Archived Topic

BYU will be the best team that any Pac-10 team plays

by UVACoug · 12/1/2009

Advertisement
U
UVACoug
in a bowl this year. Pretty sad that it will be against the 5th or 6th best team.
W
westidahocougar
I can see your point, but I think Oregon or Oregon State will be playing Ohio State in the Rose....so maybe the second best team?? It could be argued that Ohio State is way overrated, but the same could be said for us....



I just want a good opponent that makes it a fun matchup for us.
U
UVACoug
westidahocougar wrote:
I can see your point, but I think Oregon or Oregon State will be playing Ohio State in the Rose....so maybe the second best team?? It could be argued that Ohio State is way overrated, but the same could be said for us....



I just want a good opponent that makes it a fun matchup for us.


We are better than Ohio State. They lost to freaking Purdue and a not so great USC. They also nearly lost to Navy. I think Ohio State is not that much worse than us, but I think we could definitely take them.
M
mormonrasta
UVACoug wrote:
in a bowl this year. Pretty sad that it will be against the 5th or 6th best team.


That could very well be true.
W
westidahocougar
UVACoug wrote:
I can see your point, but I think Oregon or Oregon State will be playing Ohio State in the Rose....so maybe the second best team?? It could be argued that Ohio State is way overrated, but the same could be said for us....



I just want a good opponent that makes it a fun matchup for us.


We are better than Ohio State. They lost to freaking Purdue and a not so great USC. They also nearly lost to Navy. I think Ohio State is not that much worse than us, but I think we could definitely take them.


I think a Ohio State vs. BYU game would be a good one. I think they are playing better than when they beat Navy, but they are sort of schizo like us at times. They are ranked higher than us, and yes they lost to Purdue, but we did lose badly to FSU as well....
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
UVACoug wrote:
I can see your point, but I think Oregon or Oregon State will be playing Ohio State in the Rose....so maybe the second best team?? It could be argued that Ohio State is way overrated, but the same could be said for us....



I just want a good opponent that makes it a fun matchup for us.


We are better than Ohio State. They lost to freaking Purdue and a not so great USC. They also nearly lost to Navy. I think Ohio State is not that much worse than us, but I think we could definitely take them.


That kind of reasoning is problematic when applied to BYU--BYU lost to Florida State and nearly lost to New Mexico. BYU didn't beat a team that is ranked in the current AP poll. Ohio State beat Iowa and Penn State. I think BYU could play with OSU, but realistically, I wouldn't expect BYU to be favored.



If I were setting odds, my initial lines would be:



@OSU: OSU -6.5

@BYU: OSU -2.5

Neutral: OSU -4
J
JamieVallen
I hope BYU never plays Ohio St. Even know we're just talking who would win match-ups. I don't know that I would be happy either way... (Obviously also an Ohio St. fan even know that's probably almost as bad as being a Ute to most of you, but its all good I'll live. Also I'm not denying that OSU is over rated (as somebody mentioned some might argue that BYU is also), but this year they were the best team in the BIg 10. Which kind of sucked this year in my opinion, but there the ones with the auto bid not us, and that also makes me somewhat sad at the same time.
L
Lawboy
I am tired of all the talk about how the Big 12 is down, the SEC is down, the Big East is up, the Big 10 is down. The reality is that the talent divide between the haves and have nots in football is closing, just as it has in basketball. The non-BCS teams are getting better, especially those at the top of that list, while man BCS teams still stink. This year, I'd say that there are only 4 elite teams (UF, Bama, Texas & TCU), with many very good teams right behind them with no huge gaps between those groups. Utah was in the elite handful of teams last year. Point being, the MWC is catching up to the big boys. At least the top 3-4 teams are. And the bottom 5 or 6 could play with bottom BCS teams, as they did last year. There is more great talent spread out more evenly these days. Just like in hoops. Time for the commentators to admit it too. It is obvious.
I
imuakahuku
Lawboy wrote:
I am tired of all the talk about how the Big 12 is down, the SEC is down, the Big East is up, the Big 10 is down. The reality is that the talent divide between the haves and have nots in football is closing, just as it has in basketball. The non-BCS teams are getting better, especially those at the top of that list, while man BCS teams still stink. This year, I'd say that there are only 4 elite teams (UF, Bama, Texas & TCU), with many very good teams right behind them with no huge gaps between those groups. Utah was in the elite handful of teams last year. Point being, the MWC is catching up to the big boys. At least the top 3-4 teams are. And the bottom 5 or 6 could play with bottom BCS teams, as they did last year. There is more great talent spread out more evenly these days. Just like in hoops. Time for the commentators to admit it too. It is obvious.


I think the gap still exists between the BCS teams and some non-bcs conferences. I think the MWC and Conf-USA are much closer to them than the WAC, MAC, and Sun Belt. I also beleive the top of the MWC is more consistant and stronger than many to most BCS programs. AirForce is at least as strong as most mid tier BCS teams and would finish as well or better if they were in a BCS conf. That said, the top three in the MWC have show to be very close to elite status and as you pointed out Utah last year and TCU this year and last were at that level. BYU is very close to that level and at times could probably be considered an elite team except for consistency.

As for Conf-USA, they are an overall stronger conf than the rest of the non-aq conf but lack a consistent top tier of teams. They seem to have a couple of different teams step up every year to make statement wins. However, they don't have any consistent winners which I believe is worse than having a top tier in your conference. I think the MWC is better because of BYU, TCU and Utah being so dominant than having more parity in the conference. That way when the lower tier teams in the conf win OOC too it raises the perception of the strength of the conference instead of allowing for flash in the pan seasons by individual schools. Consistency is key to the BCS and that is what will get us the autobid. Consitently having multiple championship programs and lower teams winning OOC games.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.