Archived Topic

The case for NOT playing Utah again.

by stgeorgefan · 10/30/2013

Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Read this article yesterdayhttp://www.ksl.com/?sid=27435069&nid=272&title=byu-utah-bowl-game-needs-to-happen I couldn't disagree more.



I don't want to play Utah again. The risk to reward is in Utah's favor.

Utah will possibly limp into bowl eligibility, is that the reward we want?

Utah beat us already, they have beat us a lot lately, do we really want to risk getting beat twice in one year( by a 6 win team ) Utah fans wouldn't let us hear the end of it. Chances are they'd be the hardest 6 win team we could play.

Byu should hope for some team that could benefit us. I think USC is one of those "name" teams. AZ state would be great for variety.( and maybe isiah Nacua's heart)



Byu deserves the best team possible, not a mediocre Ute team happy to get to 6 wins with a chance to make their season.
J
jonnylingo
I agree. Why give them a chance at redemption.....AGAIN. better for us to win a different game and end in the top 25.
M
mormonrasta
Utah has no shot at making the Fight Hunger Bowl.



If Utah finishes 6-6 they will not be playing in a Pac-12 affiliated bowl. Washington, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona State, and Arizona will fill the 7 Pac-12 bowl slots long before the Utes are even considered.
C
Cougs_Rule
Better for us to lose to a questionable USC team than get schooled by Utah again. But if it happens, so beit. I like our chances much better in a bowl game vs U than I did earlier in the season. Besides, if U barely limps in to a bowl, I think the team packs it in a little bit.

But yes, would prefer a different team.
S
Stirfry
I'd love it and I'd probably go. As soon as Kyle shot off that none of his seniors have lost to BYU and "I guess none of the underclassman will either" I've wanted it to happen. No other team from the Pac that ends up in that bowl will matter to anyone but us so let's play them.



I have no expectation that it would happen though. I don't know that the Pac has any official pull for who goes but I bet they'd do everything they could to not allow it to happen. Utah could go 3-1 or 1-3 with a small chance of 0-4 so don't know that it could even happen.



(Beating a medicore USC team with an interim coach and less than 50 scholorship players isn't that memorable.)
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
If BYU played utah again this season we would crush them. utah caught us at the right time this year and things would look far different if we met them again. Even with the mental edge going to the utes, BYU would still win. Having said that, 1st the utes will never go to our bowl game (which has been pointed out), and 2nd the utes are not going to make bowl eligibility at all so it is all moot.
S
scott715
I think beating them in a bowl would be good for our fan base. Reason to play them if they get to 6 wins.
1
1967cougar
Point #1 (and 99% of my feelings): I don't want Utah to be bowl eligible. Ever. Never. For any reason. I'm a Max Hall homer inre his statement about hating them.

Point #2: Will somebody at ksl.com please write a new article so that it can supplant that crappy piece of journalism by Noriega? It's been up there, center stage, most of the day. The only thing that "needs to happen" is for Dave to get a lobotomy.
B
BoiseBYU
If Utah were somehow to make it to this bowl, the game will be the only way for them to "legitimize" their season. They will have great motivation. Not saying that means we ought not to play them, but we give them more than they give us in my book....I'd much much rather play SC
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Couple of points. Rasta, Oregon could be out of the Pac12 allotted games if they go to the title game correct?



2nd: Utah only needs 2 more wins to get to 6. With Colorado and washington state, i think they have a very good chance.



3rd: Pac-12 doesn't have a say in who goes to the bowl. The fight hunger bowl has the say, which would possibly give the Utes a good chance if they fall into the 6th place spot.
F
frdbtr
stgeorgefan wrote:
Couple of points. Rasta, Oregon could be out of the Pac12 allotted games if they go to the title game correct?



2nd: Utah only needs 2 more wins to get to 6. With Colorado and washington state, i think they have a very good chance.



3rd: Pac-12 doesn't have a say in who goes to the bowl. The fight hunger bowl has the say, which would possibly give the Utes a good chance if they fall into the 6th place spot.


Utah is going to lose to ASU, Oregon and one (or maybe both) of either Colorado or WSU. They don't get to a bowl game.
M
mormonrasta
stgeorgefan wrote:
Couple of points. Rasta, Oregon could be out of the Pac12 allotted games if they go to the title game correct?



2nd: Utah only needs 2 more wins to get to 6. With Colorado and washington state, i think they have a very good chance.



3rd: Pac-12 doesn't have a say in who goes to the bowl. The fight hunger bowl has the say, which would possibly give the Utes a good chance if they fall into the 6th place spot.


Let's assume Oregon wins out, and Stanford's only loss is to Oregon. They both will go to the BCS.



