Archived Topic

I hope Bronco reminds his guys about....

by craigoscarson · 10/26/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
long free weekend = behave guys... stay away from vegas
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
long free weekend = behave guys... stay away from vegas

:lol:



Get some rest and enjoy the win. Get back to work, next game is no houston or BSU.
W
Wolfman
I hope Bronco reminds his guys that they're going to need to play out of their minds against Wisconsin and Notre Dame thanks to the gutless wonder they have calling plays. Taysom and the offense rack up 375 yards in the first half and are leading by 21 points and what does Anae do? Call off the dogs. :bug: The result: BYU gets outscored 17-13 in the second half with 3 BSU turnovers and by a back-up QB with a total of 180 yards in the second half. And where is Bronco as Anae is calling off the dogs??? Standing on the sideline, arms folded saying nothing. Mendenhall should have been in Anae's grill asking him what the heck he's doing calling plays the entire second half as if the game is over. Both coaches are dense... flat out dense. BYU has won 5 straight now in spite of the coaching. Incredible!! You have a dynamic, growing QB who is coming into his own passing who can flat out scoot, you're moving the ball effectively and amass 24 points and 375 yards in one half and instead of keeping the pedal to the metal, Anae goes ultra-conservative and begins calling plays as if there are two minutes left in the game with BYU up 21.



If Boise State hadn't had 3 crucial turnovers in the second half, this game goes down the wire thanks to Anae and Bronco. This is why the Cougs are in trouble vs. Wisconsin and Notre Dame... coaching. Nevada had Boise State down 20-7 last week in the 3rd quarter and went a little conservative and paid for it by losing the football game. Barring those 3 TO's in the second half, this would have been a 1-2 possession game late in the 4th thanks to Anae's second half play-calling. Why did they bring this guy back and where is Bronco when his O Coordinator is taking his foot off the gas??? And lastly, I don't want to hear anymore about Bronco being a defensive genius... two back-up QB's have amassed 1,000+ yards on his defense in the last 2 games!
C
craigoscarson
Wolfman wrote:
I hope Bronco reminds his guys that they're going to need to play out of their minds against Wisconsin and Notre Dame thanks to the gutless wonder they have calling plays. Taysom and the offense rack up 375 yards in the first half and are leading by 21 points and what does Anae do? Call off the dogs. :bug: The result: BYU gets outscored 17-13 in the second half with 3 BSU turnovers and by a back-up QB. And where is Bronco as Anae is calling off the dogs??? Standing on the sideline, arms folded saying nothing. Mendenhall should have been in Anae's grill asking him what the heck he's doing calling plays the entire second half as if the game is over. Both coaches are dense... flat out dense. BYU has won 5 straight now in spite of Bronco and Anae. Incredible. You have a dynamic, growing QB who is coming into his own passing who can flat out scoot, you're moving the ball effectively and amass 24 points and 375 yards in one half and instead of keeping the peddle to the metal, Anae goes ultra-conservative and calls plays as if he doesn't trust his QB anymore.



If Boise State hadn't had 3 crucial turnovers in the second half, this game goes down the wire thanks to Anae and Bronco. This is why the Cougs are in trouble vs. Wisconsin and Notre Dame... coaching. Nevada had Boise State down 20-7 last week in the 3rd quarter and went a little conservative and paid for it by losing the football game. Barring those 3 TO's in the second half, this would have gone down to the wire thanks to Anae's second half play-calling. Why did they bring this guy back and where is Bronco when his O Coordinator is taking his foot off the peddle??? And lastly, I don't want to hear anymore about Bronco being a defensive genius... two back-up QB's have amassed 1,000+ yards on his defense in the last 2 games!


Anae won't have much of a chance to go conservative against Wisconsin. We have nothing to lose, we're bowl eligible (which Utah will not be but I'm praying they get in and we get them) there is absolutely nothing to lose. Nothing. I expect a very aggressive team on offense and defense.



We should be the favorites against Notre Dame (might be a pickem) and obviously Idaho State and Nevada... all three of those teams have awful offenses so I see no reason why we won't get very aggressive for the rest of the season so that Hill can make a Heisman run next year.



