Archived Topic

What's left to play for?

by mizzoucoug · 10/30/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I hear this question thrown around a lot each year after becoming bowl eligible. I'm in the camp that believes national exposure to be the only thing left to play for and that's just fine. In fact, I think it's pretty obvious that's what the program is looking for more than simply winning a conference championship.



I think we're all getting the sense that Taysom is a special talent and will be a Heisman candidate the next 2 seasons. The media is beginning to fall in love with this kid (http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/cbssportsnetwork/58326083582), so if we can finish the season off well, the chances of us (heaven forbid) beginning 2014 with a good ranking skyrocket--regardless of the loss of KVN & Cody.



The past few years when the team has sucked it was hard to stay motivated, but I love the fact that this team has a little swagger now and likely feels that it might finally break through and become nationally relevant in the very near future.



I very much look forward to playing out the season and even discussing the outside chance of making a BCS game this year...
C
Cougs_Rule
KVN shouldn't be too much of a loss, bein so "lazy" and all. CLeary he doesn't have much to play for. :roll:
M
mizzoucoug
Do you have an intelligent comment to add or are you just going to troll? :roll:
S
scott715
Plenty! Better tv ratings with some good games. We're 26 in BCS poll. Peeped for big move up with a win. Bust into top 25 poll. Honor and reputation on national tv. 10 wins in season with tough schedule. Attracting teams to schedule us. Leverage for bowl deals. Best team in state. Recruiting with two 5 star OL still looking at us. And in a few years we will be negotiating a new ESPN deal. How about getting Hill into Heisman discussion.



These games are huge. Can't wait for Wisconsin.



Should I add more fans and eyeballs in the future. Maybe new members to CC.
C
Cougarbib
Pride



Oh



And



Tradition

Spirit and

Honor



Independent Conference Championship



Best in Region



Mainly National Team Rankings and Individual Awards and rankings and professional career positioning for a few.



Oh - and The F Word...........



FUN



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
Do you have an intelligent comment to add or are you just going to troll? :roll:


Sorry for my "lackluster and lazy" post. Even with my "diminished ability" the least I can do is OWN UP TO MY [YOUR] Previously idiotic post.
S
Stirfry
Cougarbib wrote:
Oh - and The F Word...........



FUN



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Whenever I hear this question this is the answer that seems to be missing. You play because it's fun and you enjoy competition. You grow up playing football because you want to compete against the guy across from you. To me that's always seemed much more important than winning a conferance championship. You play for today.



Most of the rest of the stuff is just for the fans. I don't watch BYU every week because of all the other things listed. I watch because I like watching and I think the players play because they like playing.
S
scott715
Good thing the players are motivated even if the fans aren't.



I probably should have added missionary work to the list. Which brings me to another question. Why doesn't KBYUtv not televise a fireside? Or do a highlights each season?
J
jonnylingo
I hate that argument. People always bring that up with independence. But at this point what do most bcs conference teams have to play for? what does utah have to play? Nothing.



BYU has a ton to play for. Being on espn every week is huge. people don't realize that most teams are on national television only a couple time a year. if we win the national exposure that will come with that is huge and what we are playing for.



also had we not lost to uva we would be playing for a bcs bowl invite. to beat notre dame and wisconsin on the road is plenty to play for. holmoe has done a great job and leaving the team something to play for, having some big games in november.



i think we are also playing to get ranked as high as possible because the future is bright. we want to end ranked high enough that hopefully we will start ranked going into next season which has what appears to be an easier schedule with most difficult games being away from home. but if we can run the table or have one loss next year might be the year.



lots to play for.
C
Cougs_Rule
scott715 wrote:
Good thing the players are motivated even if the fans aren't.



I probably should have added missionary work to the list. Which brings me to another question. Why doesn't KBYUtv not televise a fireside? Or do a highlights each season?


Because ticket sales would decrease. ;)
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Cougs_Rule wrote:
KVN shouldn't be too much of a loss, bein so "lazy" and all. CLeary he doesn't have much to play for. :roll:

Blahahahahahahahaha I seriously laughed out loud. Can't have my co-workers knowing i'm on CC!!!





Plenty left to play for BUT it has to be broke down in two separate categories: Players and fans.



For the fans I think it's easy; big games, national attention, building for next year etc.

For the players; I don't know exactly but I can guess that pride is up there. For the underclassman its a chance to build for next years team. It's a chance to solidify your position for next year.

I do think this question is blown out of proportion though. With so many bowl games it's almost a given. Only a few teams get the big time game and compete for the national title, the rest are going to a bowl.
C
craigoscarson
Football is fun... winning lasts forever. Bronco is the kind of guy that doesn't look past the next week and instills that into his guys. What do we have to play for? Beat Wisconsin.. I think the team has an easier time realizing that than the fans.



The question should be now... "What do we have to lose?".... that's the scary one for Notre Dame and Wisconsin...
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
Football is fun... winning lasts forever. Bronco is the kind of guy that doesn't look past the next week and instills that into his guys. What do we have to play for? Beat Wisconsin.. I think the team has an easier time realizing that than the fans.



The question should be now... "What do we have to lose?".... that's the scary one for Notre Dame and Wisconsin...


That is what is so ironic about the OP and this ridiculous assertion about having nothing to play for after the first loss or two. Usually Ute Trolls are the ones postulating this non-sense as their 1-4 team continues its battle to play in The Rose Bowl.



