Archived Topic

Bench Williams - no Grit....

by kjjson · 10/22/2013

Advertisement
K
kjjson
So in an article, Williams said, "During halftime it swelled up and I wasn’t able to run as well as I am used to," said Williams, who had three rushing attempts in the third quarter before leaving the game for good. "… It felt like I was hurting the team if I was to keep playing, with my hip. I just told coach that I had to [come out]."



I'm sure it was tough on Williams to be on the sidelines in that game, but I have a lot of respect for him to speak up and say that he felt he was hurting the team and his confidence in those behind him was greater than his own desire to play/help the team. He has been an impressive player and I am excited for his future and hope he can get healthy.



(In case it was missed, my topic title was TIC).
S
Screamineagle
Everything I have seen and heard shows he is a good player and even better guy.Sounds like he has a great Mom and I spent a lot of time in his hometown to boot.Happy to have him here hope the injury bug quits biting him soon.
1
1967cougar
That attitude is so much better than being a kind of guy that KNOWS he can't perform well, KNOWS he's hurting the team, but still insists on being out there (to the point of lying to the coaches) because he thinks he's a STUD.
G
Gunk
Let's see...So far this season Williams has sustained a concussion, nearly broke his neck, had his back bent way too far back, and a hip injury. Guy has grit. No question, and now it's very apparent that he not only has grit but smarts.
A
ABYUFAN
Just for the heck of it , let me say this. I enjoy watching Williams almost more than any other athlete that we've had here in a long time.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Williams is like a Harvey Unga with big play ability. Unga may have been able to bash his way through linebackers little better (Williams is no slouch in this area), but if Williams gets any open space at all it goes for 20+ yards.
V
vancouvercougar
It's too bad that Riley didn't have Jamal's grit and know when to take himself out of the game.
G
Gunk
vancouvercougar wrote:
It's too bad that Riley didn't have Jamal's grit and know when to take himself out of the game.


I'm not sure it really would have changed things.



Fine, we might have seen some more of Lark or Hill last season had Riley taken himself out of games, but I don't it would have led to a magical season. We still would have lost a few games and still would have gone to the Armed Forces bowl or whatever bowl we went to last season.
J
jonnylingo
Love hearing that he was willing to take himself out for the best of the team. refreshing after riley's selfish and stupid approach. nobody question that he plays hard and physical. But he is team first. Had Riley adopted that attitude we would have beat Boise State last year.
S
scott715
And it was SDSU in the Poinsetta bowl with the KVN highlight real.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Jamaal is like JJ DiLuigi, but a much better runner (and not nearly as good a pass catcher). And without JJ, Bronco would have about 2-3 less bowl games under his belt than he does now.
S
Sammich
I would say he is a faster and more powerful runner than JJ. JJ was fast, but if anyone caught him, he was going down. Williams often powers his way through defenders.
N
nuk13
Sammich wrote:
I would say he is a faster and more powerful runner than JJ. JJ was fast, but if anyone caught him, he was going down. Williams often powers his way through defenders.

and he will improve as a receiver, at least by next season.
J
jonnylingo
Sammich wrote:
I would say he is a faster and more powerful runner than JJ. JJ was fast, but if anyone caught him, he was going down. Williams often powers his way through defenders.


He always surprises me. he must be very strong for how he powers through bigger guys at his size. i rewatched part of the game last night and william just manhandled an offensive lineman i believe. he was helping block and it was unreal. he put the dude on his butt.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
I would say he is a faster and more powerful runner than JJ. JJ was fast, but if anyone caught him, he was going down. Williams often powers his way through defenders.


He always surprises me. he must be very strong for how he powers through bigger guys at his size. i rewatched part of the game last night and william just manhandled an offensive lineman i believe. he was helping block and it was unreal. he put the dude on his butt.


Exactly, which is why it's so surprising to me when he struggles sometimes so much to pick up the blitz. I think it has more to do with not getting in the right position, which will come with reps, but if the defense brings 6 and the RB stays in to block, it hasn't worked well for BYU to date.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.