Archived Topic

With Falslev out for 3 weeks who returns punts?

by blue42 · 11/5/2013

Advertisement
B
blue42
I think this is a pretty big hit to BYU's special teams. With Falslev breaking his hand and having surgery who fills in for him? Will it be Hine? I also think this hurts the offense as he has been used as a hot route dump off a lot the past few games.
B
blue42
Just saw a tweet by Jay Drew saying possibly Hoffman or Ridley. Interesting, it takes a different mind set to return punts, perhaps they just want someone with sure hands to fair catch the ball.
C
Cougarbib
Imho, BYU should look into the future and envision who will be returning punts in 2014 and put him in now. Wasn't there some speedy young buck they thought about moving from WR to CB?



We do need sure hands. No fumbles catching it or running it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
The freshman Davis is a possibility. Fast dude and he has played D this year.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Part of me is wondering if someone like Dallin Leavitt will get it, but my guess is Hine. Agreed that we should consider the future here. Who on the team is the fastest these days? I have no idea.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
Part of me is wondering if someone like Dallin Leavitt will get it, but my guess is Hine. Agreed that we should consider the future here. Who on the team is the fastest these days? I have no idea.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Probably Taysom Hill. Riley would do it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Someone that knows how to wave their hands in the air?



I love JD, but it isn't a huge hit to the special teams. It is a huge hit to our offense, though. JD was the only one consistently catching the ball and getting open for a few games there. Hopefully Apo and Ridley actually have been improving and making effort, otherwise we might be in for a long stretch of bad receiver play with Wisconsin, in particular.
S
Schmoe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Someone that knows how to wave their hands in the air?



I love JD, but it isn't a huge hit to the special teams. It is a huge hit to our offense, though. JD was the only one consistently catching the ball and getting open for a few games there. Hopefully Apo and Ridley actually have been improving and making effort, otherwise we might be in for a long stretch of bad receiver play with Wisconsin, in particular.


I'm not worried; our receivers have been playing well as of late.
S
snoscythe
Marques Johnson?
S
scott715
You meant Peoples?
Advertisement
B
blue42
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Someone that knows how to wave their hands in the air?



I love JD, but it isn't a huge hit to the special teams.


Serious? JD is in the top for punt return yards in the country, ran one back for a touchdown and almost ran one back for a touchdown against Utah, getting tackled at the 13. He has done a great job of getting the cougars started in good field position.



That seems like a big hit to special teams to me.
G
golong
Falslev should be suspended for stupidity. What was he doing at a water park? And it's football season for crying out loud, stop all other activities. You can water park in June (or January for that matter). It really bugs me when football players go do stupid things and get hurt while not even playing football. I love JD, but if we lose to Wisconsin because of his dumbness, I will not forgive him.
B
blue42
golong wrote:
Falslev should be suspended for stupidity. What was he doing at a water park? And it's football season for crying out loud, stop all other activities. You can water park in June (or January for that matter). It really bugs me when football players go do stupid things and get hurt while not even playing football. I love JD, but if we lose to Wisconsin because of his dumbness, I will not forgive him.


It wasn't Falslev being stupid, it was a team activity in the bye week, so if stupidity is what you want it would be Bronco.
B
Brayden Green
blue42 wrote:
Someone that knows how to wave their hands in the air?



I love JD, but it isn't a huge hit to the special teams.


Serious? JD is in the top for punt return yards in the country, ran one back for a touchdown and almost ran one back for a touchdown against Utah, getting tackled at the 13. He has done a great job of getting the cougars started in good field position.



That seems like a big hit to special teams to me.


I knew I would get one of these. He has attempted many, many, many punt returns for us. He has been the PR for 3 of the years that we have had one of the best defenses in the nation. He is a leader because of quantity of reps. He makes plenty of mistakes, (fumbles, fair catches when there is no one within 15 yards, not catching balls that bounce inside the 10 yard line, and there are a lot of non-returns, or returns for minimal gain.) Not dogging on the kid, just being honest. I like the kids' heart. I don't think that it is a slight against him to say that he isn't a big loss punt returning. It will also be good to see what we have stored away for the future. I am sad one of our boys is hurt though. We need him on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sold on Apo and Ridley being the answer, and he did well for us as a slot receiver.
B
blue42
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Someone that knows how to wave their hands in the air?



