Archived Topic

New BYU O: Why Comps Love Y and Hate Badgers

by Yzzazz · 10/28/2013

Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
BYUs new Robert-Anae fashioned offense accounts for most of what is amazing on the BYU team right now, including: Cody Hoffman breaking Collie's and Pitta's records so early in the season, Williams on pace to outrun Unga in his career, Hill on pace to outrun Williams, BYU's offense putting up 40 points per game, and even--I will venture to say, Hill's remarkable improvement since the Utah game.



Think about it. BYU perenially has a fatal flaw or two. They play great most of the time, but when the game is on the line and really counts, BYU falls prey to whatever weakness it is they have each year. Weak defense, anemic offense, a slow and short secondary, an undersized passer, no serious run threat, tight ends that can't hang on to the ball.



While A BYU upset is almost always expected by fans (we'll never forget Oklahoma), it is rarely accomplished by BYU teams and the problem is often cited as the excuse du' jour. Start the list of games where it really mattered that BYU simply couldn't compete in, and you'll find that as much as fans wanted BYU to contend for the national title, they simply couldn't do it.





In short, Anae has found a way to make up for "it," whatever the fatal flaw might be. This year it would have been that Hill is inexperienced and that he is a horrible passer. (Did anyone here really think he could improve from a 33% completion rate to a 75% completion rate against comparable opponents in just four games?)



Anae makes up for it...in volume.



Among all components of the new offensive scheme, one stat stands out more than all the others. BYU is averaging ninety plays a game. NINETY!



That is a twenty percent increase over last year as well as a twenty percent increase over opponents on average. In short, for every four downs a BYU opponent plays, BYU gets a free down thrown in for good measure.



By the time BYU has played eight games (now) they have played enough for two more full games of real-time experience. That experience is capable of helping Hill do what he did in Houston. All the other games can simply be explained by two things: first, BYU's defense is quite good; second, the offense gets more plays. With these two factors in place, BYU should, on an AVERAGE day, beat their opponents just like they did BSU, low twenties to upper thirties. The Houston game was an abberation because Bills absence triggered blown assignments in the secondary. But early in the season Hill can't pull off a game like that because he simply didn't have the confidence in his receivers to do so. He was second-guessing them and himself all through the Utah game, that's why the Utes' dare-ya-to-pass strategy worked.



With the gaudy stats this system puts up, computers are potentially thrown askew. Note how most of the computer models this week have BYU ranked higher than human voters. The opposite is true for the Wisconsin Badgers, whose comparatively plodding-tempo ground game doesn't yield enough stat meat for computers to chew. They are voted much higher than computers would give them credit for. Could it be that the models have built-in assumptions that more is better? More importantly, could it be that they (the computer models) are right?



Fortunately for the sake of this little debate the two will play each other soon and establish which way the polls, or pollsters, ought to lean. If the computers have been more right than humans all along, BYU should win by an astonishing blowout with Wisconsin never really in the game after the second quarter. Something akin to the way the Georgia Tech game went, but with the offense scoring in the third quarter as opposed to just a pick six.



But the humans may have it right instead. After all, just think in your mind about calling Wisconsin a 7 point underdog to BYU. Would you set the line there? Most people wouldn't. They simply could imagine doing that because Wisconsin is sure to have bigger better faster stronger players and the badgers are playing at home.



But the reality is that oddsmakers set the line for Georgia Tech against BYU as a 4.5 underdog and bettors extended it to 7.



So much for what humans know. Well all right they know a little...

my prediction is BYU wins a closer one than the stats would show: 27-21, and humans will save their poll jobs for another year or more.
A
Alphaleonis
Could be that the computers know that Wisconsin hasn't beat a team with a winning record this year. Whereas the humans don't know that. BYU has beat 3 teams with winning records. According to Sagarin's computer ratings, BYU's strength of schedule averages 10 points per opponent better than Wisconsin's. Also BYU's record at 6-2 is slightly better than W's at 5-2.
F
frdbtr
Good to have you back yzzazz, I love your analysis.
I
IowaCougar
Just ordered my tickets and I'm going to the game! It's only a 5 hour drive from here. Who else will be there? :)
C
Cougs_Rule
Love his energy and theory but I'm afraid I have to punch a hole in his slightly manic analysis.

