Archived Topic

Reading way too much into BYU Tip-off

by Qman · 10/24/2013

Advertisement
Q
Qman
Some assorted note from the 20 minutes of scrimmage I watched.



Austin went out the opening minutes with a tooth knocked out or something like that.



Carlino looks healthy and focused. He seemed to know how to use his body better around the rim.



Haws looks great. Same great skill and some more strength. He had a dunk that he finished and continued going up.



KC makes things happen- both good and bad. He was effective scoring over smaller guards with pull-ups and in the post. He had good ideas and bad ideas passing the ball. He didn't seem to have heavy legs.



Mika looks the real deal. Didn't take a jumper but he finished around the hoop and rebounded. He also picked up 4-5 fouls with 20 minutes of running clock. He moves well and he is big.



Bartley is the kind of athlete we rarely get at byu. He is a solid 6'3" and a leaper. Defensively his balance and strength made a difference in keeping Carlino away from the hoop. His shooting stroke is a little strange.

He doesn't look ready to play.



Halford is athletically limited but very skilled player. His 3 point shot is consistently good and he can drive and pass a little. Defensively he tries and is smart too. I think he will provide some minutes off the bench.



Worthington doesn't get off the floor but he can catch the ball and do something with it. He moves better than I hoped but struggled a little with Mika. He got beat by guards at will on the pick and roll. Also he struggled with help D.



Sharp looks the same.



Winder looked more confident. Not a big change in his game. He just takes the ball to the hoop more and in better spots.



All in all Carlino and Haws are our best players. After that it is a toss up between KC and Mika.
Q
Qman
Oh and



Looks like we will start



Carlino

Haws

KC

Austin (if available)

Mika
S
scott715
He had a chipped tooth. Saw a picture, it's about half lost. The subs looked like they have some ability. Winder still can't shoot.
C
Cougs_Rule
Would love to see Haws at the 2. Looks like e has applied his work ethic to the three ball.
B
byufan4ever
Qman wrote:
Oh and



Looks like we will start



Carlino

Haws

KC

Austin (if available)

Mika


This is the line-up I want. Glad to see Coach Rose agrees!



Carlino - Looks to be our #2 scorer this and a legitimate one. Still wish he would pass a little more instead of jacking up shots. 11/21 4/8 5/8 31 Pts 3 A 1 TO.



Haws - Shot the ball very well from everywhere: 3s, FTs, mid-range, had a dunk. 8/12 2/5 10/12 28 Pts 3 A.



KC - Had the most assists and second most rebounds, but still needs to develop a shot. I think he'll improve a lot as the season progress. 2/7 0/0 0/0 4 Pts 10 Reb 7 A 3 TO.



Austin - Nothing to report since he left after a minute, but he needs to step up big because in my opinion we don't have any other decent bigs besides Mika.



Mika - Was decent in the paint and great on the boards (especially offensive), but I didn't see a ton of explosiveness. Yes, he had 1 ally-oop dunk, but from what I saw from just that one game he doesn't seem to be the athlete Davies was. Can he create his own shot? What's his shot range? Would like to see some more blocks. Still, he had a very solid game and will obviously get better. 7/11 0/0 5/7 19 Pts 13 Reb 1 Blk.



Other good performances were by Winder, Halford, Johnston, and Ellis. Sharpe seemed kinda quiet, but I guess he had the type of performance that I'd expect: 2/2 0/0 1/3 5 Pts 7 Reb in 29 minutes. I think we're in trouble if he starts, but I like him as a backup SF/PF.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
I disagree about Davies comparison. Mika was running at half speed and moved tentatively.



Mika is more explosive vertically.
B
BerliNY
From what I saw I'm most excited about Skyler Halford, nice shot, good touch, decent quicks too. Kyle Collinsworth looked really good to me too, at least in terms of athleticism I thought he looked great for how recently he got back from Mother Russia.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.