Idaho State and Nevada are gimmees; particularly with Hill playing the way he is right now. The other two are gravy... (though I think we have a chance to put a scare into Notre Dame) I'm much more worried about kids getting in trouble during the season than I am about Anaes play calling going forward this year. We really have nothing to lose now unless we get Utah in the bowl game (please please please). Anae with nothing to lose hung 59 on UCLA



I also have a feeling that we're possibly in the top 25 on Monday (mostly because EVERYONE just saw us dominate BSU when nothing else was on) and we don't play for 2 weeks so if we're in we'll be there for 2 weeks+
W
Wolfman
craigoscarson wrote:
Anae won't have much of a chance to go conservative against Wisconsin. We have nothing to lose, we're bowl eligible (which Utah will not be but I'm praying they get in and we get them) there is absolutely nothing to lose. Nothing. I expect a very aggressive team on offense and defense.



We should be the favorites against Notre Dame (might be a pickem) and obviously Idaho State and Nevada... all three of those teams have awful offenses so I see no reason why we won't get very aggressive for the rest of the season so that Hill can make a Heisman run next year.



Idaho State and Nevada are gimmees; particularly with Hill playing the way he is right now. The other two are gravy... (though I think we have a chance to put a scare into Notre Dame) I'm much more worried about kids getting in trouble during the season than I am about Anaes play calling going forward this year. We really have nothing to lose now unless we get Utah in the bowl game (please please please). Anae with nothing to lose hung 59 on UCLA



I also have a feeling that we're in the top 25 on Monday and we don't play for 2 weeks so if we're in we'll be there for 2 weeks+

What if BYU and Utah meet in a bowl game and the Utes win again? Will Cougar nation be able to stomach 5 straight losses, two in one season? Bronco would be biting his nails, having to play Kyle again. By the way, Notre Dame has a stellar D, better than the Utes, and we saw what Utah did to the Cougar offense. Yes, Hill has been and gotten better since the Utah game, but Utah's D made him look mediocre. And the pressure would be on BYU to win that contest... a lot of pressure. Right now, even though BYU's offense is improving, the D has given up over 1,000 yards in 2 weeks... to back-up QB's. Wisconsin will be able to outscore BYU and Notre Dame will stifle BYU's offense in South Bend. 8-4... not bad.
Advertisement
G
GoCOUGS_1992
The problem is that I don't think Anae went conservative, he was running the hurry up till the second to last possession of the game. I think the players stopped executing. TH missed a few wide open passes that he wasn't missing in the first half. This is why the hurry up offense is completely changing the game and no lead is safe. When you run the hurry up and go 3 and out, you give the other team the ball back without taking hardly any time off the clock. The other team can score fast. I think the coaches knew the game could still be at risk... We were up 21 points with 10:00 mins left in the game, BSU was on the goal line on third down, and Bronco goes running down the sideline to call a timeout because the D was lined up wrong. If he thought the game was out of reach, he wouldn't have done that. Anymore you have to execute with perfection or it can come back to bite you. I don't think they called off the dogs, especially Anae, who hates BSU. He got fired from BSU in the 90's.



My two sense. Could be wrong but I have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt here. I just think the execution was a little off in the second half, and that can't happen against ND or Wisky...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolfman
GoCOUGS_1992 wrote:
The problem is that I don't think Anae went conservative, he was running the hurry up till the second to last possession of the game. I think the players stopped executing. TH missed a few wide open passes that he wasn't missing in the first half. This is why the hurry up offense is completely changing the game and no lead is safe. When you run the hurry up and go 3 and out, you give the other team the ball back without taking hardly any time off the clock. The other team can score fast. I think the coaches knew the game could still be at risk... We were up 21 points with 10:00 mins left in the game, BSU was on the goal line on third down, and Bronco goes running down the sideline to call a timeout because the D was lined up wrong. If he thought the game was out of reach, he wouldn't have done that. Anymore you have to execute with perfection or it can come back to bite you. I don't think they called off the dogs, especially Anae, who hates BSU. He got fired from BSU in the 90's.



