S
scott715Archived Topic
2013 tv ratings
by scott715 · 10/23/2013
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefanByu vs Utah, not many viewers outside the state. Byu vs Texas was a decent # and best of the year.
Y
YNotA lot of underwhelming TV ratings on ESPNU for the Cougars so far this year.
Texas and Utah games on ESPN2 (late West Coast timing) were decent, but not fantastic.
I bet BYU-Boise St. on ESPN gets at least 2 million viewers. In fact, three of BYU next four games should get pretty good ratings - Boise St. on ESPN on Friday night, Wisconsin (likely on ESPN or ABC) and Notre Dame (NBC).
Texas and Utah games on ESPN2 (late West Coast timing) were decent, but not fantastic.
I bet BYU-Boise St. on ESPN gets at least 2 million viewers. In fact, three of BYU next four games should get pretty good ratings - Boise St. on ESPN on Friday night, Wisconsin (likely on ESPN or ABC) and Notre Dame (NBC).
S
scott715Hope so. I expected better numbers. Thought Texas would be better. It was Texas for heaven sake. I guess they get crappy ratings.
E
EM_PumaVery disappointed at the numbers. Not consistent with what we've seen in the past. I've always been a sceptic of how these polls are conducted, but have not studied the process. I've only participated in such a rating once in my life and that was as a kid in the 60-'s and 70's and it was a manual log I had to complete and return. I have no idea how they do it today.
Advertisement
E
EM_PumaThis was the recent story that casts a shadow on the ratings of those games:
"Minor (Mikel Minor, senior coordinating producer of sports programming at BYUtv) recalls a meeting at ESPN where someone in programming listed 10 collegiate football programs on the board. He said that the numbers indicated, and the network recognized, these schools as having national value from an audience standpoint. Then, a circle was drawn around three schools that the network said it would take any time it could get them.
BYU was one of the three."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865589053/Ryan-Teeples-Understanding-the-factors-that-affect-BYU-football-TV-broadcasts.html " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not according to the ratings appearing on the report that is referenced in this thread and makes me wonder who is right and if the numbers reported are actually reliable.
"Minor (Mikel Minor, senior coordinating producer of sports programming at BYUtv) recalls a meeting at ESPN where someone in programming listed 10 collegiate football programs on the board. He said that the numbers indicated, and the network recognized, these schools as having national value from an audience standpoint. Then, a circle was drawn around three schools that the network said it would take any time it could get them.
BYU was one of the three."
Not according to the ratings appearing on the report that is referenced in this thread and makes me wonder who is right and if the numbers reported are actually reliable.
S
snoscytheHow badly were UVA and Texas games affected by 2+ hour delays?
C
Cougarfan87snoscythe wrote:
How badly were UVA and Texas games affected by 2+ hour delays?
That is a very good point. I am sure the weather delays had to impact the casual fan looking for a game. I wouldn't come back to a game delayed by two hours if there were other good games on into which I had already invested my time and attention.
Y
YNotEM_Puma wrote:
Very disappointed at the numbers. Not consistent with what we've seen in the past. I've always been a sceptic of how these polls are conducted, but have not studied the process. I've only participated in such a rating once in my life and that was as a kid in the 60-'s and 70's and it was a manual log I had to complete and return. I have no idea how they do it today.
I did it last year. Manual log that you filled out FOR EACH TV in the house and mailed it back to Nielsen's. Kind of dumb. I got like $5 [cash, in $1 bills] for participating. Does that buy a J-Dawg's dog?
S
scott715Nope but you represented BYU. Good for you (I assume you watched all of the games).
Advertisement
S
scott715"Itâs also clear from ESPN's comments as well as ratings published by sites like sportsmediawatch.com that BYU outdraws the season average on each network."
"next weekâs Boise State at BYU game could easily be BYUâs most-watched game of this season."
"That same Nielsen data indicates that games on ABC are typically the big performers. ESPNU broadcasts lag significantly behind all other ESPN networks, but still generally drive higher viewership than the non-ESPN cable sports networks, such as Fox Sports 1."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865589053/Ryan-Teeples-Understanding-the-factors-that-affect-BYU-football-TV-broadcasts.html?pg=1 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"next weekâs Boise State at BYU game could easily be BYUâs most-watched game of this season."
"That same Nielsen data indicates that games on ABC are typically the big performers. ESPNU broadcasts lag significantly behind all other ESPN networks, but still generally drive higher viewership than the non-ESPN cable sports networks, such as Fox Sports 1."
S
snoscytheYNot wrote:
Does that buy a J-Dawg's dog?
Just the bun.
S
stgeorgefanEspnU should naturally be low due to it being a premium channel on most cable/sat. providers. You'd have to know how many homes have ESPNU to get a good %.
The rain delay had to be an issue for the Texas game. Texas had good ratings every other game.
The rain delay had to be an issue for the Texas game. Texas had good ratings every other game.
S
scott715Heard the BSY game drew a 1.3 or 2M viewers. Pretty good.
C
CougarbibGivwn that even for fans, BYU football might be 5th priority, are BYU fans more likely than other fans to DVR it, watch it after the kids are in bed and the wife is preparing her Gospel Doctrine lesson, and FF through the commercials - sometimes even abandoning that plan and nor even watching it because someone blurted out the score and highlights?
I wonder how that affects the ratings.
I wonder how that affects the ratings.
Advertisement
S
scott715Evaluation of years ratings.
http://www.loyalcougars.com/2013/12/20/byu-football/2733-byu-tv-ratings-2013-season-espn/ " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
S
scott7152.3 and 3.75m viewers. Good numbers. We beat the Holiday bowl and USC's game as examples.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

