Archived Topic

Will a certain linebacker at Notre Dame transfer?

by byugo · 12/2/2009

Advertisement
B
byugo
I have not stated nor will I state the name of this linebacker in hopes this thread will not be locked. I feel this is a very logical question because Weis is the coach which recruited this player. I have heard rumors that he is possibly looking to transfer if he is not comfortable with the coach Notre Dame hires. This linebacker if he transfered to BYU, Kyle Vanoy, Fua, Stout and the freshman linebacker from California coming in could be the best BYU has ever had, if this were to take place. Do you think Bronco would be open to such a posibility? I would like to think so.
S
Schmoe
Hmmm...don't know, don't care.
C
CougarPeasant
to BYU?!!! No and ewete no.



he'll be the star of the ND defense next season, be that as it may.
G
gmj81
byugo wrote:
I have not stated nor will I state the name of this linebacker in hopes this thread will not be locked. I feel this is a very logical question because Weis is the coach which recruited this player. I have heard rumors that he is possibly looking to transfer if he is not comfortable with the coach Notre Dame hires. This linebacker if he transfered to BYU, Kyle Vanoy, Fua, Stout and the freshman linebacker from California coming in could be the best BYU has ever had, if this were to take place. Do you think Bronco would be open to such a posibility? I would like to think so.


First, I don't think he's open to the idea first of all with the way things played out during the first recruitment. Second, I don't think Bronco would even consider it if the player inquired for the same reason. And finally, he'd have to sit out a year to transfer wherever unless he goes on a mission which I don't think he's willing to do. So I'm thinking his bed is made at ND and he'll stay there. It might turn out good for him yet but I don't think ND will be any better than BYU in the next 3-5 years.
I
Italics
Nope, he's going to stay at ND and regret joining such a mediocre team for the rest of his college career.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I'd love to have him come back and play. BYU can use all the quality players they can get, especially with BYU running the 3-4 and the injury bug that has decimated the defense in the last couple of years.



Oh Babylon, Oh Babylon you'll bid them farewell,

Please come to the mountains of Ephraim to dwell. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think you can drink at BYU and don't seeing that changing anytime soon. If Teo transfers, I doubt it will be here.



And why do we want to Teo to go to Snow College (in Ephraim, Utah)?
F
Florwood
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...
S
snoscythe
Florwood wrote:
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...


Yes. If they are gone for the full-time, they do not have to sit out post-transfer, post-mission. I'm not entirely sure what the cut-off is (I think it is one year), but I do know that two years passes muster.
J
jonnylingo
My guess is that Manti jost lost a lot of interst in where he goes for college football. He will put in one more year, maybe two and then go to the NFL.



At this point transferring and sitting out isn't worth it to him unless he actually cared about having a college career. I doubt that is the case. Now its all about getting into the NFL. He can do that just fine at Notre Dame even if they suck.
Advertisement
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...


Yes. If they are gone for the full-time, they do not have to sit out post-transfer, post-mission. I'm not entirely sure what the cut-off is (I think it is one year), but I do know that two years passes muster.


Didn't they just enact a new rule this year (the Utah State/Riley Nelson rule) that a religious mission no longer qualifies as the year sit-out? I seem to remember a lot of talk about it earlier this year.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
Florwood wrote:
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...


Yes. If they are gone for the full-time, they do not have to sit out post-transfer, post-mission. I'm not entirely sure what the cut-off is (I think it is one year), but I do know that two years passes muster.


Didn't they just enact a new rule this year (the Utah State/Riley Nelson rule) that a religious mission no longer qualifies as the year sit-out? I seem to remember a lot of talk about it earlier this year.


The Riley Nelson Rule only affects recruiting of missionaries:


Official Church Mission. An institution shall not contact a student-athlete who has begun service on an official church mission without obtaining permission from the institution from which the student-athlete withdrew prior to beginning his or her mission if the student-athlete signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) and attended the institution (with which he or she signed the NLI) as a full-time student.



If such a student-athlete has completed his or her official church mission and does not enroll full time in a collegiate institution within one calendar year of completion of the mission, an institution may contact the student-athlete without obtaining permission from the first institution.


A school cannot recruit athletes from other schools while serving anymore. It used to be that you could start re-recruiting them after they were gone for one-year. However, the rule does not prohibit the athlete on the mission from contacting a new school--if he initiates contact, the new school will not have to get a release from the school that previously held the NLI.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...


Yes. If they are gone for the full-time, they do not have to sit out post-transfer, post-mission. I'm not entirely sure what the cut-off is (I think it is one year), but I do know that two years passes muster.