My two sense. Could be wrong but I have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt here. I just think the execution was a little off in the second half, and that can't happen against ND or Wisky...

He went conservative... big time. How many examples of college football games do you need over the last 100 years where a team went conservative early in the second half because of a double digit lead and either won a close one or lost because of it? It's one thing to go conservative when you're up 21 with 5:00 to go in the game, but NOT when you're up 21 with a full half to play. Dumb.
G
GoCOUGS_1992
I re- read my post and I don't want it to sound like TH was to blame, he play ex unbelievable tonight. I just think in college football you used to be able to get by with a few mistakes. Anymore because of the hurry up, the momentum and score can change so fast you can't afford very many mistakes. Even when you are ahead by 3 TD's.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
GoCOUGS_1992
Wolfman wrote:
The problem is that I don't think Anae went conservative, he was running the hurry up till the second to last possession of the game. I think the players stopped executing. TH missed a few wide open passes that he wasn't missing in the first half. This is why the hurry up offense is completely changing the game and no lead is safe. When you run the hurry up and go 3 and out, you give the other team the ball back without taking hardly any time off the clock. The other team can score fast. I think the coaches knew the game could still be at risk... We were up 21 points with 10:00 mins left in the game, BSU was on the goal line on third down, and Bronco goes running down the sideline to call a timeout because the D was lined up wrong. If he thought the game was out of reach, he wouldn't have done that. Anymore you have to execute with perfection or it can come back to bite you. I don't think they called off the dogs, especially Anae, who hates BSU. He got fired from BSU in the 90's.



My two sense. Could be wrong but I have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt here. I just think the execution was a little off in the second half, and that can't happen against ND or Wisky...

He went conservative... big time. How many examples of college football games do you need over the last 100 years where a team went conservative early in the second half because of a double digit lead and either won a close one or lost because of it? It's one thing to go conservative when you're up 21 with 5:00 to go in the game, but NOT when you're up 21 with a full half to play. Dumb.


I didn't think the play calling changed a ton. I've seen plenty of play calling that goes conservative on offense and defense, but I just don't think it happened tonight. These kids are young kids who get caught up in the emotion of the game, they look up at the scoreboard and think a 21 point victory is safe, then they get a little off on execution. I'll be the first one to blame a coach for bad play calling, but I just don't think that was the case tonight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
I dare say Wolfman is being converted. The passion, the investment, the resolve. Come on Wolfman just fully embrace the Cougars. You're with friends. :crazy:
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
Stirfry wrote:
I dare say Wolfman is being converted. The passion, the investment, the resolve. Come on Wolfman just fully embrace the Cougars. You're with friends. :crazy:

I'm converted... the mods and rest of the clan just don't know it yet. I love Taysom and his play on the field... guy is a stud, gamer and great guy off the field as well!
C
craigoscarson
Stirfry wrote:
I dare say Wolfman is being converted. The passion, the investment, the resolve. Come on Wolfman just fully embrace the Cougars. You're with friends. :crazy:


The only ones biting their nails about a BYU Utah bowl game is airwolf and whittingham. Taysom Hill is the real deal and he's just now hitting his stride; he's going to be scary in 2 months.
C
Cougarbib
5 straight wins. 6 of last 7. 10 points or so from being undefeated with an inexperience offense vs most over-all challenging schedule in history. BSU jinx ended. Wins over Texas, Boise State, USU, Houston, Georgia Tech plus MTSU.



Quit complaining.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolfman
craigoscarson wrote:
I dare say Wolfman is being converted. The passion, the investment, the resolve. Come on Wolfman just fully embrace the Cougars. You're with friends. :crazy:


The only ones biting their nails about a BYU Utah bowl game is airwolf and whittingham. Taysom Hill is the real deal and he's just now hitting his stride.

