Archived Topic

Concussions ...

by mtnradio · 10/29/2013

Advertisement
M
mtnradio
It seems to me that BYU is suffering more concussions this year than in past years. We have watched as the stadium fell silent wondering how significant the injury was to Williams, Sorenson, Hague, and others.



Football is a game of violent collisions and we can expect to see some injuries. As players get bigger, stronger, and faster, the collisions can be expected to become more violent, leading to more injuries.



BUT, I haven't noticed as many injuries to other teams as are happening to BYU. My question to the forum is WHY?



One possible answer is that BYU players are not properly equipped. (I doubt that)



Another is that BYU players are getting hurt because they fly to the ball and play such an aggressive game (I submit that even if that is part of the answer, it is incomplete).



I propose that a contributing reason is that the team's tackling sucks. How often do you see a good form tackle? Too often our players are taking flying leaps and hoping that putting a flying shoulder pad on the opponent will knock them over. That leads to complaints about arm tackling because these guys miss with the shoulder and then have to try to grab something. Both Sorenson and Hague took knee/leg to the head while diving at the runner ... and it cost them. I'm not complaining about diving to stop a guy they can't otherwise get to ... but it seems to common. Once you, as a tackler, give up your feet, you have given up your most powerful ability to stop the runner.



Maybe I"m wrong ... What do you guys think? And is there a way to help protect our players from these injuries? They are fine men who deserve to be able to keep their wits about them!
G
Gunk
Was thinking the same thing. How many have we had this season already, six?



That's more than I can ever remember.



May be the helmets, but I think you're right that it has more to do with emulating the NFL.
S
Schmoe
Players need to pick their heads up and stop striking with the crown. It's not just helmet to helmet hits that are dangerous, but also striking anything with the top of your head and compressing your spine. You're not just going to get a concussion, but paralyzed to go along with it.
C
CAFB_04-12
Go Fast, Go Hard, Get Concussed.
S
stgeorgefan
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Go Fast, Go Hard, Get Concussed.




Maybe some truth to this. Being tired could lead to bad form when tackling.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
mtn is spot on. Poor angles leading to diving from the side at knees. That is dangerous for both athletes, actually.
I
imuakahuku
i have to agree that I think it is tackling. My son's 7th grade team is having the same thing happen. They have four kids right now out for the the championship game from concussions in the last two weeks. With those four the total is now between 7 and 8 for the season. I played at Kahuku and I only remember one kid ever getting a concussion. Maybe there are more discovered or reported but I don't remember anyone every complaining of headaches or vision problems or any of the other effects of a concussion. Just seems like it is real prevalent. BTW nearly every kid that got a concussion on the team hit their head on the ground so I wouldn't rule out the inefectiveness of their new helmets. They just got them this year.
S
SpiffCoug
Is the field to small? Field dimensions haven't changed in forever. Maybe it needs to be 10 yards wider and longer. Create more spaces for players.



Just a thought.



I really think I'm in favor of no face mask and soft, padded leather helmets.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
Is the field to small? Field dimensions haven't changed in forever. Maybe it needs to be 10 yards wider and longer. Create more spaces for players.



Just a thought.



I really think I'm in favor of no face mask and soft, padded leather helmets.

More space, more room for full throttle contact. I don't think that solves much.



I agree that BYU may be too aggressive in their tackling with their head forward.
S
SpiffCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
Is the field to small? Field dimensions haven't changed in forever. Maybe it needs to be 10 yards wider and longer. Create more spaces for players.



Just a thought.



I really think I'm in favor of no face mask and soft, padded leather helmets.

More space, more room for full throttle contact. I don't think that solves much.



I agree that BYU may be too aggressive in their tackling with their head forward.

More open space. More gaps between defenders. That could give receivers more time to receivers and running backs time to find defenders and get down and avoid the big hit.



Could help.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.