Archived Topic

Would a Win vs Wisc be Bronco's biggest win?

by Cougs_Rule · 11/4/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Heard this topic being discussed on the radio this morning.

It's all about context, timing, ranking of opponent, what it means to season, etc.



Variables to consider--

Wisc is top ten in most defensive categories.

On road in Big 10, prominent program.

Stout offense averaging 39 ppg.

First underrated BCS program--maybe ever. Should be around 15.

Nobody is picking BYU to win.

Wisc is Projected to be at large BCS game pick

A win sets BYU to win out and jump start next year with a softer schedule and greater chance to make noise nationally.



What wins could possibly be larger? Oklahoma? Oregon in bowl game?
S
snoscythe
Easily his biggest true road win.
E
EM_Puma
I would have to push my vote toward either Bronco's first win over Puketah or bowl game. They meant something. A win this Saturday at this point in his career can launch things for next year (but he would still need to beat ND/ISU/Nevada), but that is about it. So possibly one of the most important games of his career (in his top 10 if he wins), but would not be biggest win. Besides the other two games mentioned, the Oklahoma win is in the top 5 for certain.
C
Cougarbib
Not sure it would stand the test of time, because right as we celebrate the win, Wisconsin becomes just another 6-3 team. Perhaps it shoukd be considered such. But time better remembers wins over teams - brands - like Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Maybe even TCU since it became a rivalry of sorts. But, Bucky in the road might just be the best team Bronco has beaten.



Oregon State and Oregon, too. Bronco has some nice wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Heard this topic being discussed on the radio this morning.

It's all about context, timing, ranking of opponent, what it means to season, etc.



Variables to consider--

Wisc is top ten in most defensive categories.

On road in Big 10, prominent program.

Stout offense averaging 39 ppg.

First underrated BCS program--maybe ever. Should be around 15.

Nobody is picking BYU to win.

Wisc is Projected to be at large BCS game pick

A win sets BYU to win out and jump start next year with a softer schedule and greater chance to make noise nationally.



What wins could possibly be larger? Oklahoma? Oregon in bowl game?


There were over a dozen NFLers from the Oklahoma team we beat and they were #3 and had the returning Heisman trophy winner. (and we did it without Harvey Unga)



This would be big and certainly a signature win (historically we have very few true road wins vs ranked oppponents in the last 40 years) but this is not bigger than OU.



I don't think we win, but I do think there's a chance and if we do, BYU will have to ante up or someone is going to try to come steal Bronco from us.



I don't know if Wisconsin is underrated (because I feel like the Big 10 is overrated) I would say that beyond the top 10-12 in college football that there's a ton of parity. I can look at Fresno State and Northen Ill. and confidently say that BYU would beat them and I'm not afraid of UCLA, Louisville, Notre Dame, or Miami (If not for solid 4th quarters, Miami could have 4 losses.. 3 against very mediocre opponents)



What's not overrated is how good Wisconsin is at home... so yes, if BYU won this game, it would go on his mantle up there with the Oklahoma game, this years Texas game (and the way we beat them), the 59-0 UCLA game, and Bronco's very good bowl record.
Advertisement
G
Guest
It would be a great win, but not the biggest.
F
frdbtr
Bronco's biggest win was New Mexico 2005 and it will be his biggest win until he retires.
B
BerliNY
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco's biggest win was New Mexico 2005 and it will be his biggest win until he retires.


I shouldn't have forgotten about that one, but I did. Huge win.
N
NDCougar
Not even close and it is sad if it is in the running. Wisconsin is good, but they are ranked #24 in the BCS standings and have already lost twice (well 1.5x). If beating a #24 ranked win is your biggest win and you are a BYU coach, then that is sad.



Beating a top 10 OU with the Heisman QB is the biggest win, neutral site. No question this is the biggest win. OU could have had a better year if Bradford was healthy.



Wisconsin is a good solid win, but not his biggest win.
S
Stirfry
Even as a diehard BYU fan, the OU game is downgraded because of what happened. They lost their Heisman QB and replaced him with a freshman (I think). They were using a tightend or something for their center because they had so many injuries on the o-line. OU didn't keep up their end of the bargain though the rest of the season. It was an awesome win though.



Wasn't the OSU bowl game a match up of two top 20 teams? I remember it being ranked a bigger bowl game than the bottome BCS game that year by SI. That game doesn't seem to get a lot of love though which is understandable due to what we thought OU was going in to that game.



