Archived Topic

Three plays that change the outcome of the BSU game

by broncoug · 10/26/2013

Advertisement
B
broncoug
BSU fan here, there were 3 plays that totally changed this game, and could have changed the outcome completely -



1 - 3rd down spot when BSU was driving in the second quarter when game was 10-0. Ajayi was a yard beyond the marker and ball was spotted at his feet.



2 - 4th down spot, Hedrick was also well beyond the marker, and ball was poorly spotted. All the momentum changed on this stop.



3 - Williams Rhodes fumble - if you watch the replay, he had stepped out of bounds prior to fumbling.



All bad calls. If the officials would have pulled their heads out, BSU wins this game.
B
broncoug
I am actually kidding on the above post. Great game last night, BYU kicked butt and manhandled BSU.



Here are my real thoughts on the game -



1 - Hill is getting better every game, I fear this series will be 3-3 because of him over the next few years.

2 - Both offensive coordinators (Prince for BSU and Anae) have some issues. I think both Anae and Prince do less with more than other coordinators. Prince and him must be buddies. I don't get inexplicable play calling on both sides. Run, Run, Run, punt is not a great formula.

3 - Officiating was bad both ways, really bad. BSU got some really bad spots, but got away with some pass inteference calls. BYU got called for PI on a play that didn't look to be anything. I thought the targeting call was really bad, and was shocked when it got upheld. I guess football is turning into two hand touch. How can they not call targeting every play? Officiating sort of evened out, but they must have been Pac-12 refs.

4 - KVN was not as dominant as I feared, though he was double, triple, quadruple teamed.

5 - BYU's O line did a great job last night

6 - Did I say Taysom hill was really good?

7 - BYU lets teams hang around way too much. Without a the turnovers in the 2nd half, BSU would have been right in the game, even though BYU was killing them. BYU has a real killer instinct problem in the 3rd quarter.

8 - Spencer Hadleys mustache is amazing. Amazingly disgusting.

9 - Does KVN have a beard card?





Anyway, great game by BYU, it went almost as I predicted. See you next year!
Y
Yzzazz
Nice posts. There were bad spots, and bad calls too. Interesting that there was a similar pattern of bad calls in the UH game. Same kind of bad calls. Makes me wonder if BYU's offense give the refs too much to watch or something. I mean how do you miss a PI call when the Defender never lets go of the jersey from start to finish?



But I digress.



There a three things that set the outcome of this game before the opening kickoff:



1. Bills came back. With Bills back the BYU secondary doesn't blow assignments like they did at UH and BSU can't plan on scoring over 21. They'd have to get lucky.



2. BYU decided to use the tight ends for catching passes this week. BSU hadn't game planned for this--it wasn't on film before this week. I think that allowed BYU's offense to move in the first half and stretch the defense thin as they smother-covered Hoffman and spied Hill.



3. Hill won a comeback win in UH with gritty performances as Anae unleashed him on a lot of receivers. Hill had the confidence he needed so BSU couldn't plan on keeping him from notching 21 points one way or another. They'd have to get lucky.



In the end, BSU had to rely on luck to win the game. They brought a nice package of tricks, but none worked well enough and BYU played to its rankings on both sides of the ball. Even the Broncos aren't going to beat BYU with a backup QB while the cougs are hitting their stride.



This game really does establish the rivalry though. Bronco fans will be thirsty next year. Should be a great series.
S
scott715
We thought the spots were bad too. Anae is an expert in barely winning by getting ultra conservative with a lead.



Ridley's suspension might had been a blessing. He was replaced by the TE not a WR.
S
snoscythe
broncoug wrote:
I think both Anae and Prince do less with more than other coordinators.


Ever hear of "The Domanator"??? It's not just a ridiculously expensive basketball standard.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
What I never understood in the "targeting" play by BSU, why were the announcers not talking about the incompletion being reviewed and overturned? Am I missing something? With BYUtv and ESPN cameras everywhere (according to an article these last weeks that ESPN/BYUtv games have more cameras covering the game than any standard ESPN game) how was that incompletion not overturned. Hoffman caught the ball, took a ful step in the endzone (that should be TD) and then was hammered and lost the ball. Everything seemed focused on whether it was targeting. I didn't think it was personally, but I'm more peeved that it wasn't a TD.
U
UliUli79
EM_Puma wrote:
What I never understood in the "targeting" play by BSU, why were the announcers not talking about the incompletion being reviewed and overturned? Am I missing something? With BYUtv and ESPN cameras everywhere (according to an article these last weeks that ESPN/BYUtv games have more cameras covering the game than any standard ESPN game) how was that incompletion not overturned. Hoffman caught the ball, took a ful step in the endzone (that should be TD) and then was hammered and lost the ball. Everything seemed focused on whether it was targeting. I didn't think it was personally, but I'm more peeved that it wasn't a TD.