Didn't they just enact a new rule this year (the Utah State/Riley Nelson rule) that a religious mission no longer qualifies as the year sit-out? I seem to remember a lot of talk about it earlier this year.


The Riley Nelson Rule only affects recruiting of missionaries:


Official Church Mission. An institution shall not contact a student-athlete who has begun service on an official church mission without obtaining permission from the institution from which the student-athlete withdrew prior to beginning his or her mission if the student-athlete signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) and attended the institution (with which he or she signed the NLI) as a full-time student.



If such a student-athlete has completed his or her official church mission and does not enroll full time in a collegiate institution within one calendar year of completion of the mission, an institution may contact the student-athlete without obtaining permission from the first institution.


A school cannot recruit athletes from other schools while serving anymore. It used to be that you could start re-recruiting them after they were gone for one-year. However, the rule does not prohibit the athlete on the mission from contacting a new school--if he initiates contact, the new school will not have to get a release from the school that previously held the NLI.


Excellent, thanks for the clarification!
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
A school cannot recruit athletes from other schools while serving anymore. It used to be that you could start re-recruiting them after they were gone for one-year. However, the rule does not prohibit the athlete on the mission from contacting a new school--if he initiates contact, the new school will not have to get a release from the school that previously held the NLI.

No, I'm pretty sure that RMs have to sit out an entire year now if they want to transfer. That's the whole point of the rule.
B
BerliNY
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Florwood wrote:
I have a general question in this regard. If Teo or another LDS player wanted to transfer after their freshman year, and decided also to go on a mission, would that satisfy the year's lay off requirement?



I remember Max having to sit out a year after the mission and transfer, but I think that had something to do with his not serving a full two years...


Yes. If they are gone for the full-time, they do not have to sit out post-transfer, post-mission. I'm not entirely sure what the cut-off is (I think it is one year), but I do know that two years passes muster.


Didn't they just enact a new rule this year (the Utah State/Riley Nelson rule) that a religious mission no longer qualifies as the year sit-out? I seem to remember a lot of talk about it earlier this year.


The Riley Nelson Rule only affects recruiting of missionaries:


Official Church Mission. An institution shall not contact a student-athlete who has begun service on an official church mission without obtaining permission from the institution from which the student-athlete withdrew prior to beginning his or her mission if the student-athlete signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) and attended the institution (with which he or she signed the NLI) as a full-time student.



If such a student-athlete has completed his or her official church mission and does not enroll full time in a collegiate institution within one calendar year of completion of the mission, an institution may contact the student-athlete without obtaining permission from the first institution.


A school cannot recruit athletes from other schools while serving anymore. It used to be that you could start re-recruiting them after they were gone for one-year. However, the rule does not prohibit the athlete on the mission from contacting a new school--if he initiates contact, the new school will not have to get a release from the school that previously held the NLI.




I did not know that. That's very good to know.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm with Mars, I believe missionaries who enroll and attend a univeristy will have to now sit out a year after their missions due to the new rule.
G
Guest
I also thought it included sitting out a year, but after searching online (I'm not going to pay the $16 to download the NCAA rule book) I can find no official reference to this, just the bylaw in question:
In Bylaw 13.1.1.3.2.1 of the NCAA handbook, it states: An institution shall not contact a student-athlete who has begun service on an official church mission without obtaining permission from the institution from which the student-athlete withdrew prior to beginning his or her mission if the student-athlete signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) and attended the institution (with which he or she signed the NLI) as a full-time student. ... If such a student-athlete has completed his or her official church mission and does not enroll full-time in a collegiate institution within one calendar year of completion of the mission, an institution may contact the student-athlete without obtaining permission from the first institution.
I
imuakahuku
He is right now trying to decide between a mission and going back. For those who constantly harp on the "incident", are you that close to him that you know what he is about? Please stop assuming. He is a very good young man. I would love to see him serve and then go to BYU but it is all up to him as to what he will do and "drinking" has nothing to do with the decision.



BTW - Unlike many who "cast stones", I wasn't perfect before serving my mission. But they let me go and I served with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. Imagine that! A repentant sinner actually serving a fairly successful mission. :roll:
G
Guest
I would gladly accept a repentant Teo. Heck, there are two Teo's who, if they were truly repentant and able to demonstrate that in an acceptable manner, I would welcome them back with open arms.
B
BYUROCKS
kitic77 wrote:
I'm with Mars, I believe missionaries who enroll and attend a univeristy will have to now sit out a year after their missions due to the new rule.


I thought the new rule was not passed? and it was just a bunch of USU people who where pushing for it.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.