What was TCU's record/rank in 2006 when Beck beat them? (wan't that on the road?)
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
Stirfry wrote:
Even as a diehard BYU fan, the OU game is downgraded because of what happened. They lost their Heisman QB and replaced him with a freshman (I think). They were using a tightend or something for their center because they had so many injuries on the o-line. OU didn't keep up their end of the bargain though the rest of the season. It was an awesome win though.



Wasn't the OSU bowl game a match up of two top 20 teams? I remember it being ranked a bigger bowl game than the bottome BCS game that year by SI. That game doesn't seem to get a lot of love though which is understandable due to what we thought OU was going in to that game.



What was TCU's record/rank in 2006 when Beck beat them? (wan't that on the road?)


Agree, but it was still vs a top 10 team at the time. OU was also missing their all world TE. Still better than beating a two loss team.....again quality win but not the "biggest win".



That is what has driven me crazy about Bronco, he never gets the big win.



Off the topic but some what related.......



It is funny how Bronco downplays recruiting but beats the teams (generally) he should beat and loses to the more talented teams (generally). Recruiting is not perfectly correlated to winning but it is one of the more relevant factors.



I hope Bronco is all over Mama and Luatua. I spoke with both a few weekends ago in South Bend vs USC. I would be shocked to see Luatua in a Cougar uniform; he is visiting WI a few weekends after BYU is in town and he didn't think he would visit BYU.....he is Alabama or ND if I had to guess. Mama did not say much regarding BYU, but him and Luatua and I was told we could see them go to the same place. Luatua and Mama are all taking visits to: ND (together), Bama (together), WI (separate), Ole Miss (Luatua solo). Bronco needs to land more of these LDS kids who are top recruits.
S
SpiffCoug
TCU finished 11-2 in 2006 and was ranked higher than Wisconsin currently is when BYU went down to Ft. Worth and beat them. I even want to say TCU had the nations longest winning streak at the time (it was like 13 games or something like that).



But that game was also much earlier in the season. But that was a very good TCU team Bronco beat.
C
craigoscarson
NDCougar wrote:
Even as a diehard BYU fan, the OU game is downgraded because of what happened. They lost their Heisman QB and replaced him with a freshman (I think). They were using a tightend or something for their center because they had so many injuries on the o-line. OU didn't keep up their end of the bargain though the rest of the season. It was an awesome win though.



Wasn't the OSU bowl game a match up of two top 20 teams? I remember it being ranked a bigger bowl game than the bottome BCS game that year by SI. That game doesn't seem to get a lot of love though which is understandable due to what we thought OU was going in to that game.



What was TCU's record/rank in 2006 when Beck beat them? (wan't that on the road?)


Agree, but it was still vs a top 10 team at the time. OU was also missing their all world TE. Still better than beating a two loss team.....again quality win but not the "biggest win".



That is what has driven me crazy about Bronco, he never gets the big win.



Off the topic but some what related.......



It is funny how Bronco downplays recruiting but beats the teams (generally) he should beat and loses to the more talented teams (generally). Recruiting is not perfectly correlated to winning but it is one of the more relevant factors.



I hope Bronco is all over Mama and Luatua. I spoke with both a few weekends ago in South Bend vs USC. I would be shocked to see Luatua in a Cougar uniform; he is visiting WI a few weekends after BYU is in town and he didn't think he would visit BYU.....he is Alabama or ND if I had to guess. Mama did not say much regarding BYU, but him and Luatua and I was told we could see them go to the same place. Luatua and Mama are all taking visits to: ND (together), Bama (together), WI (separate), Ole Miss (Luatua solo). Bronco needs to land more of these LDS kids who are top recruits.


I had heard a rumor that Luatua and Mama were at the Boise game, but no one has confirmed it. Nick Kurtz (our JC all America receiver) told me that he had talked to Luatua about BYU but didn't know a thing about Mama. Usually recruits are in the know about other potential signees (peer pressure thing) and Kurtz knew nothing about Mama, so maybe he's a pipe dream and BYU has moved on.



Other than Alabama, I see nothing competitively that BYU can't offer the next few years. South Bend is a dump of a town (I just don't get the allure of the tiny town in the middle of nowhere with a tiny student body; I get that there's history but it's done nothing for me whenever I got there.. even the stadium is outdated and uncomfortable.. I paid big bucks for my tickets and sat on frozen cold steel bleacher seats) and BYU will be better than Wisconsin the next two years, even if we don't beat them this year (Gary Anderson is who we think he is). Ole Miss seems like a weird place. I get Bama if it's a football only decision.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.