into things.....for WI BYU is not a real threat, they don't play every year, the fan bases don't dislike each other, outside of a rare recruit they don't go head to head in recruiting and in general BYU means nothing to WI......vs your biggest rival, your biggest competitor for recruits, the fan bases dislike eachother, and the schools are 1.5 hours apart....uh I would say changing schools impacts the relationship and current back drop in a relationship.


You're right, having his daughter dress up as a pregnant BYU cheerleader and his wife and sons assaulting and robbing BYU fans after a rivalry game is in no way disrespectful, negative, low-class, fueling the rivalry to an unhealthy level, or a reflection on how the Whittingham's view and treat BYU. Not at all.


Assaulting fans? Robbing fans? I had not heard that, I assume they were arrested?



Already acknowledged inappropriate jokes are stupid. Not sure why you worry about it, poor taste but I highly doubt Whitt thought of it and encouraged it, I assume you expect him to personally chastise them.



This whole thread is stupid, not sure why everyone is so captivated with a coach who has owned us that we won't play for years. How about discussing a relevant topic. I should never have chimed it but could not stop myself after reading so many assumptions and silly comments.

+1



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
NDCougar wrote:

Glad I don't live in Utah and have to constantly listen to this stuff. It's football! It's a game and you taking offense is doing just as much harm to the rivalry as the Ute's classlessness (that's a lot is s's).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Amen! I am glad I live somewhere where people don't know the Utes and don't know Whitt.


I totally agree with both of your sentiments on this topic but it's not a living in Utah thing. It's more of a living on a chat board thing so you're both in trouble :crazy: :evil:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.