BYU has nothing to lose right now other than Pride, Tradition, Honor. We are not ranked. We are not The Independent everyone iss assuming to be the best. We already lost to the Utes re in-state head-to-head, but we are already bowl eligible. I suppose if Utah suddenly finds themselves abd we lose out, we could lose that ranking edge we have over them.



But there is a ton to play for. A ton. The above, plus



A top 15-25 final ranking. Individual awards a plenty. Positioning fir the future as individuals ans as a team. Independent Conference Supremacy. Further widened ranking advantage over U. Tiny possibility of getting a U rematch. Certainty of getting a chance to beat a PAC team.



And for The FUN of It.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
stgeorgefan wrote:

For the players; I don't know exactly but I can guess that pride is up there. For the underclassman its a chance to build for next years team. It's a chance to solidify your position for next year.


Talk to the players. Why do they punish their bodies, spend hours in practice and the weight room and running only to have to try to keep up their grades? Why do they strap it on one more time, even if it is the last game of a bad season and there is nothing in the future for them?



Most players I know do it because they LOVE it. They enjoy the hits. They thrive in trying to assert their will on their opponent and beat him. This is the stuff that gets the mouth watering for them. Like sitting down to a big steak dinner ... they hunger for the game.



And that makes playing it all the more fun. What's left to play for? If you want to throw everything else out ... they play now to have it for the rest of their lives. NObody can ever take it away from them ... THEY were a BYU Cougar football player!! And anytime they mention it, there is a respect given them that they have earned (even if they only saw minimal playing time).



That question is most often asked by those who never played the game or if they did, they didn't learn to love it [*edit] and those trying to start a discussion ....
I
imuakahuku
Play to win. No other reward necessary.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Do you have an intelligent comment to add or are you just going to troll? :roll:


Sorry for my "lackluster and lazy" post. Even with my "diminished ability" the least I can do is OWN UP TO MY [YOUR] Previously idiotic post.


Who the hell do you think you are? I never personally attacked you. I made a comment about a player and you don't like it so you are attacking me. Welcome to ignore.
M
mizzoucoug
jonnylingo wrote:
I hate that argument. People always bring that up with independence. But at this point what do most bcs conference teams have to play for? what does utah have to play? Nothing.



BYU has a ton to play for. Being on espn every week is huge. people don't realize that most teams are on national television only a couple time a year. if we win the national exposure that will come with that is huge and what we are playing for.



also had we not lost to uva we would be playing for a bcs bowl invite. to beat notre dame and wisconsin on the road is plenty to play for. holmoe has done a great job and leaving the team something to play for, having some big games in november.



i think we are also playing to get ranked as high as possible because the future is bright. we want to end ranked high enough that hopefully we will start ranked going into next season which has what appears to be an easier schedule with most difficult games being away from home. but if we can run the table or have one loss next year might be the year.



lots to play for.


Agreed. I'm as pumped for the Wisconsin game as I was for the start of the season. Things are looking up.
S
scott715
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=11478646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;





Rooting Guide BCS Edition



BYU's chances for the BCS are slim, but not at none yet. Here is how BYU can make the BCS:



1. BYU wins the rest of their games and finishes ranked in the top 14 of the BCS standings. This would make BYU eligible for an at large selection.



2. Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, and Houston win their conferences and finish in the top 14. They represent the AQ conferences. Texas and Houston are obvious because they make BYU look better. The other 4 teams are currently undefeated, and if they keep winning they push out other teams from the top 14.



3. Fresno St. and Northern Illinois have to lose. We don't want one of those teams to qualify automatically and take up a spot.



4. Notre Dame cannot finish in the top 14. If they are eligible they will be picked. (If we beat them they will be knocked out)



5. Root for excellence in the ACC, SEC, and Big 12; root for chaos in the Pac 12 in the Big Ten. The BCS has a rule that no more than two teams from the same conference can play in the BCS game. We want to work that to our advantage. You have to finish in the top 14 of the BCS to qualify as an at large. If the top 14 consists of the 6 AQ conference champs, BYU, and an at large pool from only 3 conferences then the BCS would have to take BYU. Right now only Ohio State is in the top 14 from the Big 10 and only Oregon and Stanford from the PAC 12. If BYU can take Stanford's place in the top 14 they will be in the BCS provided all the other conditions occur.
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Do you have an intelligent comment to add or are you just going to troll? :roll:


Sorry for my "lackluster and lazy" post. Even with my "diminished ability" the least I can do is OWN UP TO MY [YOUR] Previously idiotic post.


Who the hell do you think you are? I never personally attacked you. I made a comment about a player and you don't like it so you are attacking me. Welcome to ignore.


Be sure to track down KVN and tell him how you really feel about his effort. And be sure to tell him how undeserving he is of his post-season accolades and BYU hero status.
M
mizzoucoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Do you have an intelligent comment to add or are you just going to troll? :roll:


Sorry for my "lackluster and lazy" post. Even with my "diminished ability" the least I can do is OWN UP TO MY [YOUR] Previously idiotic post.


Who the hell do you think you are? I never personally attacked you. I made a comment about a player and you don't like it so you are attacking me. Welcome to ignore.


Be sure to track down KVN and tell him how you really feel about his effort. And be sure to tell him how undeserving he is of his post-season accolades and BYU hero status.


WTF, are you his mom or something? You are nothing but a pathetic troll at this point. I made a post you didn't like, not about YOU, but about a player. And now you are going to troll every post I ever make here on out? What is wrong with you? And for the record others agreed with my assessment on that thread but I don't see you attacking them. Welcome to permanent ignore. Grow some balls and get a life, son.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.