Wisconsin averages 39 ppg and 500+ YPG. Don't those qualify as big numbers? Don't confuse 1970's ball control with the present. Plus, holding opponents to 15 ppg (ranks 6th in country) this is not an easy game. Probably BYUs toughest.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Let's also not forget that Wisky would (and should) be a one-loss team if not for PAC officials.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
Let's also not forget that Wisky would (and should) be a one-loss team if not for PAC officials.


Yes. We know those Morons up close.
Y
YNot
IowaCougar wrote:
Just ordered my tickets and I'm going to the game! It's only a 5 hour drive from here. Who else will be there? :)


My dad and I will be there!
Y
YNot
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Love his energy and theory but I'm afraid I have to punch a hole in his slightly manic analysis.

Wisconsin averages 39 ppg and 500+ YPG. Don't those qualify as big numbers? Don't confuse 1970's ball control with the present. Plus, holding opponents to 15 ppg (ranks 6th in country) this is not an easy game. Probably BYUs toughest.


Ohio State and Arizona State are both overrated. Wisconsin's biggest win was over a vastly overrated Northwestern. They were ranked at the time, but have now lost 4 games in a row - and they didn't beat anyone in the four game before.



Wisconsin's average computer ranking is about #40. We will learn a lot from the Badgers' game at Iowa this weekend. I actually would pick Iowa to win, but I'm hoping Wisconsin sneaks out with the victory, so our win over the Badgers will look that much better.
C
Cougs_Rule
This summer I predicted that Wisconsin would look tougher on paper and reputation than actual. The game against Iowa should help provide more data. Their stud LB, Borland, has had a hamstring injury and was held out 3 quarters during their last game. He is getting light work In practice this week and is scheduled to play vs Iowa. If he can't go vs BYU, that would be big.

X factor in the Wisc vs BYU game is Anderson. He knows Anae, BYU, THill, and how to defend them. I think he will stack the box and blitz and pound.

On the other side, their strength on Oline and running vs BYus strength in front seven and active safeties.

Going to be a great game. Wish I could go.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
YNot wrote:
Love his energy and theory but I'm afraid I have to punch a hole in his slightly manic analysis.

Wisconsin averages 39 ppg and 500+ YPG. Don't those qualify as big numbers? Don't confuse 1970's ball control with the present. Plus, holding opponents to 15 ppg (ranks 6th in country) this is not an easy game. Probably BYUs toughest.


Ohio State and Arizona State are both overrated. Wisconsin's biggest win was over a vastly overrated Northwestern. They were ranked at the time, but have now lost 4 games in a row - and they didn't beat anyone in the four game before.



Wisconsin's average computer ranking is about #40. We will learn a lot from the Badgers' game at Iowa this weekend. I actually would pick Iowa to win, but I'm hoping Wisconsin sneaks out with the victory, so our win over the Badgers will look that much better.


I fully expect wisconsin to beat iowa. also explain to me why you think osu and asu are overrated. asu seems pretty good on offense. osu hasn't lost in like a year and a half. i think they are better than you are giving credit for but convince me otherwise.
Y
Yzzazz
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Love his energy and theory but I'm afraid I have to punch a hole in his slightly manic analysis.

Wisconsin averages 39 ppg and 500+ YPG. Don't those qualify as big numbers? Don't confuse 1970's ball control with the present. Plus, holding opponents to 15 ppg (ranks 6th in country) this is not an easy game. Probably BYUs toughest.


It's a great point to raise. Why don't the computer models care about those stats? As Alphaleonis points out, it might simply be due to strength of schedule. Think about the irony there for a second. Could it be that the triple count of SOS built into the system in previous years as a way of keeping the (non-AQ) barbarians without the gate, has now come around to actually work in BYU's favor?