Pac-12 #2 Bowl is the Alamo. I think UCLA loses only 1 game the rest of the year (Colorado, @AZ, ASU, Washington, @USC). That would put UCLA at 9-3 and probably the most attractive team for that bowl especially because they are from LA. No matter what happens they will not fall to the FH.



Pac-12 #3 is the Holiday. I think Arizona St. goes here. I think they lose @UCLA and Oregon in the Pac-12 championship. That is a 9-4 record, and they will likely be the only other Pac-12 team ranked. Worst case they probably do no worse than Vegas. They played in FH last year.



Pac-12 #4 is the Sun Bowl. Nobody wants to go to El Paso. The Sun Bowl will not take USC after their debacle last year. They probably go with Arizona due to proximity. AZ has a favorable schedule and will probably finish 8-4 with losses to Oregon and Arizona St. They also will probably have the nation's leading rusher. Worst case they are picked for Vegas or FH.



Pac-12 #5 is Vegas. Washington played in Vegas last year. I think USC gets the pick because they are USC. USC's only remaining wins will be Cal and Colorado. But 7-6 is good enough for that bowl. If USC doesn't get Vegas the FH bowl would take them in a second.



Pac-12 #6 is FH. The remaining pool of teams is Utah (6-6), Oregon St. (8-4 losses @Oregon and @ASU), and Washington (7-5 losses @UCLA and @OSU). Oregon St. will have a much better record and the head to head on both teams. Washington is the biggest brand of the 3 and likely a better record than Utah. There is zero chance Utah gets picked here. I'm going with Washington.



Pac-12 #7 is New Mexico. Both Oregon St. and Utah have very weak national brands. Utah is closer, but I don't think that will matter in terms of ticket sales. They are going to be bad for both teams. Oregon St. gets picked here as they are the better and more exciting team.



Utah is going to have to win out to have any chance for the FH bowl.
H
hypercoug
I would love to play Utah again in the bowl game. It's going to be a long 3 years until we play another scheduled game with them. To have a chance to go out with a solid victory over them to end the season would be great.
S
snoscythe
I'm all for it. We don't play them for 3 more years and we've already lost 4 in a row, so it's not like they're going to have that much more to gloat about.



Then again if we win, we get three years bragging rights as they rot in squalor at the bottom of the PAC.



The incremental possible downside is worth the shot in my book, especially considering we're getting the 6th pick out of the PAC anyway.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:
I'm all for it. We don't play them for 3 more years and we've already lost 4 in a row, so it's not like they're going to have that much more to gloat about.



Then again if we win, we get three years bragging rights as they rot in squalor at the bottom of the PAC.



The incremental possible downside is worth the shot in my book, especially considering we're getting the 6th pick out of the PAC anyway.


Totally agree with this. This would be a chance to get that monkey off our back and for K Whit to eat his words. Let's not be wusses.
M
mtnradio
Jarhead wrote:
I'm all for it. We don't play them for 3 more years and we've already lost 4 in a row, so it's not like they're going to have that much more to gloat about.



Then again if we win, we get three years bragging rights as they rot in squalor at the bottom of the PAC.



The incremental possible downside is worth the shot in my book, especially considering we're getting the 6th pick out of the PAC anyway.


Totally agree with this. This would be a chance to get that monkey off our back and for K Whit to eat his words. Let's not be wusses.


I agree. I'm surprised at how scared of :utard: so many of you sound.



FWIW ... ESPN is predicting BYU v USC for the bowl
B
BerliNY
scott715 wrote:
I think beating them in a bowl would be good for our fan base. Reason to play them if they get to 6 wins.


Yes. The Fanbase NEEDS a win over Utah. A big, thumping win. I would probably prefer USC to Utah just because it's USC and how many chances do you get to beat up on a weak USC team? But I would love love love LOVE to see us play Utah.
Y
Y 4 Ever
frdbtr wrote:
Couple of points. Rasta, Oregon could be out of the Pac12 allotted games if they go to the title game correct?



2nd: Utah only needs 2 more wins to get to 6. With Colorado and washington state, i think they have a very good chance.



3rd: Pac-12 doesn't have a say in who goes to the bowl. The fight hunger bowl has the say, which would possibly give the Utes a good chance if they fall into the 6th place spot.


Utah is going to lose to ASU, Oregon and one (or maybe both) of either Colorado or WSU. They don't get to a bowl game.

:utard: is also going to get killed by standford. Oh, wait...



:utard: has a habit of winning games they shouldn't. They will get to 6 wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
You say scared, I would counter with respect how they play against us. If we are "going to play the 6th team regardless", why play a team we A. already have played B. a team that has mentally owned us.



It would be doing Utah a favor to have them play us.



Mormonrasta are you saying that Utah gets an at large bid? 7 slots and 8 teams eligible. I do think Utah has an outside chance vs. ASU at home. I don't think a win at WSU is a lock either.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.