Archived Topic

Watch the Houston game again and ask yourself...

by Brayden Green · 10/22/2013

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Do CraigO and I a favor:



Watch the game again and ask yourself...



Where is this Houston team ranked in terms of overall personnel (height and weight of defensive players, how they match up against us, etc)?



Do they have any business continuously turning our offense away? (Six 3 and outs, 7 for 21 on third downs, etc).



After the first quarter, do you notice the change in defensive strategy, and do you see any change in what we do?

- For example: When they are in an all out blitz, do we throw short slants and screens (either WR screens, or HB screens) to counteract the rush, or do we continue to use slow developing plays and go downfield (slow developing as in a slow HB option read, or sweep handoffs, or qb rollouts with passing options downfield, etc).



It's on BYUtv now. Set your DVRs or re watch your recordings. :) You might be surprised at what you see, and if you aren't I'd like to hear what you do see instead.
D
dsmith1212
Pet peeve time:



If one would say "Do me a favor," one should never say "Do CraigO and I a favor."



It is both proper and necessary to say "Do CraigO and me a favor."



This is all the result of the pendulum swinging too far away from the incorrect "CraigO and me went to the store."
C
Cougs_Rule
Why can't Byu/Anae do quick slants to counter blitz? It's a great point. Does BYU ever do those or just audible to a run?
M
mizzoucoug
dsmith1212 wrote:
Pet peeve time:



If one would say "Do me a favor," one should never say "Do CraigO and I a favor."



It is both proper and necessary to say "Do CraigO and me a favor."



This is all the result of the pendulum swinging too far away from the incorrect "CraigO and me went to the store."


Amen.
C
craigoscarson
What did we go to the store for?
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
craigoscarson wrote:
What did we go to the store for?


A bag of dip size Frito's and 2 Litre's of Coke Zero. 8)
C
craigoscarson
Ddawg wrote:
What did we go to the store for?


A bag of dip size Frito's and 2 Litre's of Coke Zero. 8)


but no dip.... lame
M
Mars
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Why can't Byu/Anae do quick slants to counter blitz? It's a great point. Does BYU ever do those or just audible to a run?

Because Taysom Hill is the only BYU QB on the roster that cannot throw a 4-yard pass to a running back. I guess.
B
BYULV
Mars wrote:
Why can't Byu/Anae do quick slants to counter blitz? It's a great point. Does BYU ever do those or just audible to a run?

Because Taysom Hill is the only BYU QB on the roster that cannot throw a 4-yard pass to a running back. I guess.


Actually, it's probably because when we throw those to the running backs, there is a 50-50 chance it's going to get tipped up to the defense
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Why can't Byu/Anae do quick slants to counter blitz? It's a great point. Does BYU ever do those or just audible to a run?

Because Taysom Hill is the only BYU QB on the roster that cannot throw a 4-yard pass to a running back. I guess.


Actually, it's probably because when we throw those to the running backs, there is a 50-50 chance it's going to get tipped up to the defense


This.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
So, is it a height problem? Is THill not tall enough? Of course, THill has had two critical picks this year on swing passes. Game ender vs UVA (mistimed jump by JW on a slightly high pass) and then vs UH earlier on the game. I don't get it. Didnt Riley live off of short dump off passes to Cody? How about an audible to a screen pass?

I'm not whining or criticizing, like usual, just asking.
G
Guest
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.


Not sure I saw anyone directly asking for that. I was more wondering about blitz beaters such as quick slants, using big bodies like TEs and Cody to shield defender and get a pass.

I coupled in those short RB outs only to concede that those haven't worked very well.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.

Obvious answer. The athletes on the bench are far superior to the ones on the field. In this case, JW was out during the time period in question, so those superior athletes had inadvertently found themselves playing. Except AO. Anae should have done a reverse Wildcat kind of thing snd put AO in to throw to Algie.



TIC. Thought I would clarify that for the 1 or 2 obtuse posters who might think I was being serious.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Ddawg wrote:
What did we go to the store for?


A bag of dip size Frito's and 2 Litre's of Coke Zero. 8)

Don't forget the frozen Burrito's
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.


Not sure I saw anyone directly asking for that. I was more wondering about blitz beaters such as quick slants, using big bodies like TEs and Cody to shield defender and get a pass.

I coupled in those short RB outs only to concede that those haven't worked very well.


Which Tight End did you want to bet the game on? Friel had his FIRST CATCH OF THE SEASON Saturday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
hawkwing wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.

John Beck to Curtis Brown? Worked every time.
G
Guest
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.

John Beck to Curtis Brown? Worked every time.


Loved that play, I'll love it again too, once BYU's RB learn how to catch a pass and Taysom learns how to float a ball over a line backer that is in between him and the RB.



Look at the RBER for RBs, is that really who we want to focus our passing game on?
F
frdbtr
I watched the game last night and the problem was offensive line mistakes that caused most of those 3 and outs. Yes, we missed some blitzes but far more often drives were stopped by penalties or a bad snap once. This entire premise is inaccurate.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
The worst pass in the BYU offense is the short out to the RB. It has an almost equal chance of being intercepted as completed. I'm not sure why people want BYU to run more of it.

John Beck to Curtis Brown? Worked every time.


Loved that play, I'll love it again too, once BYU's RB learn how to catch a pass and Taysom learns how to float a ball over a line backer that is in between him and the RB.



Look at the RBER for RBs, is that really who we want to focus our passing game on?


Fair points, especially considering JWs bobbled pass at UVA. Anae needs to add this to the arsenal. Blitzes will only increase to pound Hill in order to shut him down. Tis offense needs quick slants and dump off abilities.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.