As hilarious as it would be for this to be true, it is probably not. Consider Fresno State. Voted right where the computers have them. An MWC team that plays Boise for competition. You would think that if this were just an SOS issue then surely THAT school would be just a little over rated. If SOS is overweight in the poll models then we have a hard time explaining FSU and Wisconsin both. The discrepancy is no mere rounding error. See for yourself:



http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs



ALL of them show a major discrepancy between BYU and Wisconsin and on average BYU is six spots under-rated, while Wisconsin is over-rated by a whopping 18 spots. If computers are so badly and uniformly off, then watching the Badgers take BYU to the woodshed would be tantamount to a referendum on computer polls--and they should be dropped from the formula.



But computers were added to the mix precisely because of the obvious self-interest that manifested in the voting. Nobody wants to go back to those days.



This is one instance where something's gotta give. With BYU's new indy schedule being solid, it's quite possible that the give will go the way of the Cougar.
C
Cougs_Rule
Compelling data and argument. Especially the over and under rated ness of its teams. May make it hard for Vegas to call this one. Particularly, since BYU has not matched or beaten the spread--proved Vegas wrong, about 4 times this year.
M
mtnradio
Cougs-Rule noted the X-factor to be Anderson ... and I think he's right. This is a highly motivated, intelligent and competitive coach who challenged BYU (I don't think he beat them, but my memory of past years focusses on the good stuff) with vastly more limited assets (the players ability) than what he has available to him this year.



Wisconsin is a very good team.



BUT, the Y-factor may very well be the bye! for the first time is a while, BYU SHOULD be healthy all the way around!! That makes a massive difference. Plus, Bronco's record following a bye is very good (even taking into account the debacle we call 2013 :utard: ).



So what does that mean? Well, for me, I'm already salivating for the game ... and Yzzazz and his analysis has got me going even more.



Bye weeks can pass so slooooooowwwwwly ...
S
scott715
I think Anderson beat us once with Heaps playing.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
scott715 wrote:
I think Anderson beat us once with Heaps playing.


I wondered about that ... Did RN come in and lead a come back? I was thinking that in Logan RN won and then in Provo Heaps had the game lost and RN pulled us back ... but I have been wrong once before ;)
S
StatsCougar
He beat us in Logan, the games Hill got fired.
M
mtnradio
StatsCougar wrote:
He beat us in Logan, the games Hill got fired.

Oh man! Now I've been wrong TWICE! :bug:
J
jonnylingo
scott715 wrote:
I think Anderson beat us once with Heaps playing.


we have squeaked out 2 of the last three. riley's come back win was pure luck. the next year we won by 3 points. got killed in logan with heaps the first year.



gary will want this one and have his team ready. it will be at home in wisconsin. byu will probably lose in a close game. but byu can certainly win this game. if our offense shows up and gets touchdowns in stead of field goals we could definitely win this game. i am optimistic.
Y
Yzzazz
StatsCougar wrote:
He beat us in Logan, the games Hill got fired.


Ugh. I was in Logan for that game. First and last time I did that! I remember the game looked terrible in every variable. It was the first game since the Motor City bowl (where Federick threw his tantrum on live TV), where I saw a BYU team that looked dispirited, like they simply didn't want to play the game any more. The Hill bit later explained all that.



The bright spot was late in the game when a new frosh jumped in with some fire. A receiver who made the game's one exciting play with decent YAC. It was J.D. Falslev.



It was pretty fun to see him walk in to my classes the next year when I was teaching at the Y, but I couldn't bring myself to geek out in front of the students. Guess I should have. He transferred out after just one class so I never got a chance to tell him how much I enjoyed watching him play. I didn't recognize the kid sitting next to him ( I wasn't paying close attention) until after they both dropped the class. Funny. It was Riley. :lol:
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.