I love JD, but it isn't a huge hit to the special teams.


Serious? JD is in the top for punt return yards in the country, ran one back for a touchdown and almost ran one back for a touchdown against Utah, getting tackled at the 13. He has done a great job of getting the cougars started in good field position.



That seems like a big hit to special teams to me.


I knew I would get one of these. He has attempted many, many, many punt returns for us. He has been the PR for 3 of the years that we have had one of the best defenses in the nation. He is a leader because of quantity of reps. He makes plenty of mistakes, (fumbles, fair catches when there is no one within 15 yards, not catching balls that bounce inside the 10 yard line, and there are a lot of non-returns, or returns for minimal gain.) Not dogging on the kid, just being honest. I like the kids' heart. I don't think that it is a slight against him to say that he isn't a big loss punt returning. It will also be good to see what we have stored away for the future. I am sad one of our boys is hurt though. We need him on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sold on Apo and Ridley being the answer, and he did well for us as a slot receiver.


Knew you would get one of these? :roll:



look at the numbers, he has the second most attempts in the country, thanks to BYU's great defense, but he averages 10 yds a return, the guy who is first in attempts averages only 5 yds a return. So JD avg twice what the leader in attempts averages. He is 7th in total yds and the 10 yds avg ranks him in the top 25, so I think those are pretty big numbers not to have on special teams.



2012 he was 26th in the country for return avg at over 9 yds a game and was 22nd in total yds and tied for 6th in total attempts.



2011 he was 36th in the country for return avg at 6 yds a game, tied for 18th in total yds and tied for 17th in total attempts.



Each year he has gotten better which is what you want to have.





JD did have 3 fumbles against Middle Tenn which is totally unacceptable but I think that is the only game he has fumbled in this year, I will have to go back and take a look at that. Not sure about fumbles the previous two years.



Also one of the biggest rules for a punt returner is if you are deep in your territory, you stand on the 10 yd line, anything in front of you, you catch, anything over your head you let it bounce because the chances are very high the ball will bounce into the end zone for a touch back.



I am with you I would like to see what the future looks like, but I also wouldn't like the Wisconson game being the first game to throw a new person in.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Since it is so easy - no big deal - maybe Blue can walk on and try returning a few - I realize he is a big lumbering lineman - but just catching that thing reliably after waving for a fair catch with bodies flying down and very close - ready to smear you if you bobble it - yeah. Even that might help one appreciate the punt returner.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
golong wrote:
Falslev should be suspended for stupidity. What was he doing at a water park? And it's football season for crying out loud, stop all other activities. You can water park in June (or January for that matter). It really bugs me when football players go do stupid things and get hurt while not even playing football. I love JD, but if we lose to Wisconsin because of his dumbness, I will not forgive him.


It could have been worse http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9934933/tyler-moore-florida-gators-suffers-season-ending-injury-scooter-accident
B
Brayden Green
blue42, I understand what you are saying, and no disagreement about JD as a person or player. I also agree that the injury is untimely, coming before Wisconsin. I would rather not try someone else out midseason, and I hate it that a senior is hurt and can't finish out his successful career.



I just don't see this as a gamechanger as far as the punt returning game goes, because JD pushes the needle as much as he sets it back in my eyes (for every decent return he does he has 5 weird fair catches letting the ball go when he should have caught it, then overcompensating and almost fumbling, etc.) I don't want to go on, because I don't want to sound like I am bagging on him. I am not. He will be missed on the offensive side of the ball from the slot. He has a ton of first downs for us from there, when our outside receivers are runningdumb routes or can't get open.



<<shrugs>>



We'll miss him, and I hope he gets back soon.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.