Archived Topic

Big 12 Officials

by EM_Puma · 10/30/2013

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I thought it interesting that BYU, according to a conversation that Jay Drew from the SL Trib had with Bronco, contract Big 12 officials (College Football Officiating, LLC) for games where the game contract calls for BYU to "choose, or assign the officials."



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/57061777-65/game-really-think-byu.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I'm certainly not reading anything into the selection of that group related to any further expansion scenarios, but I find it interesting, with the groups they could have contracted with, that BYU favored this group.



Everyone seemed to hate the MWC group, but many times that was a mixture of regional officials and often included Big 12. If Big 12 officials were the group that did the officiating at the BYU/Houston game, then I don't know that we are using the best available as there were, IMHO, more questionable calls than some of the other games we have played in. I have no idea how PAC12 officials would do if they were doing a game that didn't involve one of their conference teams, so I don't know that one group is better than the next. You would think so, but that most definitely is something that appears very uncertain (definite uncertainty--sound like a oxymoron).
F
frdbtr
I could be wrong but we have used Big 12 officials, when we chose the officials, for all our games as an independent. I know that we have used them for at least the last 2 years.
S
Schmoe
BYU should get their own officials. If conferences can pay officials to screw over the opponents of their conference teams, why can't BYU have a paid officiating crew that just does all our games?
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:
BYU should get their own officials. If conferences can pay officials to screw over the opponents of their conference teams, why can't BYU have a paid officiating crew that just does all our games?


We have a Big Sky Conference ref in our ward, but he does a lot of other assignments outside of that specific conference.



My curiostiy was that when I read that we had contracted Big 12 officials, why did we select them and what other choices did we have? I don't know that a team could have their own crew, but I don't know what the restrictions are. It appears that usually the away team has the right to chose the officiating group, but I'm sure it's specified that they have to meet some criteria. Maybe we should have selected the PAC12 officials to do our games on the road so they might except us as their own and start giving us some of that home cookin they give the teams of their conferences when we play a PAC12 team. ;)
S
Stirfry
Schmoe wrote:
BYU should get their own officials. If conferences can pay officials to screw over the opponents of their conference teams, why can't BYU have a paid officiating crew that just does all our games?


Is Chad Bunn available? :)
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
everybody is forgetting that pac12 officials are seriously bad even when they don't have a bias to introduce. they are seriously bad refs in general, not just biased and cheaters.
N
nuk13
Has anyone read of the S. Ridley half game suspension which came when the big 12 reviewed a play against Houston. The big 12 is under the CFO who is really the organization that handed it down. Bronco said he agreed but that a 15 yd penalty would have been appropriate if it had been caught in the game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.