Don't bet on it... if BYU and Utah play again in a bowl game, Bronco will be having nightmares each day of the week leading up to the game. If they were to play again this year and Bronco loses again, there will be many upset and very irate boosters (not to mention Y fans) and Bronco will come under heavy fire, regardless of what happens the rest of the regular season. Most coaches would be on a hot seat after four straight losses to their rival, but Bronco has avoided that because of keeping the program running relatively free of problems with players off the field. But losing one more and twice in the same season might be too much to continue to ignore simply because you're running a relatively clean program.
C
craigoscarson
Wolfman wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
I dare say Wolfman is being converted. The passion, the investment, the resolve. Come on Wolfman just fully embrace the Cougars. You're with friends. :crazy:


The only ones biting their nails about a BYU Utah bowl game is airwolf and whittingham. Taysom Hill is the real deal and he's just now hitting his stride.

Don't bet on it... if BYU and Utah play again in a bowl game, Bronco will be having nightmares each day of the week leading up to the game. If they were to play again this year and Bronco loses again, there will be many upset and very irate boosters (not to mention Y fans) and Bronco will come under heavy fire, regardless of what happens the rest of the regular season.


Had BYU needed it, it was clear that they could dial up the passing game at will last night. There was no way we were losing. I come from the same school of thought as Anae, except if he's going to deliberately run the ball, he needs to make the guys huddle up and burn that clock... that was most inexplicable. It's not like BYU can't execute a play if they don't get it off in 18 seconds. People clamoring for keeping your foot on the gas don't realize that had we run the ball against Virginia instead of that passing play, we'd likely be in the BCS discussion right now and in the top 20. It's a nice feeling to know our team has made so much progress (particularly the QB) that we'd likely steamroll Va and Utah now.



Bronco isn't the type to have nightmares... he would sleep just fine. BYU would not lose.

I have never been more confident that BYU will win a game. Did you see our offense in the 1st half? Boise has a pretty good D, and our offense shredded it. Combine our defense as motivated as they'd ever be with a confident D and I have never been more sure in my life that BYU wins.

I will bet on it. In fact I'm so confident that BYU wins that I'll give you 6 points and you name the bet... I'm willing to put up to $10k on BYU but it might be as little as a hotdog if you can afford one at Pac Bell park . Let's make it worth your time. Come to the game, I now have purchased 24 tickets all in section 130 between row 1 and row 7. I'll put up for your ticket and when BYU wins you have to wear a BYU jersey and take a picture for everyone here to see.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Wolfman wrote:
I hope Bronco reminds his guys that they're going to need to play out of their minds against Wisconsin and Notre Dame thanks to the gutless wonder they have calling plays. Taysom and the offense rack up 375 yards in the first half and are leading by 21 points and what does Anae do? Call off the dogs. :bug: The result: BYU gets outscored 17-13 in the second half with 3 BSU turnovers and by a back-up QB with a total of 180 yards in the second half. And where is Bronco as Anae is calling off the dogs??? Standing on the sideline, arms folded saying nothing. Mendenhall should have been in Anae's grill asking him what the heck he's doing calling plays the entire second half as if the game is over. Both coaches are dense... flat out dense. BYU has won 5 straight now in spite of the coaching. Incredible!! You have a dynamic, growing QB who is coming into his own passing who can flat out scoot, you're moving the ball effectively and amass 24 points and 375 yards in one half and instead of keeping the pedal to the metal, Anae goes ultra-conservative and begins calling plays as if there are two minutes left in the game with BYU up 21.



If Boise State hadn't had 3 crucial turnovers in the second half, this game goes down the wire thanks to Anae and Bronco. This is why the Cougs are in trouble vs. Wisconsin and Notre Dame... coaching. Nevada had Boise State down 20-7 last week in the 3rd quarter and went a little conservative and paid for it by losing the football game. Barring those 3 TO's in the second half, this would have been a 1-2 possession game late in the 4th thanks to Anae's second half play-calling. Why did they bring this guy back and where is Bronco when his O Coordinator is taking his foot off the gas??? And lastly, I don't want to hear anymore about Bronco being a defensive genius... two back-up QB's have amassed 1,000+ yards on his defense in the last 2 games!

I get it. Irrespective of the facts you want to be mad. We all know that last week everyone agreed that what got Houston back in the game was the Int TD and the long KO return. Anae eliminated the calls that could let that happen with a 3 score lead in the second half, and rather than acknowledging that positive development you at just too dead set on beliving that your drinking glass has pee in it... Enjoy your misery



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.