This^^. Greg Wrubell said something to this effect during the game last night. He thought that while reviewing the targeting call they would notice that it was actually a touchdown. There have been calls from the booth the last two games that I felt were flat out wrong (and I did my best to be critical and no blue-eyed.).
B
broncoug
I really thought they misser two calls on that play.



Probably should have reviewed the catch - looked like he had it and it was a td.



The targeting to me was a textbook hit. The safety turned his head and hit him in the shoulder to try to dislodge the ball.



This game will be a war next year.



How was the crowd at LES? The broadcast I thought was very poor for espn. Couldnt tell much about the atmosphere.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
broncoug wrote:
BSU fan here, there were 3 plays that totally changed this game, and could have changed the outcome completely -



1 - 3rd down spot when BSU was driving in the second quarter when game was 10-0. Ajayi was a yard beyond the marker and ball was spotted at his feet.



2 - 4th down spot, Hedrick was also well beyond the marker, and ball was poorly spotted. All the momentum changed on this stop.



3 - Williams Rhodes fumble - if you watch the replay, he had stepped out of bounds prior to fumbling.



All bad calls. If the officials would have pulled their heads out, BSU wins this game.


Good stuff. It took me til the very end to realize you were joking. I'm sure there are some Boise State fans that feel this way, but truth of the matter, when BYU really wanted to score they did and it certainly seemed like when BYU really wanted to stop Boise they did. If Bronco were Mike Leach this game could have been 70-35. The DBs from Boise were in over their heads and Broncos fans should be really scared by how exposed they were by big receivers. (Washington has big receivers too a 6'8" TE and 3 6'4"+ receivers)... Hill could have gone to his 6'6" receivers and tight ends all night... at will.



This was much more of a dominating performance than the stats show.



I would not blame Boise fans for wondering if they would have done better with Southwick, of course then we just have to show them last years defensive game tape.



BYU simply outclassed Boise and I wholeheartedly believe Boise is a good team, with a good scheme, good coaching, but not good enough this year. 95 times out of 100 BYU wins that game last night (and I think that's conservative to say). Of course 99 times of out 100 we beat Virginia... so maybe Boise just needed a monsoon ;)



Considering we get pretty much the entire offense back next year (to include Hill) and the entire secondary back, Boise is definitely looking at 0-2 this year and next. If what you put on the field yesterday is any indication, I don't see Boise keeping pace with BYUs improvement for 2014.
C
cougarnerd
broncoug wrote:
...3 - Officiating was bad both ways, really bad. BSU got some really bad spots, but got away with some pass inteference calls. BYU got called for PI on a play that didn't look to be anything. I thought the targeting call was really bad, and was shocked when it got upheld. I guess football is turning into two hand touch. How can they not call targeting every play? Officiating sort of evened out, but they must have been Pac-12 refs....


Actually, they were the same refs we had at the Virginia game.
Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
craigoscarson wrote:
BSU fan here, there were 3 plays that totally changed this game, and could have changed the outcome completely -



1 - 3rd down spot when BSU was driving in the second quarter when game was 10-0. Ajayi was a yard beyond the marker and ball was spotted at his feet.



2 - 4th down spot, Hedrick was also well beyond the marker, and ball was poorly spotted. All the momentum changed on this stop.



3 - Williams Rhodes fumble - if you watch the replay, he had stepped out of bounds prior to fumbling.



All bad calls. If the officials would have pulled their heads out, BSU wins this game.


Good stuff. It took me til the very end to realize you were joking. I'm sure there are some Boise State fans that feel this way, but truth of the matter, when BYU really wanted to score they did and it certainly seemed like when BYU really wanted to stop Boise they did. If Bronco were Mike Leach this game could have been 70-35. The DBs from Boise were in over their heads and Broncos fans should be really scared by how exposed they were by big receivers. (Washington has big receivers too a 6'8" TE and 3 6'4"+ receivers)... Hill could have gone to his 6'6" receivers and tight ends all night... at will.



This was much more of a dominating performance than the stats show.



I would not blame Boise fans for wondering if they would have done better with Southwick, of course then we just have to show them last years defensive game tape.



BYU simply outclassed Boise and I wholeheartedly believe Boise is a good team, with a good scheme, good coaching, but not good enough this year. 95 times out of 100 BYU wins that game last night (and I think that's conservative to say). Of course 99 times of out 100 we beat Virginia... so maybe Boise just needed a monsoon ;)



Considering we get pretty much the entire offense back next year (to include Hill) and the entire secondary back, Boise is definitely looking at 0-2 this year and next. If what you put on the field yesterday is any indication, I don't see Boise keeping pace with BYUs improvement for 2014.


We had the Virginia game, but bad play calling cost us the win late. If we play them now, it's now even close...the result would be similar to Middle Tennessee or Utah State. Maybe bigger than that.
M
mizzoucoug
The 3rd down spot was about a yard off. The 4th down one was the right call though. The ball was down by his belly button and he didn't go anywhere.



Hill gets top 3 Heisman votes the next 2 seasons...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.